Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in BMW

image2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

A review of the Stop-Start feature in our new long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    skibirdskibird Member Posts: 14
    There should also be a button to turn it off to the right of the steering wheel.
  • Options
    nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    my folks just got a regular 328i sedan and you can definitely turn stop start off with the dedicated switch even in comfort mode.
    they also complained about it defaulting back to on every time and I read that you can have it programmed at the dealer to store your preference in the key, so it'll stay off for as long as you want.
  • Options
    fordracefanfordracefan Member Posts: 6
    I have this feature on my 2012 C350. It defaults on and I will normally leave it on unless I get stuck in stop and go traffic as I worry the wear on the starter/engine if it is constantly starting. But I barely even notice it during normal stops at a stop light or stop sign.
  • Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    My parents X3 has it. I don't usually notice it, but there have been a couple of times where I've come to a stop and decided to go RIGHT NOW to fit into traffic and I've caught the engine and steering with their pants down. There's a moments hesitation with the gas pedal down and I'm turning the wheel and nothing is happening. It's distressing when it happens and I hate it.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    My '13 Jag XF has the feature, but it doesn't seem to engage below 40 degrees. Owners manual notes 32. So, with this cold New England winter, not much experience yet. But the few times it's engaged, once I got (get?!) used to it, it didn't seem overly obtrusive. I agree, though, in stop/go traffic I'll probably disengage. But, I have a couple of lenghty stoplights along my commute, will probably enjoy seeing the mpg-o-meter not plunging while idling!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    random_shotsrandom_shots Member Posts: 14
    I am more concern down the road when motor mounts begin to wear. At some point you will have a pronounced vibration every time the engine turns off/on.
  • Options
    sharp_caisharp_cai Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2013 335i M sport with this [non-permissible content removed] (Auto Start- Stop) feature, and I leave it on at most of time. It doesn't bother me at all. Save fuel?? That's a big question mark. How much fuel we can save by having this feature? and why Japanese cars don't have it on their cars?

People on the Bimmerpost.com are saying BMW dealership is able to default the feature, but not sure if it's true.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    My family and I find automatic start-stop disruptive, too. We turn it off.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I would have this programed off before I left the dealership. I alone control when the motor shuts off.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    The only car I've driven with this feature was my in-laws' civic hybrid. I found everything about driving that car incredibly annoying but the start/stop wasn't one of them. Sure I noticed it every time. But the reason you notice it is because the car gets so quiet and peaceful when you're stopped. And that's fine with me. It's just a change of expectations and I think it's an easy one when you consider that there's no reason to have NVH intruding in the cabin while you're stopped. Then it actually becomes a luxury.
  • Options
    bmwfan11bmwfan11 Member Posts: 5
    Incorrect, Donna. To turn off start/stop you press the button devoted solely to that feature which is located directly above the ignition button. Look for the button with an A with a circular arrow above it. You can then drive in any of the modes (including Eco and Comfort) with the start/stop system deactivated, not just sport.
  • Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    It is easy to change that setting if you have an Android phone/tablet and a $15 bluetooth OBD-II adapter. Download BMWhat app for $58 and you are all set.

I really like the auto start stop feature in combination with auto-hold. When you drive in stop and go traffic, you can relax and enjoy the silence at the same time. Without auto-hold, it is not as good.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    If it works well then it's not a problem. From most reports I've read GM and Ford have really good systems that restart without vibrations. The Germans, not so much.
  • Options
    briancalhounbriancalhoun Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if this has it but my 535i has a button below the ignition button that says A off. That turns off auto start stop. I think on a 3 series the button is above the ignition button, also you should be able to take it to a dealership and have them force it to remain off if you turn it off.
  • Options
    donnaderosadonnaderosa Member Posts: 5
    There is a button near the ignation. But it does not remain off. You have to press it every time you start the car. -- Donna
  • Options
    joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    i drive a 300 w/a hemi and i get about 14mpg. when i know i'm going to be stopped at a light or a drawbridge for a while, i physically turn the car off myself, so...
  • Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    My wife had a 328 with this feature as a loaner car. Once. After that, she asked that I drive the loaner when we had one. She was similarly unhappy with a rental Prius she had on the road. That's one reason why she now drives a Passat diesel.
  • Options
    x_loverx_lover Member Posts: 1
    There isn't an "A Off" button under the engine start/stop button? I know the 3 sedan has one. I thought they all have it. It shows it in a picture on their website where it explains the feature on the GT.
  • Options
    arirochmannarirochmann Member Posts: 2
    Stop-Start can be configured by the dealer to go into "Last Selected Mode". This means that if it is turned off it will remain off, even through multiple restarts, until otherwise selected by the driver.

What's strange is I heard this was now the default mode for 2014s due to customer complaints, but your model obviously does not seems to be configured as such.