Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Toyota Camry Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Toyota
image2015 Toyota Camry Road Test | Edmunds.com

First driving impressions of the heavily revised 2015 Toyota Camry, including information about styling, interior quality, fuel economy and pricing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    A decent mid-cycle refresh to keep things competitive. I would also agree that the Camry Hybrid needs some improved tech. That said, the older tech is tried-and-true and costs thousands less than their Honda/Ford counterparts - which of course pays for a lot of gas.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2014
    Hyundai is laughing in their HQs. They're thinking they just retired the previous Sonata, and BAM, here it is again. But looking hideous. Come on, Toyota. [non-permissible content removed] is wrong with you? This looks absolutely hideous and that fake piano black and chrome on the C-pillar is absolutely embarrassing. Not to mention the overexaggerated Predator mouth opening for the grille. The Accord looks outright classy compared to this. The Fusion looks outright sophisticated compared to this. The Mazda 6 looks outright fashionable compared to this. The new Chrysler 200 looks handsome compared to this. Fail, Toyota, fail. Though I'm sure you'll still sell them by the truckload.
  • nissan_rocksnissan_rocks Member Posts: 7
    Horrendous design, everything out there looks better than this.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    No leather available on the XSE (only suede)? I couldn't believe that! No LED turn signals? Even the Toyota corolla has them! No LED taillights? They are available on quite a few of camry's competitors. I think the camry was really lagging behind its competitors and Toyota worked hard in an effort to catch up, but they obviously missed a few things.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    An updated Camry to keep the faithful in the fold. The rest of us will continue to look elsewhere.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    Overall, the shape is much more modern. I could question some of the details, but it sells in such volume that the new has to stand out from the old. Is Camry "too big to fail?" Probably.
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    It resembles the Lexus ES a little too much now. Depending on how excited you are about this segment, this is a great thing if you're interested in the Toyota, though not so much for those who've forked over the dough for the Lexus already.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2014
    I find it hard to believe there are people who want their car to look like this. I agree the Accord is gorgeous compared to this, and still lots of people will buy it.
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    One of the ugliest sedans of the modern era
  • mitt_zombie1mitt_zombie1 Member Posts: 32
    Bring back the V6 with a manual and it might get consideration by default since that is a dying combo some people like me still want....
  • wiseoldfartwiseoldfart Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    It looks like I'll be keeping my 2012 Camry LE a few more years. Why not? It's been absolutely perfect for 34,000 miles. I'll test drive the 2015 SE just to see if it feels that much better with less road noise, but it will have to be a considerable improvement.

I'll also test drive a Mazda6 while I'm at it. I do like its looks and I'm sure I'll like its handling. If it's noisier and thumpier on the road than the Camry SE, that will break the deal.
    Toyota may have gotten too flashy with this Camry. You'd think Toyota would have kept its looks on the conservative side to maintain its appeal to an increasing number of older folks like me. We'll see if the flashy looks cause this Camry to lose its advantage over the Accord, Sonata, and a few others.

Bring back the V6 with a manual and it might get consideration by default since that is a dying combo some people like me still want....

Not enough people want a manual Camry to interest Toyota. There's always the Mazda6.

• mrdmanoharmrdmanohar Member Posts: 1
    Does Camry 2015 have only one interior (Including dashboard) color?
    edited September 2014
    The Fusion is NOT a reliable car. Ford has once again regained its bad reputation in that department. The Fusion I rented last year with 30k miles on it had a bad wheel bearing, slightly warped discs, a few buzzes and rattles, the engine was not as smooth or as strong as my 2012 Camry LE. The 6AT was not as smooth, the climate control was annoying with its clicks on and off. I was so glad to get back to my Camry which has none of these problems. It's still perfect after 34k miles and doesn't use even a half quart of oil in 10k miles. The Camry SE four-banger I rented last month felt as buttoned down as the Fusion and I really liked it despite a little extra tire thump than I get on my LE. The 2015 SE should handle even better, ride better, and be a little quieter. We'll see.

The Accord is OK, I suppose, but I'm either going for a 2015 Camry SE four-banger or an Acura TLX, which appears to be a better car than all of the top sedans in this group. The TLX has a reported quiet, plush, yet somewhat sporty ride. If the TLX is that much better than the Camry SE, I'll pay the premium. The Mazda6 would be too noisy for me, according to all the reports about wind and road noise. Otherwise, I'd be looking at it. There's no excuse for road and wind noise in this class! Corner cutting!
    A word to the wise: If you want the SE version, make sure you get one with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, not Bridgestone Turanza EL 400's. I'm seeing both tires on the SE's. The Primacy tires are rated much higher and are quieter. Demand them as part of the deal.
  • arthosarthos Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2012 Toyota Camry SE, and love it, and as i cant seem to find sensible argument here as to why the Camry isnt a good car, other than people calling them "ugly", so i will just say this. It has blown my mind, i have driven alot of cars in my life, and this one ranks in the top ten. Not because its a super car, but because its super at what it does. Id didn't expect this from Toyota, and the look of the new one is sleek, modern, and well thought out, so I can honestly say, that at this rate, my next car will be a Toyota Camry SE.
  • carandetccarandetc Member Posts: 22

A word to the wise: If you want the SE version, make sure you get one with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, not Bridgestone Turanza EL 400's. I'm seeing both tires on the SE's. The Primacy tires are rated much higher and are quieter. Demand them as part of the deal.

I did not see the Michelin as an option. How would you demand it?
    thanks

• oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2015
    And still they wondered and still the wonder tends to grow, that one car panned so publicly here, could be a best seller 13 years in a row.

"The Toyota Camry was America’s most popular car in 2014, the 13th consecutive year in which the Camry has led all passenger cars. The Camry ranked fourth among vehicles overall, trailing only three pickup trucks."

• mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    edited February 2015
    I drive my dad's 2005 Camry v6se now and then in the winter to keep in charged up. Not a squeek, rattle or hum or shimmy on that 10 year old car, it still feels like new. It has not had a single repair no matter how minor. I test drove 2 brand new 2015 Mustangs that both had a rattle or vibration....

The new one is not the greatest looking car, but looks better than say a Malibu and really few cars today are really great looking. People calling this car ugly might just be mad they bought a German or Chrysler lemon... It may not be a "head turner" but it is also pretty immune to getting tickets. You want to turn heads drive an AMC Pacer....
  • yellowmiatayellowmiata Member Posts: 23
    oparr said:

And still they wondered and still the wonder tends to grow, that one car panned so publicly here, could be a best seller 13 years in a row.

"The Toyota Camry was America’s most popular car in 2014, the 13th consecutive year in which the Camry has led all passenger cars. The Camry ranked fourth among vehicles overall, trailing only three pickup trucks."

I guess that speaks to the audience Edmunds.com is attracting - not the people who buy the best seller 13 years in a row, but the edge cases.
  • gofortheneckgofortheneck Member Posts: 42
    We have a Camry. We bought it because, in our long history of buying Toyota vehicles, we've found that nothing goes wrong with Toyota cars. And I do mean NOTHING!

But the car is not perfect; there is more wind noise and road rumble intruding into the cabin than there should be for a 30K car.

I love Toyota's durability and reliability, but in today's market they need to step up their efforts. We'll look at Camrys next time, first, but if they are not significantly quieter, we'll start looking elsewhere.
  • ne1butu2ne1butu2 Member Posts: 21
    When I rent cars, I often get one of these. Dreadful dynamics. Yes it's a reliable car, but so is a Buick. That's not enough to make me want either. Cars like this are reliable because there is absolutely nothing being asked of any of the components. The interior is junky, but buyers don't care. There's no brake dust on the front wheels because low performance brake pads don't create much dust. It's dorky, but buyers don't care. Its performance is mediocre in every way, but buyers don't care. It will start every time with almost no maintenance for a decade. I get that, but is that it? I have an Audi that has been rock solid for over a decade. I knew back in 04 that statistically, there's a greater potential that the Audi would have been less reliable. But that hasn't been the case, and it's still an amazing car in every way. If ever there's a day that all I expect out of a car is lower potential of maintenance or inconvenience, then that's when life has hit rock bottom. The second worst thing to owning one is being behind one going 50 in the left lane.
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2015
    ne1butu2 said:

When I rent cars, I often get one of these. Dreadful dynamics. Yes it's a reliable car, but so is a Buick. That's not enough to make me want either. Cars like this are reliable because there is absolutely nothing being asked of any of the components. The interior is junky, but buyers don't care. There's no brake dust on the front wheels because low performance brake pads don't create much dust. It's dorky, but buyers don't care. Its performance is mediocre in every way, but buyers don't care. It will start every time with almost no maintenance for a decade. I get that, but is that it? I have an Audi that has been rock solid for over a decade. I knew back in 04 that statistically, there's a greater potential that the Audi would have been less reliable. But that hasn't been the case, and it's still an amazing car in every way. If ever there's a day that all I expect out of a car is lower potential of maintenance or inconvenience, then that's when life has hit rock bottom. The second worst thing to owning one is being behind one going 50 in the left lane.

You left out the 24 months free maintenance and roadside assistance, perfect for leasing. How many months do you get on an Accord these days? Camry owners have imagination, they can picture themselves on the autobahn even when driving less than 65 in the left lane.

• jsimons92jsimons92 Member Posts: 1
    I got the 2015 Toyota Camry XLE with the V6 engine as a loaner while the dealer was installing cruise on my Pontiac. I don't like it. The handling sucks, wheel jerks every bump, you can feel every small bump. To many buttons so a easily distracted person can crash it easily. The only thing I like is the LED lights and gas mileage. If I had the money to buy it. I would not. I even uploaded a video to you tube reviewing the car. And the paddle shifters, pointless, you can shift it by pushing the paddle shifters or the shifter knob up or down. If you want that, then install a clutch and just make it a manual. I like going clutch one, clutch two, ect. not up, up, up. down down.