Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet
image2015 Chevrolet Colorado Road Test | Edmunds.com

We test the all-new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado, which returns to the compact pickup truck segment after a two-year absence.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150
    I miss the days of a plain pick up
  • Options
    brenrobrenro Member Posts: 38
    Th two main reasons I see to think twice are fuel mileage is not significantly better than full size trucks and it costs nearly as much as well.
  • Options
    sldl2004sldl2004 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    I have to agree with brenro on the price. For not much more money, you could get a full-size 1/2 ton truck with a V8. The Colorado seems a bit pricey for what you get.
  • Options
    drivewelldrivewell Member Posts: 1
    Is it just me or is there anyone else tired of people commenting on this or in any other forums that for not much more money you can get a full size truck? People like myself are interested in the Colorado/Canyon because we simply DON"T WANT a FULL size truck! A full size truck is just too big for our wants and needs for a number of reasons. There's even people commenting disappointment that it's still too big given it's 90% of the size of a Silverado. I don't know how small people want to go but the point is they DON'T WANT a LARGER TRUCK than the new Colorado. If they did they wouldn't be here. OK? Yeah, sure you'd want a better price spread but that's economics. The same goes for cars. Got that off my chest, now how about that ridiculous Chicken Tax?
  • Options
    swampaswampa Member Posts: 1
    um i beg to differ on the leg room,I had a 2011 nissan frontier crewcab PRO-4X and my son is 5 feet 10 and with my seat adjusted his knees never even came close to hitting the back of the seats,I sat in a 2015 colorado crewcab LT at the eastern states exposition in west springfield massachusetts and I sat in front and adjusted the seat to my liking and had my son sit in the back and his knees were hitting the back of the seat so how can chevy say over 2 inches of rear leg room over the frontier?
  • Options
    spyderpaspyderpa Member Posts: 3
    Knowing that I'm in the market for a replacement for my 4x4 Dakota within the next year, this is the model I was waiting on before I decided whether to go truck again or switch to a crossover (like Forester or Escape, for instance). Seeing as my budget will likely be under $30,000 and the 4x4 crew cab is not even an option at that price point, it looks like the crossover wins.
  • Options
    atwowheelguyatwowheelguy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    I purchased a new F150 XLT SuperCrew Ecoboost last year for 25% off the MSRP. Maybe the Chevy will be priced similarly.
  • Options
    myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2014
    Building them online at a site that sells you the things at a fixed price, you can get a nicely equipped version of this with the 3.6L, crew cab, tow pkg, lsd, bose, and nav for the low 30's. (2wd).
    Other than year-end sales, you can't do that with full size trucks, especially Chevrolets. Those little extras are often available only on upper trim levels or with various mandatory packages. You CAN buy a full size truck for a similar price, it just won't be as well equipped.

Also, do NOT compare a 2014 leftover price on a full size to a new release 2015 Colorado. Depreciation will simply grab the money back at resale time, as your truck looks 1 year older to a used car manager with a price guide. Even with typical incentives, loaded up, full size trucks are still 3-6K more, depending on brand and current incentives. Expect modest incentives on Colorados once the rush to buy the new design wears off in a year. A 3.6L will come cheaper once the diesel shows up, also.

If you WANT a smaller truck, then bigger trucks add nothing to the equation. I say this as the owner of a 5700 lb FX4 and previously about 12 other trucks of all sorts. So resist the temptation to "buy by the pound". Nothing sucks more than having to travel tight urban streets and find parking in a 22 foot monster on a crowded day. Get what you want, not what [non-permissible content removed]individuals tell you to buy.
  • Options
    fhm2fhm2 Member Posts: 1
    I saw the Colorado and Canyon. Only crew cabs are out there. I did not find the design esthetically pleasing at all. The only thing mid size is the width and a little length... all sacrificing cab room. The step in height was considerably more than a Sierra on the floor next to them. I found it to be a huge disappointment. I waited 2 years for a mid-size PU and this wasn't it. The bed is just as high off the ground as the Silverado. I will probably get another Silverado. I wanted to trade down in size but this just trades down in comfort and looks.
  • Options
    cabo3cabo3 Member Posts: 2
    I would be wary of those gas milage estimates. I just bought a 2014 GMC Sierra and it gets no where close to the estimates on the window sticker.When I asked the dealer about it they blamed gas quality--ethanol gas ect and ect. If you plan to buy make the dealer fill the truck up and test it yourself. I have bought GM trucks for over 50 years and will never buy another due to this BS advertising on gas milage. Toyota trucks always get better than window sticker estimates and the company does that to be truthful as possible. GM --you lost my business and my respect!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How much gas have you burned so far? On my last new car the mpg didn't really hit its stride until 10,000 miles. I wouldn't be too worried until you have at least 3,000 or 4,000 miles on it. Plus you may be dealing with winter gas and using the heater can hurt your mpg a little bit too.
  • Options
    mich_chowmich_chow Member Posts: 58
    I am in the market for a new mid sized truck and my options are Tacoma, Frontier, and Colorado. I am curious if there is someone who has drive all these three and what is your opinion. Of course this is a personal preference, but I am curious to hear your opinion. Any other comments comparing these would be helpful also. Thanks!