Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Virtual Instrument Panel - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Kia
imageVirtual Instrument Panel - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Kia K900 has an instrument panel that's made up entirely of virtual gauges that appear on a screen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    I can see that becoming annoying.
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Let's see, an angry car appears out of the black and then two white circles bounce against each other like cute little bubbles before becoming gauges. No, not in a luxury car. It's just overdone and would grow tiresome over time, like that stupid full gauge sweep of the needles that a lot of cars (including a Ford Super Duty, good grief) give you at start up. Just fade them in. I don't want to wait for the gimmick to finish to see that my engine has started on the tachometer. And when they try to simulate the center hub of the needle with its fake 3D shading, it never comes out quite right. I'll take physical analog gauges any day of the week.
  • Options
    I just looked up a start video for the Lexus I350 Fsport with the digital tachometer and*that's* how you do this properly. No gimmicks.
  • Options
    scorp76scorp76 Member Posts: 2
    Right, if this same sequence was found in a m-b or lex it'd be the greatest and coolest thing ever. Haters will do their job....
  • Options
    goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    If little things like that annoy some here, it's a miracle they haven't had a heart attack by the time they become 20 yo...
    I like it but I won't pay much attention to it after a month or two.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @scorp76, That may be so, but the difference is that MB or Lexus would never put something like this in their cars. Personally it doesn't bother me, but gimmicks like this are not the way companies like BMW, MB, or Lexus operate. To be frank, they don't need gimmicks to stand out.
  • Options
    jdubbs115jdubbs115 Member Posts: 3

@scorp76, That may be so, but the difference is that MB or Lexus would never put something like this in their cars. Personally it doesn't bother me, but gimmicks like this are not the way companies like BMW, MB, or Lexus operate. To be frank, they don't need gimmicks to stand out.

Except that's exactly what MB does. Their new dual screen layout in the S-Class is full of pointless animations and gimmicks, you just weren't made aware. Cadillac also does it. It adds to the ownership experience. Otherwise, why bother going LCD at all? Lexus, BMW, and others don't even have a full LCD gauge setup yet.
  • Options
    "Right, if this same sequence was found in a m-b or lex it'd be the greatest and coolest thing ever. Haters will do their job.... "

Blaming criticism on "haters" is the laziest defense in the world. That startup sequence is gimmicky regardless of what badge is on the steering wheel.