Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

Comments

• Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Voice control seems to be the way to go on my BMWs.
  • Options
    bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    I have this new gen of iDrive with the touch-sensitive controller in my car, but I rarely do destination input inside the car anymore. When I do, I typically use the voice control since you can simply speak the entire address in one breath and do it on the move. For me, the system correctly interprets the address 80-90% of the time. Most of the time I will have obtained the address I need well before getting to the car, so I use the Send to Car app on my Android mobile via Google Maps. Then the address is already loaded in the nav system when I get to the car.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Seems like a nice option but, as bimmerjay noted, there are simply better tools for controlling nav and infotainment functions. I wish automakers would just recognize that the worst smartphone apps and websites are simply easier to use than even the best car-based interfaces. The winner will the automaker who recognizes this and fully integrates the capability of the smartphone in a safe, comprehensive and simple way.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Wouldn't it be vastly easier, faster, and (if you are moving) safer to simply touch the 3?
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    I'm with bimmerjay, I have a '14 X1 with the latest iDrive and I love the myBMW app on my iPhone. I really dig sitting in my office and typing the address into my phone and sending it to my car -- once in the car, it's already there and I simply press "start guidance" and I'm good to go. I'm also a fan of the ConnectedDrive/Office/BMW apps capability -- having Stitcher available at the touch of a button is wonderful during long drives!
  • Options
    bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    @bankerdanny - I don't think so. Touchscreens are great for smartphones and the like, but they remain an absolutely terrible interface in a moving vehicle. You have to focus your attention on the screen and where you're poking your finger. There's no t
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Bimmer: thanks, I misunderstood the post and thought that the 3 was traced on the screen rather than the top of the round controller on the console.