Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Acura

image2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

We take the 2014 Acura MDX on a weekend trip to the desert for some light off-road exploring.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Acura always highlights the Super Handling part of SH-AWD but the AWD part is one of the best. It can not only transfer power from front to rear but also side to side. So even when only one tire has traction it send most of the power to that one tire. And it always starts accelerating with a 50/50 power distribution not waiting for slip to be detected.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i would spend endless hours driving trails if i lived close to that type of land...

but i suppose a lot of people say that.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Wait, I'm confused. Pinnacles is not near Trona. It's on the eastern edge of the Salinas Valley.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    SH-AWD is possibly the best luxury market AWD system out there right now. Unfortunately such systems are wasted on Acura's sedans.
  • Options
    joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    curious as to what the other SUVs in the caravan were. looks like one of them is a Patriot.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    One was a Honda Pilot and the other was a last-generation Toyota Highlander.

As for Pinnacles, there's another two places with the same name out near Salinas. East and West Pinnacles sit astride the San Andreas fault, with the sites some large number of miles apart because of the movement of the plates.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    chuckie6chuckie6 Member Posts: 15
    (Face palm). Ugh. Hey, Edmundsmotortrendcnet dudes. Can you pleeeeeze leave those really, really tough environments in SoCal and NorCal and test your SUVs in places where people really need them, like cold-weather places? Where, you know, it's COLD? Yeesh.

"It turns out Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive, aka SH-AWD, is fairly capable on sand."

Um ... chee-yaaaah. For those of us who've owned an MDX and live and drive in the snow (read: sand or any soft unstable surface) every year, of course the SH-AWD is frickin' amazing. Nothing touches it.

Hey, Dan Edmunds. Wanna blow your own mind? Try driving this thing over ice patches. It'll feel like Ton Ton wearing ice-climbing shoes on Hoth.