Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    Gerald:
    Thanks for the info. I think I can get my local dealer to come down off of MSRP on a 2002 ML.

Kenyee:
    The only thing really stopping me from buying the 2001 ML is the side curtain airbags. That's why I was also considering the (apologies if I offend anyone) BMW X5. But the almost 10k price difference is a bit too much. I'd rather wait a couple of months for the 2002 ML. Now, those are my thoughts. What do you folks think?

Tranta:
    Email me at arbabc@hotmail.com and I'll put you in touch with the dealer.

Thanks everyone.
  • wlcawlca Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2001 ML320 and I'm new to this board. I was curious about how easy it is to remove the fold down rear seats. I'm also interested in knowing how much space they take up in the folded-up position. (My 2000 Montero, which I am getting rid of, has similar seats that sacrifices a lot of cargo space, even when folded up.) I have yet to see any M class vehicles at my local dealer with the 3rd row seat option, so hopefully I can get some feedback from actual owners. Thanks in advance.
  • johnatkinsonjohnatkinson Member Posts: 1
    I'm torn between buying a used Black 1999 ML320 with 33,000 miles for about $30,500, and a used Green 2000 ML320 with 22,000 miles for about $33,000. Both have M1 package, leather, CD changers, etc and are extremely clean. I like the Black color and lower price of the 1999, but I hear there were substantial positive changes from 1999 to 2000(i.e. interior layout, computerized stereo). Also heard that the 2000 MLs 'might' include the cost of regular service visits as part of the deal(?). Also, the dealer(not a mercedes dealer) is really pushing the extended aftermarket warranty(5 years up to 100k miles, starts day of purchase)

Can anyone help facilitate my decision? Are the differences between 99 & 00 substantial? Are these good prices? Should I avoid the extended warranty?

Thanks,
    John
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Wait for the 2002 then. Ask the dealer to throw in accessories. That is usually easy to do :-)

johnnatkinson:
    The 2000 model does have free service in the 4/50 warrantee period. Also better insulation. You'd be happier with it..
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    I just bought a 2000 black ML320 without considering 1999's because I wanted MB to have another year of production experience to work out their little bugs. Though, my brother-in-law has a 1999 that is been fine for him.

I like the stereo system in the 2000. Do the 1999's have the same transmission control, with the side-to-side downshift control versus the regular MB D-4-3-2 fixed positions? Its great to have.

Personally I'd vote for the extra money and lower miles.

Either way, buy one of them. They are great vehicles and you'll love driving it.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Any guesses as to why the multi Funcation wheel found on the C,E,S classes isn't on the new ML?
    This is even better than wheel controls...it's an option for 2002, but I hope it'll be standard equipment soon.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    As i was cleaning my wheels yesterday, i found light scratches near the lug nuts are, maybe from when the dealership removed the tires to rotate them. I have not washed my car since i got it back from the dealership. Is there anyway of taking care of that? Also, about the weights, I don't know whether it's been discussed here before, but why are they attached outside? Why can't they put the weights where it's not visible? Are these more reliable than the stick ons that are somewhat hidden?
  • birgerbirger Member Posts: 80
    Jamie,

From my (so far 3-month) experience with one of those devices here in Europe, it does not interfere in any way with the operation of the rain sensor if placed behind the "dotted" part of the windshield (to the immediate left or right of the mirror support - see Andrew's picture:

Another issue is whether it will stay there - I had mine detach itself. Funny enough, it was the double-adhesive on the support that gave way, not on the glass surface. Anyway, I release the pass itself from its holder now - giving possible car thieves a free ride on their escape route may be being too kind...

Ride safely, all

Birger
  • tiki3tiki3 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me if purchasing an extended warranty for 01 ML 320 is a good idea? It is kinda expensive and your comments will be greatly appreciated.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Get the 2000 over the 99'. Many many upgrades to the 99' regarding interior rattles. I recall reading about 1400 impovements over 99' model.

3rd row seats are very easy to remove and install. I do it all the time.

Cleaning. I have been a duragloss fan for many years. I have heard many good things about zaino bros. products. I am ordering some this week.

Tires. My generals wore out at 24k. After rotation I am told I need an alignment. Replacing with dunlaps for $87 per this week. Beats 150 for mich's.

Gas milage not doing well on my 2000 320 with a/c.
    Was 20mpg now at 18. new tires should help. My 01'e-430 with 8k is at 21k is similar driving.

ML is doing great, wife loves it, very versitile with 3rd row, and using thule system for kayaks and use the big ski box for long trip hauling and skiing. Great 4wd in snow and ice in mountains.

Buick suv. Saw it in car show last year and looks great in person vs. pictures. when optioned up it lists for 35k. Its a part time 4wd alternative for mini-van. 4wd does not compare, but it beats front whell only. Interior is nice layout. Engine is a wheezer. For that money, honda mdx is better buy. I almost got a MDX but found its not as competant as ML and flimsy interior not to my liking. I am a safety nut and won't compromise. Ml is hands down the best. Exterior is very drab looking in my opinion on MDX. Its a good value alternative for mid-$30s price point.

BMW x-5 is nice also, just does not have the room inside. I like the styling and layout.

I would easily get another ML when the time comes! With Gas prices much higher, this machine really makes sense!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Went to the MB Powertrip Saturday AM.. Looked for Ken Yee, couldn't find you. Well worth the time to go if one comes to your area.
  • tlwwsotlwwso Member Posts: 12
    Here in Houston we have what's called an EZ Tag for use on our tollways. I did not want to place this tag on my windshield and make it a permanent part of my ML. This is what I have done. I took a thick, clear plastic sheet (i.e. a clear, plastic table place mat) and cut out a small hanging tag to hang from the rear-view mirror. I then stuck the EZ Tag to the hanging tag and there ya go! When I'm not on the tollway, I can take the tag down and lock it up in my security box under the front passenger seat or when on the tollway, just push the tag near the windshield when I pass through the toll booth. I hope that this helps.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    So your saying that the '02 M comes with voice control instead of the multi function wheel only as an option.

Maybe someone could address this a little more.

I'm in the middle of a decision on whether or not to order a 02 C wagon or 02 M class. So any input on this is much appreciated.
  • scrtscrt Member Posts: 2
    I just rented a ML320 and I don't know if it has a CD changer or not, if there is where is it?
    sshowitt:

I looked for you as well. I guess I should have emailed you a picture of myself. I didn't think the crowd would be that big. I also couldn't find your red CLK Cabriolet in the lot. I spent too much time in the C comparison area. My writeup is at http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class. I was the guy running around taking pictures with the Kodak digicam. I think there was only one other person taking pictures at the event :-)

scrt:

It's in the cargo area on the left.

seq:

You push a stalk and then tell the radio to change stations or change volume; I suspect that is the next safety feature instead of the buttons. It works well from what Drew tells me. The steering wheel buttons can get annoying if too small (a la BMW) but seem to work well on the C.

• whatwasthatwhatwasthat Member Posts: 23
    Our changer is on the passenger side of the cargo compartment. I think the extended warranty is a good idea given the sophistication of the vehicle. We are getting ours through a dealer recommended by sshowitt on this board. If you leave an email address, I will send you the info. Enjoy!

BTW -- I second bargamon's observations about the ML viz the competitors. The combination of safety, room and overall utility easily put the vehicle at the top of our list.
  • scrtscrt Member Posts: 2
    I looked into the cargo compartment (trunk) and I don't see anything. Is the CD changer concealed or something. It probably doesn't have it i guess
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    The Voice Command function is also on the G-Class (perhaps as an option) but it also has the steering wheel Multi-Function switches as standard equipment. I think the steering wheel controls should be consistent across the Mercedes line... it is ridiculous that MB has not integrated it in yet...rummored nearly 2 years ago as a sure thing and still....

Not to mention the fact that MB redesign a new climate control system for the 2002 M when there was already a superior system in the C and G classes that could have been used instead. We would have had dual zone climate control if only they had not tried to reinvent the wheel!!
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    If you have it it is in the side compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle in the rear cargo area where the jack is located.
  • a32a32 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone here have any experience/suggestions on aftermarket rustproofing/undercoating. I am considering getting this done while the vehicle is new. How does the factory process compare for the ML320. Should I do this on my own after purchase or have the dealer do it for me ? Do you even think that it is necessary
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    When I purchase my ML320 the dealership talked me out of rusproofing the vehicle. According to them MB said that their protection is enough and adding after market rustproofing would actually contribute to rust.
    Push the "CD" button on the radio. If it doesn't have one, it will say that one isn't installed. If it does, it will say there are no CD's loaded.

My 2001 ML loaner also does not have a CD player, single or changer, installed.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Aftermarket rustproofing will generally void any manufacturers warranty for rust through and in the case of mucking up anything else,eg., window regulators, you will out of pocket the cost of repairs.

I've had my 1999 ML320 since September 98. In three winters of 125 to 140 inch snow falls here in the Rochester, NY area, and with a salt mine close by, there is not even the slightest hint of rust anywhere on the vehicle including the entire undercarriage. I drive 38 miles to the office through heavily salted interstates and sanded rural roads.

Buy something fun. Forget rustproofing. You will only create pockets of moisture that will eat through hidden metal areas in the long haul

Lastly, most vehicles today use double sided galvanized steel that rarely rusts unless scratched through or as the result of collision damage with a correspondingly poor repair.

MB tops that by using higher tensile strength steel in some panels to ensure torsional rigidity and the integrity of the safety cage.
  • svadlamanisvadlamani Member Posts: 3
    Hey folks! I need your help on chhosing an ML!

Here are the two choices, and I'd really love to know what a "fair Deal" would be:

(1) 1999 ML 320 with Bose, Heated seats, CD Changer, ESp etc. 12,000 miles, silver color. Warranty expires Sept, 2002

(2) 1999 ML 430 with same options as above and the "sky roof" (not sure that I like this), 27,000 miles, black. Warranty expires Jan, 2002

Quetsions -

(1) What are fair prices for each?
    (2) Can I add a third-seat to either after buying?
    (3) Should I get extended warrranties? If so, any idea how much this will run??

Thanks for yoru help, and would really appreciate some quick responses!

-Sri-
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I recomend against for several reasons, first I have seen and talked about at the factory how Mercedes rustproof their vehicles, they inject hot liquid wax into the body cavities while the body is in a special mount that can tilt the body at all angles, this allows the hot wax to flow inside the panels from end to end, if my memory is correct, they are the only ones in the U.S. that do this. Besides they phosfate coat their vehicles prior to that process.

Second there is not much that one can do other than spray some of that body undercoating that comes in cans and runn the risk of sealing the drain holes in the bottom of the body panels, that will create problems.
    In John Lamm's book about the M-Class, I believe he went on to describe the whole life cycle of the ML. And describes how they rustproof the vehicles. It's very informative if you want to know a lot more about the ML.
  • agreenbergagreenberg Member Posts: 15
    I can really use some help. I have a 2000 ML320 that is 14 months old (I leased it for 36 months). The doorlocks and the car alarm keep going crazy. It has been in the dealership's shop three times already, and after each time they keep telling me that the problem is fixed. It just happened again today (the alarm went off for no reason), and they want me to bring it in again for a fourth time. What can I do to get satisfaction? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Here in the south we do not have to contend with salt, but I can offer a sugestion from my boating practices, there are several brands of salt neutralizers that are used to flush the engine and wash the boat after it has been in the ocean, it neutralizes the salt and coats the metal for future protection, if I lived where salt is used I would after the season is over, wash the vehicle, specially under with fresh water and then finish with a salt neutralizer.

Maybe is not needed but for peace of mind and a lifetime habit of washing the underneath and engine compartment I would do it.

Long time ago when I used to live in south america, a grease and lube job also included to wash the underneath with a pressure hose with the vehicle up the air, after it was clean it was misted with kerosene, it is practically the same thing as WD40 maybe a little better because it has a little higher oil content, I always thougth it was a good idea, at least it sounds good. Heavy equipment like bulldozers after they are cleaned they receive this treatment, mostly with diesel fuel since it is has a higher oil content or kerosenne and oil, keeps the tracks from rusting and seizing, since dozers are known to seat a long time unused.
    Thought about, if someone goes that rout be carefull not to impregnate the brakes and disks, although it will evaporate eventually the first few times the brakes will be very weak. Remember the old drum brakes and driving in high waters?.
    Those are both known problems. GO TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP. Your current one apparently isn't competent to fix known problems. Service quality varies greatly from dealer to dealer :-P
    Hmm...the alarm problem was fixed in the 1999 model. Please let us know what the final result of the alarm fix is.
  • melissaomahamelissaomaha Member Posts: 6
    It has been almost 2 months since I purchased my 2001 ML320. I have the 3rd row seat (3 boys) and find it very easy to put up and down when needed. When both seats are up I can pack: a stroller, a full week of groceries, 2 baseball bags, diaper bag and football equipment, and still have room for more "stuff". Yep, I'd say it works for me.... Love the ride and glad I made the right choice. Looked for 1 year and finally came to the conclusion that safety, ride, looks and reputation, this was the vehicle for me. The MB dealer by my home is great! My husband drives a 2000 E430 and it is fun to switch cars for both of us.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I had a similar problem with my door locks, after changing all of them and still having a problem MB told them to replace the "harness" i looked at it after it was replaced, loaded with corrosion!!! that fixed that. no problems now.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • chasgchasg Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if anyone has ordered a 2002 ml320 yet and any word on pricing?
    Any opinions on whether dealers will be moving off msrp?
    Thanks
  • neil99neil99 Member Posts: 11
    My MY2K ML with less than 5K miles drifts slightly to the right on highway if I let go both of my hands. Is this normal? Cold tire pressure is 32psi at all corners.
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Neil,
    Are you using the same road when you test your hands off steering, if you do the road you are using is not even.Try to use diffirent road or hi-way,because I felt the same thing at first but since I drove 1200 miles last weekend I eventually found out that all the road are not the same. I was doing the same thing on my steering... if its straight or not sometime its shiffted to the right and sometimes it was dead straight for about a minute hands off. so try another road or hi-way.
    I tested my ML on the same highway/road. I also drove my other car on the same highway/road and it is dead striaght with my hands off. One of my friends told me that ALL SVUs do that? I just can't buy that. Anyway, I will take the ML in on Thursday and have the SA tag along the test drive. Thanks for your information.
  • haunruhhaunruh Member Posts: 14
    My '98 is dead straight, even on an UNeven road. Most likely alignment, or a bad front tire. Your dealer should be able to resolve that.
  • a32a32 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all who responded. I will not get the aftermarket rustproofing.

Someone mentioned a book by John Lamm. I am not aware of this and would appreciate more detail please.

Thanks
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    My dealer says the 2002 options and colors will be the same, yet a visit to the www.mercedes-benz.com site notes some new colors (Tanzanite blue, jasper blue, titanite red, andradite green...) - Does anyone have any info or sites to visit to give me accurate 2002 specs and ordering info. Thanks
    a32,

That's the title of the book. You can get it from Amazon i think. I believe that's where i got mine. Very good and informative book for the ML enthusiast.
    I recently bought a black 2000 ML320.

For pricing I compared the Edmunds used car evaluator (which I thought overpriced some), the ads in Yahoo (to see what others were asking for theirs) and the on-line listings from the 6 or 7 M-B dealers closest to me for comparable models.

Price varies by region so its hard for readers here to advise on what you should pay.

My recommendation - Buy either one, once you have an ML the only you won't like is having waited so long to get one. They are great to drive.

On the skyview roof - My ML has one. I was skeptical at first, but bought that ML because of price and mileage (19K). We love it. I have spent enough miles in a 2001 ML loaner with a regular sunroof to know that I much prefer the skyview. It has the big air deflector so it is quieter and much less windy when open. With the skyview fully opened and the windows closed you still need a/c on a sunny day up front. The back gets a little breeze, but the kids (and adults who fancy convertibles) love it. I wouldn't buy another ML without it, and since 2001 is the last year for them (because of air pillows mounted in the roofs of the 2002 model) I anticipate keeping this one for years.
    What kind of tires you have on your ML? I have the Generals. I see some sort of uneven sidewalls on all 4 tires. Is this normal?
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    My ML320 warranty is 9000 miles away from expiring. Since Mercedez doens't sell warranty to
    used cars. I was looking into third party warranties. Does any one have any experience with
    Warranty Gold? www.warrantygold.com.

Thanks
    Tony
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    My 99 MB ML320drifted too.
    I mentioned to the mb dealer a common problem with some tires is that which is called "tread pull";
    wheels were shifted diagonally front to back as I recall and that solved the drifting to the right.

Alignment and balance had been checked prior to this and were OK.
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    a32,

I currently have the book for sale as a used book on Amazon. If you would like to buy it, please contact me at gsmith@semarca.com. It's a great book and I'm glad that I bought it. I bought it new and it has only been read once :).

Gereld
  • richjnjrichjnj Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased new ML320 but have not picked it up yet. Just wanted to let everyone know how helpful this site has been with regard to my purchase. I have been following the postings for several weeks and recently noticed some discussion regarding Lemon Law claims and thought I'd add my two cents. I general, most laws require a documented recurring and unremedied problem (in NJ I think 3 times) and the car usually has to be below a certain amount of mileage. The messages posted earlier were regarding older models and there may be a problem asserting a claim if their state law has similar mileage provisions.
  • shorelineshoreline Member Posts: 10
    Just wanted everyone to know I am a proud owner of a new white on java '01 ML320. (It's only 4 days old!) Couldn't (or wouldn't) have done it without this board. Thanks to all you "expert" enthusiasts for the info. Immediately noticeable surprises: (1) Visibility is excellent - feel like I was driving blind before; (2) Extremely comfortable - more so than than my cushy 95 lincoln town car (hard to believe but it's true); (3) The white on java keeps the interior significantly cooler than my old silver on gray car. (4) Not too big, not too small, just right! (5) Didn't expect it to feel so luxurious and "mercedes-like." All the minor complaints I've heard from critics that had me worried haven't bothered me at all (left cup holder, cruise control switch near blinker switch, right radio controls, rear cd changer, etc.) and there are NO rattles. Now, if I could only bring myself to actually park it in a parking lot and leave it...Thanks everyone!
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Congratulations.. and welcome to the board and enjoy your new toy. Keep Driving.