Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm a gadget guy too. I usually have my CB, Laptop and GPS running during road trips.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Nope, no problems so far, I am at 41K miles now. I glanced at the pad thickness when I rotated the tires the other day and they looked fine. I tend to be pretty easy on brakes, though.

It does seem like I am hearing that the rear pads go first on Troopers, unlike the old days when front disc brake pads would have to be replaced long before the rear drum brakes.
    Both my Rodeo and Trooper went at about 40-50K in the rears. My fronts on the Rodeo lasted about another 10K miles.

-mike
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    I'm glad you guys are talking about this.

I have a 99 Trooper S, auto TOD. I do have the wiring under the hood, just behind the grill for the outside temperature sensor. I called St. Charles about 6 months ago and priced the multimeter, somewhere between $450~$500.

I was wondering whether the wiring would also already be up in the headliner for the multimeter to attach since I did have the wiring under the hood. If I did have the wiring, I would be willing to spend the $ to get the OEM unit. I realize someone posted above in regard to Troopers with sunroofs, but what about Troopers without OEM sunroofs. My wiring diagram for 99 Troopers does not distinguish, causing me to assume that the wiring may already be up there. Does anybody know for a fact?

In regard to another outside temperature discussion: It is my understanding that the vehicles with auto temp control have the outside/inside temperature display as part of their units. This is totally separate from what is available through the multimeter. Therefore, there are two different potential methods for reading the outside temperature if you have a limited Trooper with the multimeter. Am I correct?
    There is no digital display on the Auto-temp controls so there is no way to get the outside temp. Maybe the unit uses that sensor but there is definitely no display of it in 00 or 01.

-mike
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Regarding the Multimeter - its ok but not worth $400 to add on to your Trooper. It probably would be better egonomically if it was angled toward the driver and had a brighter display to make it easier to read.
  • n5twbn5twb Member Posts: 7
    I didn't have to have the rear brakes done (including rotor turn) on my 94 Trooper until last summer with about 165k on the odometer. Front brakes were checked out just last week and still have plenty of wear left on the OE pads. Is that possibly from different materials across the model years? Or is it strictly driving conditions and habits?
    On original pads all around? Seems high, but if you do all highway driving I suppose it is possible.

-mike
    Yes, OE all the way. My driving is probably 70% highway, 30% town.

BTW, check out my post at Chevy Tahoe, re: tires.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I think there is some confusion here. There are 2 types of factory external temp displays. According to the specs on the Isuzu site, the 2002 Ltd comes with the multimeter which includes a temp display. The 2002 LS has a "trip computer" with exterior temp display integrated with the in-dash clock. I was guessing that the in-dash thing was included in all troopers with the auto climate control, but it seems I was wrong about that. Does anyone know what years/models offered this trip computer thingy? For people wanting exterior temp, maybe the trip computer could be added for less $ than the multimeter.
    That display with the clock is new for 02. So I doubt there is the required wiring harness in the pre 02 vehicles for it since it wasn't an option before that. The overhead multimeter thing though was an option since 98 so it should be pre-wired.

-mike
    Did you have any audible warning that the rear brakes needed replacement (other than the rotors grinding)?

On my old Pathfinder the front brakes went 142K miles, the rears were still original when I sold it at 167K. And my driving is not particularly heavy on highway miles, either.
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Folks,

I might have found somewhere that is interested in sending over third row seat kits to the US. (Subject to stock availability).

They are currently working out the logistics of it all, and will let me know a kit price in the next few days.

I'll update this forum when I get response from them. However, as solicitation is not allowed here we may need to use Mike's board for the details.

- Savvas
    Get me the details and I'll post em up for yah. I'm fairly interested myself.

-mike
    It was as you described -- just rotor grind noise, no other audible warning that I ever heard. The part that caused me concern was I had just returned from driving through a very hilly part of northwest Arkansas with a group of Boy Scouts in the vehicle. I did take a lesson from that: serious inspection before a big trip...don't [non-permissible content removed]-ume anything.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I often get noise after a long day of beach driving. Just sand in the works. Not ideal, but it happens. It goes away usually after the first few hard stops.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Improperly tightened lug nuts can easily cause this problem. It could be that those of you with this issue could of had it caused by an inept mechanic.

FWIW, I don't let anyone near my vehicle with an impact wrench, at least when reinstalling the nuts.
    Mine was just worn out rear pads. On one side the pad was gone down to the metal, on the other side it was very close.

I do get rocks from off-roading every once in a while, but this grinding was different.

-mike
    So apparently there are no wear warning indicators on the rear brakes...good to know. Definitely going to keep an eye on those rear brakes from now on.

BTW last night I saw an egroups post from Sam Jelinek (Isuzu dealer mechanic who posts on a couple of boards) regarding brakes, he said they are seeing the rears go first on Troopers, just like we were noting recently.
    I figured they would go first as my Rodeo also went first in the rear. Three is a wear indicator on the inner pads, but on mine the outter pad wore first! :( Keep an eye on em at about 50K-60K. Mine went at 40K but I'm especially harsh on my vehicles...

-mike
    I got some info from the St. Charles Isuzu parts dept. The "trip computer" from the 2002 LS costs about $215, and they doubt that prior years are pre-wired for it. The multimeter costs almost $500. It looks like the only reasonable solution for an add-on external temp display is to go with a generic aftermarket unit. I'll be looking around to see what I can find. If anyone else is aware of something that fits on the Trooper dash without looking too ugly, please post.

I also checked with St. Charles about the factory fog lights, and they aint cheap. The switch alone costs $50, the relay is $23, and the lights are almost $200. I'd appreciate any suggestions for aftermarket fog light kits. I would like for the switch to fit one of the standard holes in the dash and for the lights to fit the standard holes in the front bumper.

The last thing I'll be looking for when I get my Trooper is a OEM-style roof rack. I don't need a big strong expedition rack, just something that can carry long items or luggage occasionally, like most factory roof racks. I would like something that bolts into the factory anchor points so that it is aerodynamic and doesn't look like aftermarket. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, and in case you're wondering the reason for all these questions, I did purchase the 98 Trooper that I mentioned a while back. Now I just have to wait for it to be shipped. Yippee.

Thanks!
  • elopez99elopez99 Member Posts: 11
    Hey everyone,

After a long search, finally purchased the exact used trooper i've been looking for. 99 S TOD loaded, strange cause it says performance package on the back but inside there's leather, wood trim, folding mirrors, multimeter, power seats, sunroof etc. Basically a used LTD for $15,200. It has 46K miles on it which is a little more than I would have hoped but then again it's a trooper!

That being said, I still have about 14K left on the powertrain warrenty so I'm not too concerned. I'm sure I could have pressed for a lower price but I've been looking a long time and this was the first one that really fit the bill so I went for it.

Next I get to retire the aging (but very reliable) 1990 TrooperII 150K miles. Hope it goes to a good home. : )

Look forward to some more adventures in my new trooper!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/eilopez99

Thanks again for everyone's help and info!

-eric

Glad to hear that you guys are having a good time with your troopers!

Eric if you don't mind, can I link you in the gallery on isuzu-suvs.com?

As for fogs... I may upgrade to an ECB front bar soon if so I'll have a set of fogs for sale along with a front bumper.

-mike
    I think we can find on to go into the cigarette pack holder I think!

I saw some in a truck-stop today but they were cheesy.

-mike
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Anyone who may be considering getting the '02 LS trip 'computer' for its temp gauge: if all you want is temp, and the cost is worth it to you, go for it. However, don't be tempted by the other 'functions' as I find them to be pretty worthless and not worth the effort to program. It's basically a stopwatch that's hard to use. If you're still interested, spend 30 minutes at a dealer playing with one before you waste your money.

If you just want the outside temp, my advice is to buy a cheap aftermarket unit and hide the display someplace not too obvious.
    Our dealer, Ted Russell Ford/Isuzu in Knoxville, is running ads for $9000 off new '02 Troops, Rodeos and Axxioms. What's the catch? Hail damage. If you're in the market for a vehicle and don't mind dings, this would be a great way to get a reliable NEW truck cheap. There's no telling how low they might go.

I'm taking our '02 LS in tomorrow for its first service (aside from me changing oil once already) and will try to get a look at how badly they are damaged. It must be pretty bad.
  • gberrygberry Member Posts: 21
    I am disappointed by weak headlight lighting of my 00 Trooper and would like to purchase auxillary lighting and switch, preferably used. I do not have a nudge bar, and was wondering if it is possible to augment without one. If anyone is selling, please contact me privately - galia@topshot.com. Thanks in advance
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    About that $9000 off for a hail damaged Trooper. When we bought our 2001 TOD LS we got 8000 off and a competing bid from another dealer (via internet) for the about same. If you need dealer names let me know.

Also, before I decided to add the multipmeter I also looked into installing one of those mirrors that has electronic auto dimming, temp guage and compass - common on GM SUV's. Good looking unit = price installed was $250.00 - dealer was to have a custom shop install it. But I wanted that altimeter - kind of pricey now that I look back on it - but I like the feature.

Also, the air conditioning unit is going south - lots of gargle and wheezing noises below the passsenger footwell and the air temp coming out of the vents is not so cold - so - off to the shop this week to see what happened.
    Eric,
    Congrats on your new Trooper. It looks the same on the outside as the one I just bought, and has about the same milage. I really like that color combo: champagne with the black bumper strip along the sides. I think the price you got is pretty reasonable. In 99, you had to get the Performance pkg to get the Luxury pkg, so that explains why yours says that it has the Performance pkg - it has both. I think the Luxury pkg in 99 added leather/power/heated seats, sunroof, wood trim, multimeter, fog lights, CD changer.

Enjoy your new Trooper! I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of mine.
    Well my Troop is now at my place in the adirondacks sitting under my carport/tent thing to protect it from the sap.

During my vacation in July I plan to install/upgrade:

o Sway Away Torsion Bars

o Wash/Claybar/Polish/Compound/Wax

o Have my side-step/boulder bars from http://Independent4x.com installed

o Front and Rear Diffy Fluid to 80-140w

o Tranny drianed and filled.

-mike

• bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Just took a look at an 02' S model at the dealer last week and saw they now include the overhead map lights and a card holder. Anyone got a clue if the 01' was pre-wired for that? Those lights in the front are very handy at times, and I really miss having them when traveling at night.

Oh yeah, I picked up my 99' Performance Package Trooper last week as well. Its pretty solid has 39,000 miles on it. The dealer went through it and changed out all fluids, did a carb. intake cleaning, injector cleaning, new tires all around, and installed a theft deterrent package. I didn't get near the price some of you are quoting though. I a bit GREEN with envy on the deals you seem to have gotten. Good for you though, these are good trucks. I don't thing I'll ever retire my 1988 LS. It's a good everyday truck and has lots of jobs ahead of it. Sadly it's time to say good-by to the 97' that was mortally wounded in the accident a couple weeks ago.

On a happier note, you guys that ain't driven a 2 wheel drive version of a Trooper with the 3.5L engine, don't know what you're missing. I've driven a couple 4X4 Troopers and they don't compare to the quickness and nimble feel of my 2X4 Trooper. I am continually amazed at the difference! Much like the difference between the 91' and the 96' models in acceleration. NO joke.

Just got back from 600+ mile mountain biking trip to Tennessee and got an average 19 mpg. Very enjoyable drive!!
    Happy Trooping !!!!!
    That's pretty old. I'd go to 4x4wire before vmag. Vmag had some pretty bad policies in the past and it gets like zero posts.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not to mention that touting competing forums violates the Member Agreement and doesn't help pay the bills around here.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I looked for the $9000-off hail damaged Troopers, Rodeos etc. tonight when I picked ours up. Didn't see any. What a surprise! They did, however, have "$7500 off" marked on every Trooper windshield. Every one I saw was an S model, some (maybe all) with TOD. I didn't bother to check whether the $7500 was off their inflated "paint protection etc. etc." price or not. Still sounds to me like a person could make a good deal right now on a Trooper.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I put hella fog lights in the cut outs for the factory fog lights on a '00 Trooper and they did great. Driving lights they same size would also work great if you can't find a nudge bar you like or can afford. The shop did not use the Trooper pre-wiring and they used the switch that comes with the Hellas. It all worked fine and really improved the lights.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Are you going to part out the 97 that was totaled?
    Been driving the "new" trooper for a few days now and can't believe the ride. But then again, been driving the 1990 box for 5 years now so anything short of 105 decibels is quiet. I like the color too, as I mentioned earlier in the posts, I was specifically looking for a silver color but isuzu hasn't made one for a long time.

My 99 has pretty much every option, which is nice because I was on the fence about a new/used trooper. I really wanted the sunroof (LS) but liked the pricing of the S. All the other little toys (heated seats, folding mirrors, leather, sidebars) are great extras and really make the truck.

The only things that are missing are the rear cargo cover, cargo net, and spare wheel lock key. I've been checking around on ebay motors but nothing yet. Any ideas?

Hope you enjoy your new trooper when you get it.

Regards,

eric
    Eric,
    Mine is also missing the rear cargo cover. The best price I've found so far is $62 from St. Charles Isuzu (www.stcharlesauto.com). You can also get factory accessories from Isuzu World (www.isuzuworld.com). Have fun.
    Not a bad price. Mine has been slightly tweeked from about the first month I owned it so I may have to replace it someday.

-mike
    Thanks again bawbcat, I'll definitely check it out!
  • schulhof1schulhof1 Member Posts: 8
    What is with the pricing on Trooper Rotors!?

For what I just paid I was expecting vented/cross drilled Brembo rotors....

Lets see, front rotors, non ABS $125/ea. I checked St. Charles, and they had them at $97/ea
    but I doubt shipping Trooper rotors is cheap!

So I had the front rotors, pads and seals changed, and all three drive belts for a grand total of $650.

Oh....did I fail to mention that they lasted 108,000 miles? And the rears are still ok.

Troop on!
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Dude,

Three drive belts??? What year is your Trooper?
    I priced the rears for my 00 Trooper @ St. Charles
    $175
    Locally I bought them for $40 @ Pep-boys!
    The fronts were $33 each locally!

-mike
  • savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    All,

Have just emailed the details for an Australian supplier of original equipment 3rd row seats, to Mike.

There are two sets available at $1200AUS, plus freight.

Regards,
    Savvas
    Last I checked, St. Charles doesn't charge for shipping...don't know if that applies to the heavy stuff like rotors, though.
    My cargo cover has been stored in the garage since week 1. Only used it maybe once...

Not really looking to sell it, just saying I wouldn't bust my hump trying to find one.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Does that include all the parts to install them in a Jackaroo / Trooper that never had 3rd row seats?
    In his e-mail Savvas is pretty specific that we need all the parts so it looks like it *may* include the parts we need. I e-mailed him to ask what color/material the seats are.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I looked at the new troopers at my nearby Isuzu dealer. They are all $6000 off because of Isuzu kickbacks to the dealer. There are several 2wd versions that and a couple 4wd and one limited. The Limited looked nice but the sticker on it was $38000. The 4wd units were all dark colors, in the sunny south dark colors are a bad idea. They were all automatics.

Then I looked back at my 1995 Trooper-S manual with OME suspension and Overlander based roof rack and no plastic wheel well flairs and cloth interior and thrid row seat. I like mine the best of the lot.
    But my 1995.5 has the sometimes lifter ticking 3.2L SOHC 175Hp engine. My engine works great, but the lifter noise drives me crazy when it happens and I would rather swap than pay big bucks to repair the same valve train.

So, please suggest for me, where to look for which 3.5L 215hp engine will swap with my 3.2L engine the easiest.

Specifically:

Which 3.5L has the solid shims lifter valve train?

Which 3.5L has the newer cam over valve with hydraulic adjusters?

Which 3.5L has drive by wire? And if I found a drive by wire engine, would the drive by wire gas pedal fit in my Trooper?

Where is a good source of used engines?
    Thank You
    Drive-by-wire started in 00->02

What I would personally do is see about finding a wrecked 00->02 and transplant that engine. You'll probably need the flywheel and starter off your old one unless you plan to go to the TOD/AT config.

I'd use a wreck and get everything out of it the whole engine top to bottom, ECU, pedal, etc. Here is the other problem, finding an MT version of the 3.5l engine will probably be difficult since they are very rare. I'm not sure how well an AT ECU/wiring harness will work on an MT.

-mike