Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Has anybody replaced their WJ brakes and calipers themselves to get rid of the warping? If so, what did you use for manufacturers and did you do it yourself?

I've thought about having the dealer do my 2000 JGC (88,000 miles), but if it is easy enough to work through, I could probably do it myself. I have an ext warranty through a third party. I'm curious as to whether they would cover this continual issue from that year.

Any thoughts?

-Paul
  • leo948leo948 Member Posts: 38
    very common problem w/this gen of jeeps. my '01 jgcl began warping @12k so i got them turned. warping started again @39k so i did a little research and replaced them myself with aftermarket pieces: powerslot slotted rotors & performance friction brake pads. so far i'm up to 54k w/no problems, less brake dust, shorter stopping distances, plus they look cool too. if you have a service manual, the actual swap is easy and can be done in an afternoon.

good luck!
    Thanks for the information. Did you order the parts online or from a local store? Do you have part numbers for the items you ordered? I have a 2000 JGC Limited / Quadra Drive / 4.7 V8.

-Paul
  • bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    I am the original owner of a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo that I have been extremely happy with. It is time to get a new car. For a variety of reasons the current GC is totally unacceptable.

I must admit that no matter what I have test driven ( BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Volvo XC 90, Lexus GX 470, Acura MDX, Toyota 4Runner, Infiniti FX ) I have been very happy to get back in my GC.

I want a new car because of the enormous safety advantages the current models afford and not because of any problems with my GC.

Can anyone tell me about what changes might be in store for Grand Cherokee for 2005? I would be most interested in safety features like traction and stability control. I gambled with the GC in Nov 1992 and I might be willing to try again if there are major changes worth waiting for.
    i got the rotors @ http:www.truckperformance.com

i got the pads @ autozone
    What about the calipers?

-Paul
    reused the stock calipers. that worked for a little while but then they started dragging, enough that i had to pull off to the shoulder. when i took it in to the jeep service center they replaced the calipers w/newer ones because of a tsb (tech service bulletin) for no charge. go to www.wjjeeps.com to find the exact tsb#. good luck!
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I replaced the Rotors with standard ones from AZone...list about $100 (I paid about $80 since they ordered incorrect the first time and I did not realize until I had the first old one off and new one ready to put on). That was 43,000+ miles ago. The only time it has warped again was when the stock calipers started dragging and heated up the rotor real hot... Once they cooled off, the warp went away, unlike the factory rotors. I replaced one of the front rotors with a replacement from NAPA, less than $50 if I recall correctly.

Not too bad a job to replace either if you have decent tools. I used this as an excuse to buy some good 1/2" sockets, ratchet and breaker bar since the old 3/8" set I had would not budge the bolts on the calipers.

Note: have something to set the caliper on when changing only the rotors to keep strain off the hose...or an assistant would be good. I changed both front rotors in about an hour...first time for that. When I changed the pads later, had a much longer time until I figured out just how they fit back in.

One thing that would help on the calipers is to lub the caliper slid pins...I think this is where they stick and cause the over-heating and warping.

00' JGC Laredo (had brake problems on the '99 JCG as well)
    Thanks for the info. I would love to go with the slotted rotors to help cooling. After DC screwed up the calipers, I'm hesitant to go with them. Aftermarket sounds like a good way to go. I need to bleed the brake lines anyway (been a while since it was last done - read never), so that will help with my braking performance.
  • russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    I'm looking at a 2002 limited, and when I try to estimate the trade value using the internet, the values I get are 19K at edmunds, 20K at Kbb and 23k at Nada, which is really close to the dealers true cost? So far all the dealers i've spoken to say the don't use edmunds? thanks for your comments

Wanting a Jeep
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The dealer will pick the book out of the drawer that has the highest number. If we had the highest book value for the JGC, they'd use us.

Their true cost is what the dealer paid at auction plus some reconditioning. I don't think most pros look at books when they buy.

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

And look around in Real-World Trade-In Values - it's most educational.

Steve, Host
    Has anybody used aftermarket brake calipers or have you replaced yours with the newer Mopar calipers? I can't really find any JGC calipers from anybody but Mopar.

Would the new Mopar calipers with new pads (ceramic?) and Powerslot rotos be a good combination?

-Paul
    I used NAPA for a replacement caliper on my 2000 JGC 4x2. Worked great. I believe it was remanufactured. Less that $50 after bringing back the old one and getting the core deposit back. NAPA had these in stock while Azone would have had to order them. (The NAPA I used looks to be a regional warehouse with a retail parts outlet in the front...probably 100,000 sq ft or more of warehouse.) SDC2423123 right front, SDC2423122 left front for the 2000 JGCL.
  • deepsix9deepsix9 Member Posts: 1
    I am mainly posting this to advise others of the major problem and disruption to our lives that we are going through with a recently purchased JGC Limited 04 model. We purchased the vehicle 12-27-03. The first week of Jan 04 the engine check light came on. The service dept told us to check the gas cap. We did. It fit in there fine. We called back and were told to bring it in. We dropped the vehicle off at Milam Jeep in Puyallup, Washington where we purchased it. They kept the vehicle 2 days and said it was a “codes” problem. They wiped out the codes and redid them. That held for 2 more days. Light was back on. We again took the vehicle in. They had it five days this time. Said the thermostat was stuck open and it had to be replaced. They did. This held for three weeks to the day from prior repair. The light was back on for the third time. We again took it in, on a Thursday. We heard nothing until Monday a.m. when I was called at work and told, matter-of-factly, that the engine, all hoses, the heater coil, and radiator were all gummed up and all had to be replaced!!!! I went nuts. A $42,000 vehicle with the engine gone! I was told that it had something in the engine with the constancy of sand. They said it was from the molding process at the factory and because of poor quality control, it skipped by and lucky me, got it. I told them that was unacceptable. I wanted a replacement vehicle. They could do whatever they wanted with that one, make it a fleet vehicle whatever. Milam refused. Jeep refused. They said they’d make this month’s payment, put in the engine or otherwise it can sit there. Lemon law in WA state gives them 4 bites at the apple. This is only three. Either I let them put in all new engine and all or I am screwed. Jeep refuses to step up and take responsibility. Milam refuses to step up. General Manager keeps whining that they are only “the middle man.” I told him they were an agent of Jeep. I have purchased my one and last Jeep. I will drive this piece of junk until I can get the loan down enough to trade it. I can only hope that it holds together until I can trade it, 4 or 5 stinking years from now. Do not buy a jeep. Save your money. Check the internet closely. I have found many other people complaining of severe engine problems with the JGC. Beware. Stay away from Milam Jeep in Puyallup, WA if you are from this area. Better safe than sorry. Milam will not step up. They only care about the $$$ they made. If you don't come back, so what, someone else will unless they beware!
  • tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    My '04 Limited has been flawless & I love it. I recomend the Grand Cherokee to everyone.
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    My '02 Overland has 69,700 worry free, exciting miles. I also recommend the JGC.
  • russlarussla Member Posts: 74
    I can relate to your troubles, but I don't see that the company is not standing behind their product?

The factory built your engine, that evidently didn't have the casting sludge rinsed out of it.

You shouldn't have experienced this, but this is not a design flaw. and it isn't necessarily an indication that the rest of the car is cursed. In fact it seems to demonstrate that the diagnostics on the car were working well.

The dealer was somewhat incompetent in finding the true problem, but when they did, DC are fixing it by putting in a new engine and hoses. I don't understand the stigma of that decision. I do understand the hassle and the frustration of missing your new car. And with a new engine, I certainly wouldn't be worried about the sludge, as they'll make sure the new engine is clean!

your jeep is going to be better than new. I don't see why you deserve a brand new one, when they're fixing yours according to the warranty they have with you.

Should the dealer come up with some way to recompense you for your troubles, Yeah, I think it would be a good PR move on his part to offer free oil changes or something, I don't know what 1 months payment is for you,(400-800) but perhaps you can nicely convince them that you deserve more to help you get by during the situation.

Since the fix was mechanical, and the component will be changed with a new one. I think they stood by their warranty. I assume one of the things you valued when you purchased your jeep was the 7/70 powertrain warranty. They seem to be upholding their end of the committment. (perhaps not represented to you in a very professional manner though)

best regards
  • janzjanz Member Posts: 129
    has been great so far. I purchased it new and am at almost 42K. I love my JGC.
    We had some now a while back and I noticed that when my wife was pulling out of the driveway, the rear wheels were slipping (time for new tires). We have the Limited (JGC 2000) with the Quadra Drive. I thought that the QD was supposed to engage the other wheels once it detected slip.

Once I put the tranny into 4-Lo, all turn just fine, but it doesn't seem to want to engage using the alltime system.

Is there something I can check on the t-case to make sure everything is okay? If I check the fluid level, what should it be at?

Ordered some BFG AT KO's today (normal size). Love them on my Wrangler and actually pretty quiet. What is the largest tire size you can put on a 2000 JGC w/o having to do a lift or steering limits?

-Paul
  • dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    I have a JGC 2002 Overland with 71k miles and the QuadraDrive but have not experienced your issues with that system. I can speak about tires. Yesterday, I had a 2" BDS suspension lift installed on my JGC combined with new BFG All Terrain 265/70/17's. The tires fit fine on the rear but the steering was impeded on the front. The tires look so good on the OEM chrome rims that I had the shop return the BDS suspension and order me a 4" TeraFlex that should be installed in a week or so. I can tell you that 265's are too large. My shop also suggested that I go to a smaller tire (245) if I wanted to keep the BDS lift.

Dave
  • gator38gator38 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good replacement tire for my wife's 02'JGC? We are currently running the OE 225/75R16 Goodyear tires. I don't really like these tires so I'm looking for something that compliments the way we really use the vehicle (highway, highway, and more highway). I would also like to know if anyone has used an optional size of 245/70R16. The dealer said this is an option that will improve the ride. Is this really the case?
    I just put some Bridgestone AT Revo's on our 2000 JGC. They are decent All terrain tires and are quite quiet on the road. I've been very happy with them so far, no more noisy that the Goodyear SRA's. We installed the 245/70/R16's (have the Limited).

You may also want to look at BF Goodrich tires.

Most of our driving is highway as well, but we contend with icy and muddy dirt roads (hilly unpaved driveways) as well as snow.

-Paul
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    I know the OEM tires are very noisey. After lots of research bought Goodyear Fortera's. This is a fairly new tire designed for HIGHWAY. Put them on last June. Good ride & quiet.

You can check them out on TireRack site.

My size is 235/65/17. 2001 JGC Ltd. Good Luck.
  • mrjeepermrjeeper Member Posts: 2
    After reading all the problems with the JGC Ltd, I'm regretting the purchase.. but too late now. I've got 77,000 miles on my Limited which I bought at 33,000. The dealer just informed me that the transfer case needs replacement as there's no fluid in the case. I've an extended warranty, but they won't cover it as I missed the 60,000 mile check and I didn't own the vehicle at 30,000 so the dealer told me no maintenance records, no warranty. I'm going to have to eat the 2,400.00 repair cost and will probably pay it down so that I can trade it for a Toyota or something more reliable. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, I also just had to replace the oil pump, and timing chain tensioners as well. I'd been changing the oil and was told that the crankcase was full of sludge. It's just one "marvelous vehicle"....
  • dwrestledwrestle Member Posts: 72
    I am 18 I don't have a car yet but I like Jeeps. My parents have a 1999 Laredo with the 4.0 which is probably the best engine for that year to get because it's dependable, but it don't have a lot of power for the size of the Grand Cherokee, my uncle has a 1995 Grand Cherokee with a 5.2 and it sounds and runs really good, but it gets the same gas mileage as our 4.0, so i figured I would get a V8 if they get around the same mileage of a V6.

Which V8 is the best 4.7, 5.2, or 5.9.

BTW is it possible to get an older Grand Cherokee with Selec Trac instead of Quadra Trac.
    It is an I6 not a V6, second you are looking for Selec Trac instead of Quadra Drive. It is a higher priced option full time 4WD option and the majority of JCG's around here do NOT have QDII. So I believe the answer is YES, but what do you consider an "older" GC?

Quite frankly I remember a recall or notification of significant engine problems with at least some of the 4.0's because my husband and I discussed this and I told him not to worry becasue we had the V8.

In my experience with my '99, mileage seems to be just as related to how you drive as the engine size. My 5.2 V8 gets around 15-17 mi, but my highway drives are short and infrequent.

Lastly, from a recent conversation with my agent regarding this same issue, a young man driving a V8 will cost you more to insure.
    All the Grand Cherokee's that are squared. I think 99 model was the first year of the rounder look. I actually drive really easy on them I just like them to get up to speed fast(thats why I want a V8) and then I stay at that speed if I can.

Our average mpg is 15.6 all the time no matter how we drive it, I have actually had the instant mpg up to 99 mpg, but on instant I average 17 on short trips and 20 on longer trips.

I know it's inline but I still call it V6 most people around here do. It's the same engine as the Cherokee and the Wrangler have. I heard it's one of the most bulletproof engines ever, right up there with Chevy engines 4.3, 5.3, and 5.7, my uncle claims the Chrystler 5.2 is just as tough. Which is what I will probably get if I get a Grand Cherokee with a V8, because 4.7 is to new and I can't afford it. I would still like to know which is the best.
    Those Insurance companies really like to stick it to us young boys. I can't say I blame them, I just look around and see how stupid people can be with their cars, but it's not just boys, girls are just as bad, and older people can be just as bad too. They should judge what you pay by your score on drivers tests, not your age or gender.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter seeks to interview current and former Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee owners. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, March 31, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I must say i still own a trouble free 98 grand cherokee thats become part of the family. My wife and I purchased the 03 limited back in May 2003. From the start we had small problems. Bearings were left out of the rear end so there was loud grinding noise on the highway and especially when turning. The airbag light would go on and off. Found it to be a loose connection behind the airbag and was told the airbag would probably not have worked in an accident and had to leave it at shop for over a week. They also managed to melt a portion of my console when removing the screws under the cup holder which i did not catch until later and they said they did not do it, yea right. The AC did not cool adequately IMO in the texas summer had to run it full blast all the time and it never really got cold like my 98. Had am intermitten loud ticking noise that came from the engine a v8 H.O. which they said was normal, sure it is on a new vehicle. It was so loud we would get strange looks from others at stop lights, totally unacceptable. Then just last week a loud whinning noise was starting to come from the power steering on any left turn. This was the last straw for me. As much as i liked this grand, the ride, power, look, comfort and jeep brand I had to trade it just because of the reliability issues. I purchased a 04 Envoy thats nice in every respect so far but does not have the agressive look, feel and quick off the line power as jeep. Lucky for me my wifes father works for GM was able to buy it at his cost minus rebates which kept our payments the same and no money out of pocket all rolled into note or i would have been heavily upside down. We came out owing the same as what was left on the Grand limited which i put nothing down on as well, not even TT&L just rolled it in. Got lucky i guess. I will one day have another jeep but in at least 3 year from now, until then the 98 GC will have to do which is going to Jeep Jamboree in May. Will be back for the new version Grand or even the Liberty if the reliability issues have been corrected.......
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    That sand cast problem used to be a problem for GM also. Its not common but does happen. I suggest you take the new engine and run with it. I had a Chevy do the same thing and the engine block was replaced. Drove it 110,000 miles and sold it. no problems with new engine.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I recently rented the above vehicle (8000 mile on the odometer) It was absolutely awful. Poorly designed would be the most generous comment I could make.
    I was traveling in the mountains (above 5000 ft) and that might explain its terrible performance. I mean one needed to floor the accelerator to get the kickdown. But almost as annoying was the poor response of the steering. It really lets you know in a hurry that this is not a car. The drivers seat was to soft for me. ( Perhaps the designers think that they need to compensate for a "firm ride")
    The huge transmission tunnel between the front seats was ridiculous.
    I would just say that my wife's Explorer which is several years older with 150k is a more pleasant ride.
  • sylvia42sylvia42 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter wants nothing less than a JGC. Unfortunately, we can only afford an older model. We've found a 1996 Laredo w/ I6 and 131k, one owner. Seems to be in good cond. The only prob. is it's 2WD. Husband seems to think this will be a problem in wet/icy weather - the RWD will not hug the roads as well and the vehicle will fishtail or skid. And since daughter is an inexperienced driver, he's concerned she could lose control/wreck a RWD more easily.

Are his concerns valid? Any other potential problems that I shold tell my mechanic to look out for?

Thanks!
    Personally, no Jeep is a Jeep unless it has 4WD. :)

But in regards to RWD, it can be as safe as FWD but it depends a LOT on the tires.

My 2002 BMW has all seasons on it and handles great in the snow. If I had performance tires on it, it would be lousy in the snow.

Snow or all terrain tires work well to keep the car straight. In my Wrangler, I have never had to put it in 4WD to go through snow. I have BF Goodrich All Terrains on it and my tires do not spin in the snow unless I gun it.

My daughter was driving our 2000 Grand as her first car. We took her to a driving class where they learned how to drive defensively in their cars. She knew what the Jeep could and could not do and as a result, was safer in it.

If you are concerned about fishtailing in the Grand, put extra weight over the rear wheels (in the back storage area). Cat litter or a bag of dry cement works great. That should help the rear wheels maintain good contact into the snow.

Just my .02.

-Paul
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I definetly would not get a RWD vehicle to use in a snow/ice type of country. FWD, AWD, or 4wd is the only way to go especially for a young driver. A slight lead foot and it would land her in trouble. In my opinion, DO NOT get a RWD vehicle.
      Not only that, but I would recommend to sit down and read all the posts from start to finish in re: reliability of JGC. You may change your mind.
    with front wheel drive in the slush fishtailed me into a tree. IHMO, front wheel drive in the snow is no better, just different than rear wheel drive. I do agree about importance of good appropriate tires.

I love how my Quadra Drive w/ full-time 4WD handles in the slippery weather and we just bought our sons a '92 Dakota with 4WD for that reason. However, our price limit was $3-4K for their first vehicle.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Frankly, I think everyone should learn how to drive in snow and ice in a RWD vehicle. Preferably in a large field or on a frozen lake--NOT on the roads. Winter driving with RWD teaches the driver about the balance of the gas, brakes, and traction--it teaches the driver how to pay attention to what's happening with the vehicle.

Learning how to drive in the slippery stuff with AWD or 4WD doesn't really teach the driver much. You have more traction, sure, but that just leads to higher speeds, like taking turns faster. Then, when that driver is driving a 2 wheel drive car, they no longer have the luxury of the additional grip, and often wreck.

-I'll get off the soapbox now.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I have had 3 GC's since 1996 all 4 wheel drive. Do not get a RWD only GC, they will spin out easily when making a turn from a stop in the rain, while trying to merge into heavy traffic.
    PS Forgot to mention this problem in my 02 Laredo I6, I am probably 1 in a million who has had a warped head in this engine, but they did fix it quick and right. Mike F
  • tlillertliller Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of buying a used JGC but I want the 4L 6 engine. I believe it is one of the most durable and reliable engines around. I'm going to be looking in the '96 to '00 model year range. Need help in avoiding a high-maintenance or trouble prone transmission (or 4WD/AWD system. I've seen the 4WD selector in some (with the 6) show 4WD (AWD?) and low-range 4WD. I've also seen selectors with 2WD, 4WD, AWD and low range. I need to know if either of these are as reliable as the old traditional Selectrac found in the Cherokee (2WD, 4WD and low range). Should I avoid any particular transmission or look for any particular one.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    As far as the engine goes, I would highly recommend that you go with the V8. The extra power is well worth having, and the 4.7 that came out in '99 gets only 1 mpg less than the 4L 6. All Jeep engines have been incredibly reliable. It's almost impossible to find a Technical Service Bulletin from 1996-2004 (did not check '93-'95). As for model year I would shoot for the '00, which is miles ahead of the '96 1st gen in features, comfort etc.
    See below from nhtsa.dot.gov. I do agree about considering the V8 as opposed to the I6.

DaimlerChrysler Corporation
    Models: Jeep Wrangler Years: 2000-2002
      Jeep Cherokee Years: 2000-2001
           Jeep Grand Cherokee Years: 1999-2002
                                                                         Number Involved: 1,115,322
    Dates of Manufacture: June 1998 – March 2002
    Defect: On certain sport utility vehicles equipped with 4.0L engines, the design of the intake and exhaust manifolds could allow debris to accumulate at the #3 cylinder location, possibly resulting in a vehicle fire.
    Remedy: Dealers will install a manifold shield to modify the airflow characteristics and to prevent the accumulation of debris in the area of the #3 cylinder. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began May 13, 2002. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
  • mcliffordgoomcliffordgoo Member Posts: 1
    RWD drive should be fine in most winter conditions where roads are plowed on a regular basis. I first learned to drive in BC, Canada in a 2wd Chec s-10 with no worries at all. Putting weight in the back helped. I do recommend antilock breaks though. If you are still looking for a jeep I have one for sell it is an 01 with 39k 4.7 V8. Let me know
  • un-limitedun-limited Member Posts: 15
    Greetings:
    I just purchased a 2001 JGC Limited 37,300 mi. I am shopping for a Chrysler Warranty and want to find where the best pricing might be and if the diff between the MaxCare and Added Care is worth the $.

The Chrysler Warranty only goes to 7yrs from in-service & to 75K mi. which means I get 4 years and about 38,000 mi for about $1,500 with $100 ded.

Any suggestions ? Tnx
    chryslerwarranty dot com in Iowa. They do list up to 84 months and 100,000 miles. Not sure if they will do that much since you are over 36,000. It is pretty expensive to got that many months and miles.

To get details on coverage differences, etc go to www.servicecontracts.chrysler.com

My take was the Maxcare was worth it. The lesser coverage Added Care left out too many parts. Maxcare covers most things except brakes and wear parts such as wipers, etc.

Bill
  • un-limitedun-limited Member Posts: 15
    Thanks: I got a 7/75K MaxCare for $1,555 100 ded for my 2001 GC. That gives me 4 more yrs and about 37,500 miles. cost .04 cts/mile.

I've only had my 2001 for a week and it handles great & rides nice. A/C is cold. I do hear some whine but not terrible or very loud..I don't think it's a problem (I hope)I'm the kind that I notice everything, so it's minimal. I've heard about rotor problems in the 2001 but mine seem ok. My last GC was a '93 & I traded it at 87K mi. Was getting expensive. I plan to keep this one until the warranty runs out & then either get another GC or check out a Toyota or maybe Honda Pilot depending where things are at in 4 years... I also checked the warreanty seller from Iowa, they were only $100 higher than I got locally $1,655 for MaxCare 7/75 chryslerwarranties dot com. If you are shopping for warranty quotes, they are definitely worth contacting.
  • luvmysuvsluvmysuvs Member Posts: 1
    Just a little (biased) history of my vehicles; I bought a '88 cherokee I6 in '90 with 30k on it - it now has 235k and still runs - just had it re inspected in NJ for 2 more years! - too numerous minor repairs but it still goes! the head has never been off, it is a stick, and I replaced the clutch at 190k only because the clutch master cylinder was leaking and the mechanic was "in there anyway" - the old clutch still had plenty of life on it! the main reason I keep it is for "home depot" runs, as the brakes tend to stop the wheels but not the vehicle - probably a tire issue but I don't want to spend money on it. btw, early in my ownership it was rolled in the snow and put on it's side on the highway median (drove away from both!)

Jeep 2 is a '95 5.2 GC laredo - "the sports car of SUV's" - bought as a lease return in '98 with 55k on the clock whatever the problems, this kicks [non-permissible content removed] ! - I've driven 911s, BMW 850csi's, ferraris and still am surprised at the oomph of this truck - now has 170k on it. Trany replaced at 125k normal; eats batteries - every other year - they both do, eats rotors - big car, wife has lead foot and thinks cars have an on/of switch. Only niggling problems are the 4WD switch warning (a pain) radio console bulbs blowing (can't find replacements)front doors sagging - love to hear of any fixes to these.

Bottom line - both these SUVs were relatively cheap to buy used (13k/16k respectively) aftermarket parts are reasonable and available and at this point don't owe me anything.

footnote - as I'm a glutton for punishment, just added to the collection with a 2001 RR 4.6 HSE - THAT one has an extended warranty :)
  • lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I showed up in Boston, went to pick up a rental car and they had a bunch of JGC's at no extra rental cost. Never drove one so I tried it. 4WD Laredo with I6. I found it to be very comfortable, competent and easy to handle. Got 18MPG over a week of touring.

Now I want one. Probably because of the I6; I like something about the power delivery of inline 6's. Edmunds says stuff about poor ride and handling. I failed to notice this.

Presumably used ones are OK. Is there anything to watch for?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Have owned 5 GC. 4 withI6 & now 2001 with V8. No comparison. Get the V8. Same gas milage;lots more fun. Plus you get 5 speed auto.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I have a 99 with this engine. I really like the reliablity to date. No probs. Very strong with good acceleration. Smooth and works well with the transmission. My vehicle also has the Select-Trac. This allows me to choose between 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low. I like the option to choose.
  • ilgymilgym Member Posts: 1
    I AM LOOKING AT A 1996 GC Laredo V6 4.0 FOR MY SON TO DRIVE IN THE WINTER IN DENVER. FOUND ONE, LOOKS GOOD, 62,000 MILES, ASKING $7200. FROM A HONDA DEALER. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT !!!!
    ILGYM