Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

image2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds has noticed an odd whirring-motor-type noise occasionally coming from its long-term 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD. The cause is as-yet undetermined.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Acura has been having numerous complaints about noisy high pressure fuel pumps on the new MDX. It comes from the driver's side and sounds like a the usual HPFP ticking but louder combined with a mechanical whirring noise. Apparently this is the same Denso HPFP used on the Toyota/Subaru twins and they are getting similar complaints. The good news is that I don't think any of the pumps have failed. Bad news is replacement pumps eventually make the same noise.
  • Options
    sdegenn2_sdegenn2_ Member Posts: 2
    It's quite possible the dampers for the automatic climate control are just adjusting.

Try fixing the climate to a certain setting all day (floor, bi-lev, vent, etc.) and see if the noise dissapears.
  • Options
    okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    Glad you said front and not rear of the vehicle, I would have suspected that someone left the VACUUM turned on..
  • Options
    okbeartoyokbeartoy Member Posts: 34
    If they include one, vacuum that is, in this vehicle as well as the other Honda van...
  • Options
    brauch_spinozabrauch_spinoza Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like what I have heard coming from two Honda transmissios prior to failing.
  • Options
    ejsimonejsimon Member Posts: 6
    My Lexus LX470 did the same thing. After many months of scratching my head I realized it was the auto AC adjusting the fan speed.
  • Options
    ejsimonejsimon Member Posts: 6
    Oops! sdegenn2 beat me to it. Next time I'll read the posts before posting myself.
  • Options
    larry_davidlarry_david Member Posts: 1
    I have the same or very similar issue. It started happening after I put a few thousands miles on. I have been told by my Acura dealer, Client Relations and the Regional Service Manager that the sounds comes from the high pressure direct injection pump and it is normal. The engineers acknowledged this and it is by design. This noise makes be regret purchasing the 2014 MDX and is completely unacceptable. Check MDX forums and you will see a lot of people have the same problem.
  • Options
    tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30
    There are dozens of message board threads with hundreds of MDX owners with noise problems. I know this is only a percentage of owners but Acura needs to own up and admit there is a problem. Please push Acura to fix your long term MDX.
  • Options
    tyguy2k_tyguy2k_ Member Posts: 4
    I am planning to purchase an MDX at the end of April but this has me concerned. Please Edmunds - find out what Acura plans to do about this. If it will be fixed/adjusted for the 2015 model year, I'll wait.
  • Options
    tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30
    Above and beyond ticking of Direct Injection engine, whirring, constant engine whistling at freeway speeds, rock hard brake pedals, flickering LED headlights....c'mon Acura! Edmunds please keep Acura responsible because 2014 MDX owners we getting the shaft.