Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    Yeah - 'nuff said. One point though: The way I look at it everything in life is a compromise, and just cause I can not or choose not to do everything with the goal of being socially aware doesn't mean it isn't OK to emphasize the little things you can control relatively easily. I felt I needed a large vehicle with 4WD to bring firewood, appliances, lumber, etc. up the one-half mile private road my second home is on - a road not maintained or plowed by the municipality I pay taxes to. So, I did buy a relatively gas greedy vehicle, but within that group (SUV's) the Trooper I felt was one of the least guzzling. On my Excel spreadsheet which logs every drop I've put in over 108K miles, I average 17.43 mpg on regular gas. Considering Tahoes, etc. and the fact that some SUV's require higher octane (more crude needed for a gallon of hi-test than for regular) - maybe the Trooper isn't a bad compromise. That's how I feel about the tinting too - help out where you can. Like people who decide to have a lot of kids. Maybe those little ruggers use up a lot of the Earth's resources, but there are things the parents can still do once they've had them to be somewhat energy conserving.
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    No offense intended. I consider the window tinting to be a gas saver in warmer climates.

I own my Trooper for the same reason you do: I have a 2 acre treed lot that was poorly taken care of and I'm hauling limbs and the trash the previous owner just sort of scattered around to the dump every weekend. We're also remodeling, which means even more trips with the trailer.

I love my Trooper, but I do regret the mileage.

On a more positive note, it looks like manufacturers are awakening to the concept of higher mileage vehicles. Toyota and Honda are sneaking hybrid systems into mainstream size cars (small, but mainstream) and are planning to take on their bigger vehicles, too.
  • bstone3bstone3 Member Posts: 97
    Posted here awhile back about the engine surging at startup in the morning - dealer installed a 10" piece of hose on the fuel pressure regulator bypass (instead of using the stock 2" piece of bypass hose) it killed the surging problem completely. After two weeks they then reconnected the short factory tube to see if it started surging again - it did - so today the Trooper is getting a new FPR.

As for gas mieleage - its no lightweight econo sedan - it a rugged steel framed cargo hauling, off roading ageless SUV - one well put together machine - one of the finest 4X4's I have owned - and I have owned a bunch - the quality of materials and workmanship is outstanding. I recently bought a 4X4 Nissan King Cap super charged truck - same bits and pieces as an Xterra -and while it is O.K it is nothing compared to the Trooper as far as quality goes - only sad thing is my wife got the Trooper and the only time I really get to drive it is on weekends - Drive something else for awhile and then go back to the Trooper - til death do we part!
    In warmer climates dark tinting is more than a gas saver - it's a necessity. Living in the northeast I luck out on the Troop's notoriously "challenged" A/C.

My major gripe with the Trooper over the years has had to do with the "repairs" done by the dealer causing problems that weren't there in the first place. I still have 15 month old front end noises that started the day they replaced the front pads and turned down the rotors. About 8 trips back and no one can find/do anything. Had the hubs apart twice. About an hour after each of the hub dis- and re-assembly jobs the noises went away for about 15 miles, then came right back. I think they cut too much off the discs and now everything is loose: springs, clips, etc. (whatever is there) and when you repack and maybe put some grease on them they're OK for a few miles, then all gets loose again - my theory. If I get the extra bucks maybe I'll have the front discs replaced. Until the "brake job" I used to boast that the Troop had the quietest brakes of any of the 20+ vehicles I've owned in my life.
    The noises my Trooper now makes coming to a stop scare the rabbits away, but at least the situation doesn't affect braking even on snow.
    Too bad all the econono SUV's seem small, flimsy or unsafe. With some of the ridges of plowed snow I have to break through my neighbors RAV4 just gets deflected and won't go through. Sometimes you need a little heft.
    If the longer hose fixed it why not leave that in place for the long haul. Isn't a new FPR more bucks that a 10" hose. Maybe there's more to it than I read, but if as you said it "killed the surging problem completely", why not leave it at that? Just an obvious (I think) question.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have a group of 21 people half of them are 6 years old. Most have SUVs Ford Chevy Isuzu etc... I would like the opinion of someone that's been to Uwharrie a bunch of times about whether or not Uwharrie is a good place to camp with a bunch of little kids. We would take advantage of some mild off road trails so the dad's will have some fun, but what is there for the kids on an overnight campout? (All girls mostly 1st grade) We will need to spend as much time on the kid activity as on the off road trails. Thank You
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Should be fun, you guys can do fishing too as the lake is right there! :)

-mike
    The tubing installed by the mechanic was not safety or heat rated - the extra length just kept the leaking fuel vapor from reaching the intake and causing a rich mixture - what it did show was that the FPR was leaking - and so it was replace - under warranty - nice feature for 10yr/120kmi.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    IIRC some people have not been getting the FPR covered under powertrain warranty...bonus if you did!
    IIRC the warranty for 01 Trooper is 5/60 for everything and 10/120 for power train - at 43K I was pretty well covered - but surprised that fuel system is not part of power train - hmm
    Yeah I agree, the "powertrain" is pretty useless without fuel...but at least for 99s the fuel pressure regulator is not specifically covered under the powertrain warranty...but the fuel PUMP is.

Also of interest, the transfer case (TOD) is not listed as covered.
    But only "internal" parts.

-mike
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    wilbuc, you might want to try that 20+HP mod, or check your IAT sensor. I really think mine had my Trooper operating on the wrong part of the power curve. Since I took the sensor out and put the resistor in, I've gotten a noticable power boost. There's no reason to think you wouldn't get the same.
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Wow. Not too good.
    Year to date Isuzu has sold only 24,357 vehicles. About 2,600 Ascenders, 14,000 Rodeos, and even 1,500 Troopers! Chevy sold 200,000 Trailblazers in comparison. Mercedes even sold 1,400 G Wagons. I hope the direct-injection engine spurs at least some excitement on the part of buyers. Maybe 'some' advertising money can be found.

I wonder why Ascenders aren't selling. This is from the Trailblazer forum; " I figure it's my destiny to ride off the side of a steep mountain incline with my TB and it's failing brakes because of battery acid brake line corrosion. But it's OK, since I won't see anything because the faulty windshield wipers won't wipe the rain off the windshield, and the rear-view mirrors will have adjusted themselves to face Mecca." (that Trailblazer forum is always good for a few laughs)

One of our local Isuzu dealers just dropped Isuzu from their Subaru/Suzuki/Kia/Hyundai group.
    if you didn't plan to keep your vehicle for the long haul, you're in trouble. They are practically worthless on the resale market now. Such a shame for a quality product like this. BUT, if you ever wanted to own one, now is the time to BUY!
    I'm gonna wind up giving my trooper to my dad in a few years and buy a Duramax Crew Cab.

-mike
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Got a link for the Isuzu Sales data? Just a thought, could Isuzu's become the equivalent of the AMC Gremlin/Pacer, or the Yugo of all SUV's ;)
    on the 20+HP modification. If you don't try this, you might as well be pouring gas out on the ground.

I wanted to make sure before reporting on here that my fuel mileage was indeed UP! It is. I've been driving under various conditions now with the mod. installed and the results are positive. The pedal is more responsive, the power output more sensitive, and its just more FUN to drive. My mileage has improved by about 1-1.5 mpg BOTH in city and on the highway.

That's just the facts. I've tried a lot of things, as many of you have, to improve gas mileage. This one is actually working for me. Many other attempts were just non-productive.

Here's how you do it if you want to give it a try. Let us know here if you do it and what results YOU get.

Unplug the electrical cable from the Intake Air Sensor. Leave the sensor installed in the pipe. Its on the backside of the large air hose leading into the intake of the engine, directly in front of the radiator. Its only a 2 wire connection, and easy to upplug. Purchase a 4700 ohm, 5% tolerance 1/2 watt, resistor from Radio Shack, or other electronic supplier. Plug the resistor into the connector you took off the IAT. Use some electrical (black vinyl) tape to cover the resistor, and hold it in place. It's that easy!!

You could use a 1% tolerance resistor for better control of exact resistance value, but the one sent as the mod. is a 5% (it has a gold tolerance band).

I'd be interested to hear your results. I think you'll be amazed and very happy you gave it a try.
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Even if your resistor does work, which I completely doubt, you don't need to post 1 per week hyping it. By now we ALL know you are in love with it.
    Thank You for your posts. I was a DirectHits user on my 1995 Trooper, where my trailering MPG went from 9.9MPG to 11.2MPG and the engine was much more peppy, and many people on this list did not believe me. So I know how you feel.
    What model year is your Trooper so I can tell if the totally cheap to try and easy to reverse 20mpg mod will work on my 2001 manual 5 speed Trooper. There is nothing to loose, except maybe a 5 cent resistor and some tape.
    You do know that that totally voids your warranty right? And at the same time will eventually have bad long-term effects. Essentially you are cheating the ECU into thinking there is denser or more air-flow or less airflow than there actually is. This results in a bad AF ratio or non-optimal AF ratio. There are certain instances where this is useful, for instance if you have an aftermarket SC or Turbo, you may want to give it more fuel by tricking the ECU. However on a relatively stock truck, it isn't going to do anything. My guess is that the "gains" are a bit of placebo effect :)

-mike
    What model year is your Trooper so I can tell if the totally cheap to try and easy to reverse 20mpg mod will work on my 2001 manual 5 speed Trooper. There is nothing to loose, except maybe a 5 cent resistor and some tape.

And your warranty.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    While I could use an extra 1.5 MPG...I probably won't try this at least until my warranty is expired.

I don't mind seeing the posts though...this is a forum. While I don't find it all that relavent for me, I disagree with Breakor.
  • trout14trout14 Member Posts: 19
    I have had my 95 trooper sitting for a while and just started it up for a while yesterday, and now today there is oil on the driveway, and in engine compartment. Never had a problem before, burns but never leaked. Is the cause letting it just sit for a long time, without driving, or maybe something overflowed some? Any suggestions? Also what is maximum deduction for a vehicle? Just in case anyone knowledgable in taxes is in the forum. Thanks
    How long did it sit for?

-mike
    I had a 1995 Trooper for 8 years. The only thing it ever leaked was a very slow drip of power steering fluid. The power steering pump exit hose makes a sharp bend and the oil eventually wants to shoot right through the bend. Mine was stealthy, just an unexplained drop of oil here then months later a couple drops there. Eventually, there was a low level in the power steering reservoir and a slight noise when steering hard while at a stop. I topped off the reservoir right away, then made an appointment with my mechanic to get it fixed. That little hydraulic hose is a foot long and something like $80. It was a good opportunity to get a thourough flush of the power steering fluid.
  • trout14trout14 Member Posts: 19
    Sat for about 3 months total, with some starting it up in between and putting a few miles on it, on a couple of drives. Mostly just sitting as, Iwhad been trying to sell it. Now it looks like a tax deduction in the waiting.
    After having the dealer replace the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) to correct a surging problem, after startup, was surprised to discover that the surging is still there - no difference. What eliminated the surge before was to replace the factory bypass tube (2") with a piece of clear tubing (10") the mechanic had in his tool box - I mean in started and idled smoother than it every has since new. So what could this be - the only thing I can come up with is the factory tubing section leaks air (under vacuum) - but why would this occur only on cold startups? Any other ideas? Mechanic is on vacation this week so will have to wait until next week to see what Isuzu thinks is the problem.
    I think your right on top of the problem. That leak in the line with the engine COLD could cause the problem, but then go away when the engine warms up. It's all about fuel air ratio and optimization. When the engine warms up it can tolerate the small inleakage, but not when its COLD. Test that piece of tubing and verify your theory. I bet you've got it!!
    Sometimes when vehicles sit for a long time, the seals and gaskets will dry out and shrink. Then when you start it up, you get leaks! My father experienced this with a pickup he would park over the winter while they were in Florida.

Usually after initial startup the gaskets will re-swell and the leaks should stop...usually.
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    I have not been satisfied with Century Isuzu lately. I had 2nd gear replaced on my transmission under warranty. It took them 15 days and my seat and floor mat were covered in greasy hand and footprints when I picked it up. They detailed it the next day, but that is inexcusable in my book. My speedometer stopped working a week later and when I looked underneath to check it the shifter boot wasn't even pulled back down on the transmission. They also left a random screw sitting in the cup holder. I have a friend who used to be an Isuzu tech there. They moved him over to BMW because they are short on techs. He's happy because the BMW shop is air-conditioned. I'm sure the guy on the bottom of the pile became the new Isuzu tech. I told the service people that I wanted someone else working on my Amigo and they told me there is only one Isuzu tech. Verrrrrrry disappointing.
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    Where is Century Isuzu?

There is one here in Tampa Fl. is it the same one?

Dennis P.
    Century Buick in Huntsville, Al. They also have BMW, as noted above, and Volvo. They are also expanding, new building, for Land Rover. The tech that worked on my Trooper seemed like an O.K. guy and so far they have been responsive and gave me a loaner when I needed it - understand about dirty interiors and screws left laying around - I think my fix has been pretty generic and minimal number of pieces to lose. Figures that Isuzu gets the open repair stalls - but I get the Trooper.
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I have been following the topic of what Ltd. Troopers were painted like, and I thought I was going crazy, but I wasn't. Every single Ltd. Trooper in Houston is monotone. I can provide digital pictures if anyone wants proof. My 2 cents.

Jim
    And check them out for myself ;)

-mike
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    but I have now seen at least 5, with the word "Limited" on the "C" pillar. I will also say that I searched cars.com and did see two tone Troopers marketed as Limiteds, but they were all out of state. Weird.

Jim
    Towards the end of the run, Isuzu was slapping all kinds of packages together. It wouldn't surprise me if different body styles and trim levels were way off what the brochures/web sites listed. They were emptying the parts bin in my opinion.

Does anyone know if they are still making Trooper's in Japan for other markets or has production completely halted?
  • buranburan Member Posts: 15
    Sbcooke wrote:
    Does anyone know if they are still making Trooper's in Japan for other markets or has production completely halted?

Here is what I found out:
    "Isuzu Motors Ltd. will phase out Japanese production of the Bighorn SUV, badged as the Trooper in North America, by 2004, reports Nihon Keizai Shimbun. Isuzu says it hasn’t decided on a date. Isuzu also will replace the Bighorn in Japan with an SUV built by GM and carrying the Chevrolet brand."
    It is a shame that a well built truck is going away.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    It's even more of a shame that anyone thinks the Trooper/Bighorn can be "replaced" with a Chevy model, presumably another Trailblazer. They are quite different trucks.
    IIRC, they are being made in Thailand now, and in '05 they will be replaced with a new version based on the Dmax running the direct injection 3.5L motor. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

-mike
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    I would hope it won't be similar to BMW X5 or new Volvo SUV. I mean their cross-country ability and the prices.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    with one of the Koreans when my Trooper is done. Speaking as one who does not offroad the Sorento might be a possibility. Maybe the Kia Amanti if I go for a car or a used Saab 9-5 would be nice. It would be nice to have something a little sporty after being practical and trucky for a few hundred thousand miles. All in all though My trooper has been TOUGH. 106K, going for 200K Good Lord willin'!
    By then Subaru should have their crossover out. :)

The Sorento is great Off-road seen 1 or 2 out there.

I'm going to go the Duramax 2500 route when the time comes.

-mike
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Well my '00 LTD is definitely staying but my Gen III SHO may get traded for a new '04 Forester XT that I'll haul my samples around for business. The XT is impressively quick after a test drive today. My AWA wants me to stay with the auto instead of the stick in case she has to drive it. I was looking for another Troop but...
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    There is a lot of SUVs on a market now. But what can be compared to old kind Troop, to its simplicity and reliability.

How about new Montero's rear diff or its rear suspension? May be a lot of BMW X5's transmission electric devices will be so robust for a long time? Probably yeah, if you do a regular service.

I bought a '02 diesel Trooper w/MT w/non-TOD t-case a week ago instead my previous 3.5L. So will be keeping a fidelity of Isuzu brand.

Best regards.
    That is currently available in Thailand I think. I saw a picture of it. Think Trooper with a shorter hood and a longer people compartment. Sort of a crossover vehicle between SUV and minivan, but with world class toghness and off road ability.
    If that description is accurate, then those of us Trooper owners with a bunch of children will be pleased. The folks that like to camp out from the off road trails will like it too.
    Those of us more interested in the "S"port part of SUV will probably not like it, but the "S" people are all suppoded to be driving the Axiom by then. (not good marketing when I, a 20 year Isuzu guy had to go look at the Isuzu.com to remember what the Axiom name was.)
    I will wait patiently. I have a 2001 Trooper with only 35K miles. It has another 200K+ to go before I change it out, unless there is something so much better that I would be willing to buy, but I doubt it. If they make the 2006 Trooper with the short hood and long people compartment(third row seat) with the diesel and maybe even a light hybrid boost, I would jump to it right away.
    I really like the kia on paper. Affordable, small size, good offroad capabilities, etc. Although the edmunds forum here represents a significant amount of problems with its driveline.
    Then Izusu could be made aware of the section for feedback to them. The Trooper discussion os one of the most productive. This should be taken advantage of by Isuzu as should every other advantage they can find.
    Here is an input for Isuzu to read:
    Please install on the www.Isuzu.com web page a section describing your future vehicles. Maybe even add a section for web page viewer input on what next vehicle they want to buy from Isuzu. The other car companies talk about making cars to order per each individual, how about designing to order by using continuous input from the Isuzu enthusiasts out here on the internet superhighway.
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    If Isuzu had an interest, they would have put a rep on this forum to monitor feedback & take notes. In my short time looking at the Subaru lists on Edmunds, Subaru seems to take a pro-active role with changes being made to their products based on customer input.
    Paisan may be able to provide more info.