Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Avocado Green! :)
  • dgutdgut Member Posts: 12
    Hi, My Sequoia has 115K is in the shop now for Steering angle sensor and YAW rate Sensor. I hope you have had these fixed. When our steering angle sensor failed we lost control of car at 70 MPH on interstate. My advice to anyone who has a sequoia with VSC lights on, DO NOT DRIVE IT! Could be deadly!
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    anyone know if toyota is planning on a hybrid drivetrain for the upcoming sequoia? model year 2008?...or is it for the land cruiser?

thanks
  • manamymanamy Member Posts: 4
    Dude,
    This is phenominal! Mine is broke and I'm not willing to pay the $400. Thanks for taking the time to write out exactly how to do this. I will but the part and take the time. If you have any other info Let me know. If you live anywhere near chicago let me know also I will pay you to do it!!!!
  • arslanarslan Member Posts: 36
    The mileage on my Sequoia is approaching 60,000. I was told the timing belt is replaced at 90,000 miles. But I can't recall reading it in my owner's manual and am reluctant to not to replace the belt, since I've changed the belt at 60,000 on all the Toyotas I've owned in the past.
  • orrmoblorrmobl Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys,
    Why no updates recently? There is at least 1 lease question out there since July. I took a crack at it and am working on a lease deal myself currently. Did this stuff move or are you guys just super busy?

Thanks!
    Bob Orr
  • jayson01jayson01 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how long the center hub is on the 01 Sequoia? I am looking at some 22" deep lip wheels and need to find out how long the center hub is. I'm also considering rolling on 265 40 22 (any suggestions).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's best to ask in Toyota Sequoia: Lease Questions.

tidester, host
  • minuteman26minuteman26 Member Posts: 70
    Friday my 2001 4WD Sequoia showed a total of five lights that wouldn't go off. Took it to the dealer Saturday, but they were only open for oil changes and told me to turn the engine off and back on to clear the lights. That worked. Today, only four lights came on. Both VSC [off and trac] lights, the Brake, and ABS stayed on; the Slip Indicator Light stayed off. Restarting the engine twice cleared them.

While at the dealer, an advisor noticed I had the truck in 4WD and informed me the ABS did not function in 4WD! This sounds wrong to me.

Anybody got a clue as to what's happening? My brake fluid is full, and the gas cap is tight. My truck has 80,000 miles and has been well taken care of -- no offroading, etc. I have an appointment at the dealer for Wednesday the 11th.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information...
    That is correct. The ABS does not function in 4WD. There is a section in your owner's manual that covers the topic.

I had a 2001 Sequoia that we recently got rid of because the VSC system malfunctioned three times. The system engaged on an interstate at 70 mph making the car shutter, cutting power to the engine and engaging the ABS system. It only stops when the vehicle comes to stop. The other two times it happened we were on city street at slower speeds, but terrifying non the less.

Our problem was diagnosed as a YAW rate sensor and a steering angle sensor. We chose not to repair and traded it into the dealer. We felt we would never feel safe in the vehicle again.

BE CAREFUL!
    Thanks very much for the reply. Your experience sounds like one my wife and I had with a Ford Taurus years ago. It quit cold on an interstate at night, traffic moving briskly and I was driving in the far left lane of three lanes all going one way! We were rescued in less than two minutes by a State Trooper. Needless to say I was grateful to the angels for us surviving that one. We traded the next day for a new Honda and haven't bought an American car since. Turned out to be a an ignition box mounted too close to an exhaust manifold -- subject of an eventual class action suit.

For something like this to happen with a Toyota is unnerving. Where do you go for quality if not here? My Sequoia is in the shop now for a skid control ECU replacement costing $1800 in parts plus labor. I will have a talk with the Service Manager to gauge the odds of a repeat occurrence and decide my course of action. May also be getting help from Toyota on this one, we'll see.

I will also be getting an extended warranty on any new vehicle I buy. There's too much electronic componentry in new cars to be comfortable with for the long haul.
  • txag1995txag1995 Member Posts: 7
    Howdy,

I had a 2003 2wd SR5 with leather, 3rd row, JBL sound, tow package, etc. It had 64000 miles on it when we sold it to CarMax.

I sold it because I was just given a 2007 GMC Yukon SLT (2wd) as my company vehicle. The Sequoia still had payments left on it and it was just going to sit in the garage most of the time so I decided to sell.

I thought I would leave you with a few details and comments comparing these two vehicles.

In my first 3 weeks of owning the Yukon I have noticed a few things that I think Toyota does better.

1. Space: The Sequoia is much more spacious inside. All seating positions plus the storage area is much bigger.

2. Throttle: Tip in on the Sequoia is fast and it gives you the impression of being faster

3. Engine: The Sequoia engine is so so so smooth even when under Wide Open Throtle. The Yukon is not harsh at all just not as smooth.

4. Armrests. The front buckets on the Yukon don't have built in center armrests

5. Window switches: Yukon does not have auto-up on the front windows

6. Power passenger seat: Yukon does not have a power passenger seat and the drivers seat has a manual recline

7. E-glass: the Sequoia's untinted front windows felt like they reflect heat better than the Yukon

8. Cruise control: The factory cruise control that Tyota uses is perfect in my opinion especially placed at the 4 o'clock position

9. 6 cd changer: Yukon's is bloody slow

10. The ride of the Yukon is awesome, and I like it much better than the Sequoia.

11. The HVAC controls on the Yukon are too small and not intuitive. Round dials like in the sequoia are the best for these functions.

12. Rear Glass that rolls into the tailgate on the Sequoia is really nice and much better than the flip up glass.

13. Center console is bigger in the Sequoia

14. Yukon is much quieter

15. Yukon has better fuel efficiency. On identical routes the Sequoia would yield 14.5 and the Yukon 16.5. On the highway the Sequoia would top out at 16.5. The Yukon will give me 19 on the highway.

16. Door handles on the Yukon are nicer and more substantial

17. Leather seats on the Yukon are high quality. So are the Sequoia's but they are slippery.

18. Overall Looks of the Sequoia was more attractive in my opinion.

19. On-Star is awesome! I would whole heartedly reccommend it.

I'm happy with my Yukon and more happy that it is free but the Sequoia is a very competitive vehicle in this segment.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • kumarkumar Member Posts: 22
    I own a Toyota SUV, V8 4.7L, and has mileage of 30K. I have routine oil change at 3,750 miles.

The service center tells me that I should pay ~$310 :( , just to flush the engine and fuel system. They will also charge me the other regular 30K services for about $410.

Do I need to do this kind of service? any recommendation?

Thanks!
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Toyota Sequoia
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
    2001 4x4 SR5 here with 81,000 miles, so I'm not really a contender.

The truck has had the brake recall along with muffler, transfer case, and skid control computer replacements. I'm thinking it's probably good for a lot more miles unless some sensor starts acting up. Using full synthetic in engine/trans/differentials.

Anybody got 120k+ on theirs?
    Mine had 110K. I say "had" because I got rid of it when the VSC system activated for no reason on an interstate at 70 mph and could have killed me! It activated again on my way to the dealer. I left it there and traded it in for a new sequoia. I hope this one is better. I had no choice but to get another Toyota. No other dealer would have given me as much in trade or as much off a new vehicle. This problem was reported to Toyota and NHSTA. Toyota said "not our problem" and have not heard from NHSTA (not sure that I got those letters right).
    I did some looking on different forums including Edmunds and others. What I am getting is that VSC systems are a potential problem on *all* makes and models that have them. Doesn't matter if you have Toyota, Honda, or whatever. Once the vehicle gets some miles and years on it, the systems start acting up. I looked at the Accura MDX until I read the same thing happening to it that happened with your Sequoia. Brakes come on uncommanded! Then I went to look at the Lexus models. More brake issues. I think somebody needs to do a better design job making these things failsafe. It isn't the engine or transmission that is the typical failure mode anymore. And, sadly, there are several more failure modes now.

By the way, before yours malfunctioned on you the first time, did you get any warning with lights a few days earlier, or at the actual onset of the problem?

So, what to do? For now, I'm just ornery enough to keep driving this thing with its new skid control computer, hoping the new part number they put in has some better logic in it.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    2001 limited with 128,000 miles
    Yes, we did have trouble with the lights coming on before the total malfunction. About a year ago, the VSC system did activate for the right reasons and stopped us from a roll over. After a service, one of which was tire rotation, the dealer did not tighten our lug nuts completely. On a road trip, one of the wheel studs broke completely off. The VSC system functioned as it should have and saved us from a possible rollover. The VSC lights came on about 8 months later and stayed on. We were on a trip from CT to SC. The lights went off on there own when we arrived. The next time we drove, the lights came on with a total system malfunction. Took it to SC dealer and was told it was just a sensor malfunction. Told it was safe to drive back and address the sensor with our CT dealer. They were completely wrong. Every time we would stop, the lights would go out and then come back on when we set out again, but no VSC activation. On our last stop in PA is when the lights did not come back on right away. We were suspicious and sure enough, when the lights came on about 2 miles later, the system went into full activation on I-81 at 70 mph. We were lucky to get off the road. Thank God we were in the right lane still.

I see people post that they disconnect the battery to stop the lights from coming. I urge people not to do that. Have it checked out! Although, that did not help us since the dealer had no clue what could happen.
    Sorry to hear about your dealer. I would have reported the incident chain of troubles to Toyota customer care. Learned that trick from my friendly neighborhood Toyota dealer when I had to make an costly out-of-warranty repair...the company offered to pay half of it after a review of the circumstances [I had done all the regular maintenance, etc.].

There are some crummy dealers, for sure. I've run into a couple in years past, in other cities. One in Kansas City was absolutely excreble, another 10 miles away was wonderful (Wolfe).

Overall, my Sequoia would be very difficult to replace, I've decided. Only the Land Cruiser would be of immediate interest, and that's out of my ballpark.

Maybe a 4Runner when I've wrung every last safe mile I can out of my current ride. 120k would be very nice, indeed. With proper care, probably attainable.
    Outstanding! Any VSC issues? Other?
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I have a 2004 Sequoia w/ 45k miles. For the most part- the truck has been trouble free. It is no where near the disaster my last SUV was- Chevy Tahoe.
    At any rate, after reading some of the posts re: VSC I am concerned about it happening on my SUV since my wife drives it almost exclusively.
    Around what mileage did the ones w/ VSC problems start seeing symptoms and/or total failure?
    How old are your Sequoia's?
    Is there anything I can do as a preventive measure to avoid this problem?
    Any advice or responses would be appreciated.
    It would be an educated guess, but based on reading about Toyota electronic stability devices on different forums over the past month or so indicates a change in part number of the skid control computer. Your 2004 most likely has the later one. The skid control is the chief culprit, IMHO. On my 2001, it was always overly sensitive, and of course, finally failed. With a new skid control unit [different part number than the original], my VSC acts much better. Going to a competent dealer at the first sign of a warning light would seem to be prudent. That might buy you the time you need for good preventive maintenance. After hearing of some really high-miles (140k) trouble-free Sequoias here and elsewhere, I am convinced that statistically they are no more trouble prone in VSC than any other make or model, and perhaps even less than most. A month ago I would have said something different.

It sure would be *great* if an undercover Toyota factory rep or really knowledgeable service tech could tell us all the intimate details of the electronics and their upgrades. Inquiring minds want to know...
    some problems

electric motor on the rear window
    seal on the right rear wheel
    stays that keep the back two doors open on an incline
    lots of brake jobs
    burned out the emergency brake (to easy to drive with it on) twice

I chance my on oil and filter every 5K miles with mobil 1
    engins runs as smooth as the day I got it off the lot
  • marcsparksmarcsparks Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Marc Sparks here,

I have a friend with a Sequoia that has the same type problem. It has been to the shop three times now. No luck getting it fixed. Good luck to you!!

Thanks,

Marc Sparks
  • jjklarjjklar Member Posts: 1
    Took my 2001 in June 2006. Had to spend $1,000 to have a computer board replaced. After investigating and showing Toyota that this happens ALOT, they decided to give us a $350 credit toward our 60,000 mile maintenance checkup. This weekend, it started doing the exact same thing again. Guess we will get the run around again.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    I have not posted in along time, but I still have my 01 SEQ. I have now 93K, but had to change tires at 52K and the starter at 88K. I had my TSB on the brakes done at 35K, but I have not replaced my brake pads since then. My SEQ still purrs like when it was new.

I thought I heard on TV last month about a recall on SEQ, but I could not find any discussion thread about this recall. Does anybody know of any recall? I don't have any problem right now, but I don't want to miss a recall opportunity either.

Thanks for any info.
  • toyotatoystoyotatoys Member Posts: 118
    This article mentions about the Sequoia recall on faulty steering, but it does not say which model years are covered.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070209/BUSINESS01/702090427
  • guo5598guo5598 Member Posts: 3
    Got it on 2002 April, has 56K mile now, change the break at 50k when dealer told it still has 10K mile but I have a long trip to Banff so I changed it anyway, changed the tires at 52K. No proble at all.

Before the one I had a 98 Mecedes ML320 which I bought at MSRP, In less than four years I had it, I change the brake at 22k milse, transe case at 40K($5000 if not warrant), I have to go the dealer every three month for ligt, power, door openner etc. It was bad experince for the Mecedes, no more.
  • telfertelfer Member Posts: 1
    Dude,

You are a Saint among men. Your post saved me many hours of time, busted knuckles, and broken parts. Of course the dealer would not respond to my email comparing my Sequoia (with the non-functional rear window and broken lift gate hatch lever) to the functionality of a Honda Civic.

I've got the panel off, and was able to finally open the rear door. I have ordered the latch handle, and will replace it when it arrives. Thanks much again. Your willingness to help others when Toyota wouldn't is a godsend.
  • acashacash Member Posts: 2
    My 02 Sequoia has the same problem with the D shift light being out. I decided to live with the issue rather than paying for the solution. However after feeling jerking at low speeds following my super bowl trip was informed that at 80k miles my Sequoia needs a new transmission at a cost of $3400.

I'm searching for options but this seems to be the case with a number of owners. I'll accept all alternatives to dealer price.
    Sorry to hear about your transmission. I would try another dealer if you have one within range.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many transmission oil changes/flushes your Sequoia has had? I'm wondering about mine, even though it seems ok now...
    If you pull a trailer you should take special care of your transmission. I have mine flushed every 30K miles, and have had no problems. i now have 120K on my seq. If you tow often you also have to have the rear axle differential fluid changed every 5K miles. toyota can check the fluid and see by its color what its condition is and save you on a possible unnecessary change, even though it is relatively cheap, $30-50 if I remember.
  • acashacash Member Posts: 2
    I have changed the transmission fluid at @ 35k miles since owning the vehicle. Also I have never pulled any trailers, boats, etc in the vehicle. I cannot speak for the previous owner of the vehicle but upon purchase the Sequoia only had 60k miles, corporate lease and dealer maintenance. Life gives no guarantees but after 3k for a new trans, I think I got the shaft.
  • rhaecklrhaeckl Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    My 06 Seq's DVD screen has gone dead. I have sound, just no picture. It has been to the dealer 3 times. The last time, they changed all components and still no fix. Now they want to change the wiring harness, which honestly makes me nervous. The service tech doesn't think it's going to fix anything either, he's just going on what Toyota is recommending them to do next. He said if this doesn't work, then a rep from Toyota will work of the problem. Has anyone had the same experience?
    thanks!!!
  • rushfan2112rushfan2112 Member Posts: 27
    I bought a 2006 Sequoia Limited and the navigation system is great. However, I cannot determine if my system is voice-activated, meaning that I can press a button and give a spoken command like "find nearest hospital". My unit has the words "Voice Navigation System" printed at the top of it, but no one at the dealership could show me how to use it. I also cannot find this information in the manual.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
  • vdragonvdragon Member Posts: 12
    I'm comparing SUV's, and although they are very different, these are what I've boiled them down to: Sequioa and LX470/Land Cruiser.
    Completely different beasts, I understand. I'm choosing between practical and all-out.
    I want to choose practical, but I can't find any info on the Sequioa having a Rear-view backup camera or bluetooth-hands free capability?
    Has anyone installed these as after-market items?

On a side note, has anyone owned both of these vehicles?

Thanks as always!
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    I love my 2002 4-Runner Limted 4x4, but I am looking to purchase an 07 Sequioa Limited 4x4. I know that with my current veh, that I can run the 4wd in the rain without any binding/breakage, but can the 07 Sequioa be ran in the rain also while in 4wd? I know that they appear to have diff 4wd sys??
  • grasergraser Member Posts: 6
    Hi - just spoke to Gary at Toyota headquarters in CA and he said "there will be some design changes" and model hitting dealers in Oct/Nov. I was on hold for a while so sure he was instructed what to say. Dealers here in NY (Long Island) confirmed trucks coming in Nov. Gary said news should hit the Toyota website in Oct detailing the new Sequoia.
  • bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    I have a 2000 Yukon with 144K trouble free miles, so I'd have to say I'm leaning towards buying another one...this time, probably a used 03-05 model Tahoe Z71.

But...last summer we bought my wife an FJ Cruiser, and I've been very impressed with Toyota - excellent build quality, no squeaks, no rattles, very solid. So while the FJ is too small for my taste, I could see going with a Sequoia versus a Tahoe.

Anyone - particularly those that have owned/driven both the Tahoe and Sequoia - want to give an opinion, I'd be grateful.
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    I recently purchased a new 2007 Sequoia and absolutely love it. I must admit that I did not test drive a Yukon/Tahoe/any American made SUV, but trust that my Toyota product will give me years of rattle free/dependable service. I have owned three Toyota 4Runners that ran impecably for many many miles and even after 150K, still had no rattles/reliability issues. My brother has had his Yukon/Tahoe for about 5 yrs and it has had small problems and lots of rattles/squeaks. he has replaced both the water pump and alternator in thise past five yrs. Has had minor oil leaks from manifold, but overall loves his beast.
  • bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    I can relate to that. My Yukon with 144K miles has been about 99% trouble-free. It's needed a water pump - which I consider routine maintenance if you keep a vehicle long enough...and a fuel pump. Otherwise, it's simply change the oil every 5,000 miles and no worries. In fact, after 144,000 miles, I'm still on my original set of brake pads. Unbelievable, but true. Every time I go in for an oil change or yearly inspection, I ask my mechanic if it's time for new pads, and he said I still have about 40% left in the front. Amazing.

I really like the Z71 Tahoe's rugged look, and gas mileage in my Yukon has been 17-18mpg over the years that I've owned it, so no complaints there either. Still...I have that feeling that I would really like the Sequoia also....

I guess it's time to go to a dealership and drive a Sequoia...maybe even see if I can keep one overnight, just to get a feel for it.
    144,000 and origional brake pads??? How many times have you replaced the rear pads? Maby there is some type of imbalance in how the brakes are being applied. That type of brake life is something I would expect from NASCAR all go and no stop!!!
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    Our lease is up in two months on our 2004 Sequoia. I will be replacing it with a GMC Acadia. However, my husband is thinking of replacing his 1999 Acura RL sedan with 93,000 miles. He is hoping to sell this for $8,000 - $9,000. He really needs something that is good in snow and on ice because he is an ER doctor and works very odd hours when the snow plows aren't always out yet.

We are considering whether we should buy the Sequoia at the end of the lease. The residual value is $24,178. Leasing company will not negotiate on the price, however, after researching on Edmunds and some local Toyota dealership sites, this looks to be a fair price. The 2004 Sequoia will have 37,000 miles on it at the end of the lease. It will probably need all new tires as the tires are worn and the brake pads need to be replaced soon.

Should we buy the '04 Sequoia which needs all new tires and brake pads or should we lease a new car for him or an'06. We are considering either an Infiniti FX35 althought the gas mileage is only a little better or some other smaller SUV?

I know this is a lot of questions at once but we are really struggling with whether to buy or lease used or new. It seems that buying cars is a losing battle no matter what...
    This probably belongs in the Toyota Sequoia Lease Questions discussion and you should try not to post the same message in many different topcs.

As to your questions, I have another one! :)

When you buy a car at the end of a lease does the dealer have an obligation to restore the car to "sellable condition," i.e. to replace or repair worn and defective parts?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    If your Sequoia has been dependable and you believe the price is fair, then by all means make the purchase. It's probably a safer long term bet dollar for dollar than buying a replacement vehicle. New tires and brakes (if needed) are normal expenses. Repairs are definitely less expensive in the short term than purchasing new and making 5 more years of vehicle payments. The negative is if you don't have an extended warranty, making vehicle repairs could break the bank.

If you are considering a smaller SUV, Toyota has the new Highlander. I have the 4Runner, but Sequoia's and Highlander's ride better IMO.

Last but not least, if your husband is considered self employed or in an incorporated practice, then talk to your tax person to see what benefits could be had. It's quite possible to be writing off or depreciating use of a new vehicle related to his practice, but only your tax person can confirm or deny what the benefits are.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    Tidester, sorry for posting in a few different topic threads. I wasn't sure where it belonged and some topics seem to be more active than others. Yes, I think the dealer should restore the vehicle to usable condition but that is also why you should have a mechanic check out a used vehicle you buy or make sure it is certified preowned.

Canddmeyer, thanks for your input -- yes, we think it would be a good purchase especially on a Toyota and I've treated it pretty well although our only concern is when we want to sell it in 3 years as a 6 year old vehicle, how will the resale market for large SUVs be. I hear it is already bad with the current gas prices.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Toyota's usually have a premium resale value, so I wouldn't worry about it even if gas skyrocketed. I'd expect the value 3 years down the road to be more than 50% of what it is today. Since you are getting an Acadia, your husband could borrow that when it snows, and you two could pursue another economical vehicle to replace the Acura if gas prices got you worried. The Sequoia seems to be the odd man out since the Acadia is replacing it.