Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in BMW
image2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

It's ridiculously easy to get at the oil filter on our 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo, but will anyone ever notice?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    athens_athens_ Member Posts: 8
    Dan,

Is it as easy to drain the oil? Does a belly pan need to be removed to access the oil pan drain plug?

Or is there an opening in the belly pan as in the Subaru flat-fours?

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/2012/long-term-road-test/2012-subaru-impreza-sport-ridiculously-easy-diy-oil-change.html
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    BMW has made the car engine electronics so complicated you can't even change the battery on your own without a $4k BMW issued computer to reset the engine CPU to the new battery.

Can you even reset the service reminder on the dashboard on your own on a 2014 BMW?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Agree with athens - tell me about the draining operation, and let me know how to reset the minder if you're going to post about "easy DIY oil change."
  • Options
    mrwashywashymrwashywashy Member Posts: 5
    There is a trap door that allows access to the drain plug, nothing needs to be removed.
    You can reset the service indicator lights manually. you can google "How to reset the 2012-2013 BMW Maintenance light" or go to oilreset.com for instructions on the procedures to this and many other cars.
  • Options
    nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    when you're looking at regular maintenance stuff, BMWs even today are easy to work on. You will also find quite a few owners who will do their own work (out of warranty). I'd also guess there is a higher percentage of BMW owners working on their own cars compared to Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Caddy etc.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    That is awesome; about time.
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    This post is extremely condescending and unfair. Many BMW owners enjoy working on their cars, some going way beyond basic maintenance. Just visit bmwcoding.com and you will see what I mean.

BMWs are extremely easy to work on. Genuine parts are readily available at fair price and are of exceedingly high quality. These cars are made to last a long time and with utmost attention to detail when it comes to repairability.

banhugh, while some models do require battery registration, this a) does NOT require a $4k computer and b) is optional. This process goes beyond what your normal Japanese car does by programming the smart charging system to significantly extend the life of a battery.

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1479
  • Options
    Right, it's optional if you don't mind error codes and can ignore lights popping up on your daily driving car's dashboard. Optional.
  • Options
    @vvk: Thanks for the hint on the website forum (BMWcoding.com)
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    Whose to say that this isn't a benefit to the techs who BMW pays to change the oil under the free service schedule? Time is money and since BMW is in the business to make money any time advantage they give their service techs puts money back in the pocket of the dealer or BMW. It's not all about "us". :-)
  • Options
    @ocramidajzj: I agree but it does help if you want to DIY regardless. If only they issued their car's maintenance manual to the customers along with a PC/mac/ios/andoid friendly diagnostics software (with proper connection to OBD port)...
  • Options
    banhugh, unlike many other manufacturers, terrific maintenance and repair manuals are available both in paper and electronic format for most BMW models. There is also plenty of software, both from BMW and third party developers available for many platforms, including Android and iOS. Again, unlike most other manufacturers. Want to program your Subaru? You have to buy a $2500 SELECT system. If you want to code or diagnose a BMW, all you need is a $17 cable. BMW is BY FAR the most open platform in the world for DIY diagnostics and coding. It is the Linux of automotive world.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    vvk, I think Edmunds is too isolated in the SoCal hothouse where more BMWs are see-and-be-seen toys leased to would-be social climbers and other airheads.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Hmm. So new BMW owners that get free scheduled maintenance for 50,000 miles will turn their backs on that and pay the money and do it themselves? Last time I posted about a BMW oil change I was chastised for not pointing out the fact that there was no need for DIY because of the free maintenance program I failed to point out. So which is it?

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    "Sadly, this state of affairs will go unappreciated." Dan, I think this is what threw me off, mostly. Re-reading your article, I see that your emphasis may have been on the fact that free maintenance makes oil changes unnecessary for DIY people for the first few years of ownership. You are right about that, of course.
  • Options
    camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    How can you say it's an easy DIY without even doing it? It looks like you need a special tool to unscrew the oil filter housing. There is nothing easy about that. On old bimmers you use a 36 mm socket, but it looks like they got rid of that. Maybe they don't want you changing the oil yourself? Old BMW owners do work on their cars, but each generation is less and less DIY friendly.
  • Options
    majorb57majorb57 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how long before you change your oil on 2014 BMW GT 5..I just bought 49,000 miles car I would like to know how many months before I changed oil.Hey can take my vehicle to mom and pop shop that cost less to change oil.Anybody got any recommendations where can go get the best price oil change thank you.