Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

image2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

There's an odd noise coming from underneath the hood of our MDX, but it's almost too rare and undetectable to do anything about it.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Is it possible that what you are hearing is simply the Variable Cylinder Management system going between 3 and 6 cylinders?
  • Options
    flapsmcgeeflapsmcgee Member Posts: 0
    Man Acura is the worst with engine covers...
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    What about the comments in the previous post regarding this subject? Some of the commenters identified the source of the noise.
  • Options
    tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30
    Please hold Acura's feet to the fire on these noises. There are many owners complaining about this and new owners being told that it's normal. The direct injection noise is fine because that's the nature of the engine but there are other noises that are making owners sell their new 2014 MDX and buying other brands.

Here is one of the dozens of threads from MDX owners: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-2014-acura-mdx/66322-direct-injection-engine-unacceptable-noise-level.html
  • Options
    jgrove255jgrove255 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar issue with mine - sounded exactly like the ABS was kicking in... Very intermittent in its nature.

Check the large plastic cowling ( the large plastic piece that covers the front of the compartment ) on the side where the air intake is to see if it's loose. What happens is that air will occasionally enter in between the loose cowling and the grill causing it to vibrate. I've noticed this at all speeds. It would seem that the air intake contributes to the issue as it aspirates. The oscillations will even modulate the incoming air and cause the engine to bog down.

The simple fix is to place felt tape over the 'pins' (for lack of a better term) of the cowling so that they fit more tightly into the holes of the grill. After doing so, I haven't had any problems since...

Hope this was helpful and Good luck!