Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Ford Mustang Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford
image2015 Ford Mustang Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.com conducts a road test of the 2015 Ford Mustang, where we drive the GT model with its V8 and the turbocharged EcoBoost version.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Beautiful car both inside and out. A very good effort from Ford (though it could have been lighter). I hope the new Mustang does well overseas. I also hope very much that Edmunds adds a Mustang GT with the Performance Pack to the long-term fleet. It seems that the Performance Pack is mandatory for enthusiasts.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    as an owner of a 2006 gt i just can't get excited about it.

i bought mine for 25k new; so i didn't mind dropping a thousand or so dollars modifying the suspension, a thousand on proper wheels, several hundred on sticky summer tires, and a little over a thousand on brembo brakes. i think another thousand on a watts link might make the car damn near perfect if i ever get around to it.

but to have to spend 35k for the latest car and it sounds like you still need to go to the aftermarket to fix the suspension? sorry, they should have gotten it right out of the factory for that much money. throw in a bland exterior...

also, my car already feels like a pig on the road course and it is around 3500 lbs. really disappointed with the weight gain.
  • Options
    cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30
    OK, so where is the track test, Edmunds?
  • Options
    patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    Hmm, not exactly a stellar review.
  • Options
    having said all of that above, until i see the car in person and drive it myself... i still remain open to an upgrade.
  • Options
    kosmo69kosmo69 Member Posts: 5
    Good job Ford, Im looking forward to it. Bring on the BOSS!
  • Options
    kosmo69kosmo69 Member Posts: 5
    isnt it interesting that the upcoming F150 will have an aluminum body but the Mustang does not???
  • Options
    mzachmanmzachman Member Posts: 2
    From what I have read it sounds like you should stick with the current gen Camaro or the previous gen Mustang. Once the new Camaro comes out we will definitely see how poor this car might be.
  • Options
    jpk112jpk112 Member Posts: 12
    Nice review, I can't wait to see the car in person.
  • Options
    s544s544 Member Posts: 1
    always been a muscle car type of guy, mainly a Chevrolet guy. So after hearing that Ford was finally doing an IRS and ditching the live rear axle, I was hoping that they wouldn't repeat GM's mistake in making the Camaro so portly and big. the platform of the Camaro was intended for large sedans but they managed to retro fit it (platform code name Zeta) for the Camaro despite the fact that it weighed so much. I figured that Ford was creating a dedicated platform for the new Mustang where they would pour engineering R&D into it, like its doing for the aluminum body of the new F150, for their pony car that it would take the lead in weight and design. its a shame that it weighs so much. wouldn't doubt it if the next generation Camaro tips the 4,000 pound scale if this is an engineering trend.
  • Options
    studadstudad Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2014
    I had a chance to get a good look and talked to the guys that are here in LA with about 50 new Mustangs in all trim levels. To all the naysayers, looks are subjective so i won't comment on that. As far as the rest of the car, all i can say is, Ford just moved the Mustang into a whole different league. ANY shortcomings that may have existed are gone. The new interior in premium trim looks and feels like any high end euro-sports car. The new wheel options are awesome. This car is a game changer for Mustang. The competition has some real catching up to do to play with this pony.
  • Options
    studadstudad Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2014
    s197gt said:

i bought mine for 25k new; so i didn't mind dropping a thousand or so dollars modifying the suspension, a thousand on proper wheels, several hundred on sticky summer tires, and a little over a thousand on brembo brakes. i think another thousand on a watts link might make the car damn near perfect if i ever get around to it.

but to have to spend 35k for the latest car and it sounds like you still need to go to the aftermarket to fix the suspension? sorry, they should have gotten it right out of the factory for that much money. throw in a bland exterior...

also, my car already feels like a pig on the road course and it is around 3500 lbs. really disappointed with the weight gain.

As an owner of an '11 GT, i'm very excited. I think you're being a bit conservative on the cost for those upgrades even if you were able to do the labor yourself. Opt for the trac-pac on the '15 and all you will see is its taillights. Trust me, this car is no pig.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Um, this is what is called a driving impression - or a first drive. Why is it being billed as a road test - ?
  • Options
    rasguetano1rasguetano1 Member Posts: 2
    I think the Mustang turned out ( size wise )the way it did for two reasons 1 - for Ford its a low volume production car and they can't cost justify putting lighter weight components the way they did with the F-150. 2 - since this is their only IRS rear wheel drive platform its going to be the spring board for "X" number of models for Lincoln. GM will take the right tack ( and I'm saying this as a 2010 GT owner) where the next Camaro will be based on the ATS so it will be the "correct" size and weight addressing coincidentally for us geaheads the grousing that we have done about the size and weight of the Mustang.
  • Options
    kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150
    not impressed with the "new" design the 15 should have been a major improvement but it still looks like the 14 in too many ways. almost like a Focus front end stuck on it. No wonder the competition is beating the Stang in sales.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    studad said:

s197gt said:

As an owner of an '11 GT, i'm very excited. I think you're being a bit conservative on the cost for those upgrades even if you were able to do the labor yourself. Opt for the trac-pac on the '15 and all you will see is its taillights. Trust me, this car is no pig.
    i was a bit conservative on the suspension mods because i did not include labor. my upgrades were springs, dampers, caster/camber plates, panhard and brace; with labor and alignment no more than $1500. everything else is accurate.

and i'm not saying you can't make a pig dance but my car is around 3600 lbs and feels fat on the road course. but checky randy pobst's review of the mustang at that other site. it is still let down by its dampers...
  • Options
    rockcrawler11rockcrawler11 Member Posts: 11
    kosmo69 said:

isnt it interesting that the upcoming F150 will have an aluminum body but the Mustang does not???

I didn't realize that... Ford Skips they're most iconic vehicle to be an aluminum candidate instead they aluminize their best selling truck. I wonder if engineers argued over that.

• Options
    brispibrispi Member Posts: 1
    I test drove one today (this is the very first Mustang I have ever driven; by the way), and I absolutely loved it! Beautiful car! After doing research on line; I loved the front end, wasn't really a fan of the fast back look, and I wasn't in love with the rear, but in person, this car is Beautiful...
    My current Lease is up this Summer, and I think I found my new car!
  • Options
    solar903solar903 Member Posts: 1
    I brought the 2015 mustang GT with the Track package. Its a great car powerful comfortable and good looking.