Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Why aren't my back brakes working on a '93 Buick Regal Limited?

dave93buickdave93buick Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Buick

my back brakes are not working ? Can someone help me to diagnose it Please ???

Answers

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited September 2014
    If I recall that period. there were some problems with the rear calipers. Because the rear brakes did so little of the work, the calipers tended to freeze up and not slide correctly. That could be the piston and seal or it could be due to the bolts and slides that let the caliper squeeze like a thumb and palm. Because the fronts did most of the braking, they worked harder and people notices quick wear on their fronts without realizing the rears were the problem.

Replace the calipers--I'd suggest ones with pads included. This will not replace the bolts with the slides on them, #23 and #12. I'd buy them and replace them because they corrode and impede easy movement. Check the rubber seals that are #11 in the picture. I'd also replace them if they are not included in the replacement calipers. Take time to compare the calipers offered and compare what parts those calipers include from various sources. It's my thinking that some include more than the others. You would be best off with a caliper that included bolts, slides, rubber grommets, and all.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/960209GM04-374.JPG

parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=400816&ukey_make=1022&ukey_model=14449&modelYear=1993&ukey_category=19393&ukey_trimLevel=15018

Don't forget to consider the rear rotors for replacement depending on how long they're been on the car.

Be sure that what I'm telling you makes sense in your case.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dave93buickdave93buick Member Posts: 2

I doubt if that's the problem. Not often would both go at same time. I'm a back yard mechanic persay and I would tend to think the master cylinder as that's where the pressure originates from. 

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

my back brakes are not working ? Can someone help me to diagnose it Please ???

You asked for help diagnosing. I offered some help. You've dismissed it out of hand.
    Have a good day.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,