Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Cadillac ATS Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Cadillac

image2013 Cadillac ATS Long Term Road Test

An update on the Euroness of Edmunds.com's long-term 2013 Cadillac ATS

Read the full story here

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Why is the fuel filler being on the right "European" and why is it being on the left "American" other than the notion that only Americans would be so lazy as to find walking an extra 5 feet to put gas in the car to be a horrific ordeal.
  • zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    I'm not quite sure what the problem is either. frankly it can be helpful at a crowded gas station to be on the "other" side relative to most cars.
    i had an old isuzu trooper with the filler on the pass. side as well... i think your "argument" is a little off-base.
  • sydtron_sydtron_ Member Posts: 3
    Anyone else hate the giant metal poles most stations like to drop right where you open your door to get out? This would add a few steps to the pump, but avoid those dang poles!
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Huh? I can't remember the last time I had a car with a filler on the driver's side.

My 2011 GTI (made in Europe) has it on the passenger side. My 2003 SVT Focus (designed in Europe, made in Mexico) does too. My wife's 2007 Sienna Limited (designed in Japan/USA, made in USA) does too.

If you have it on the driver's side, all the traffic pulling away from the pumps is pulling away on the left side of the lane between the pumps - why is that a good idea, considering we drive on the right?
  • smrtypants44smrtypants44 Member Posts: 25
    IIRC The reason the Europeans put it on the passenger side is so that when you run out of gas on the side of the road and end up filling up your car via a can you are on the opposite side of the car from traffic...
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @sydtron yup, I really do. I put a nice crease in the edge of my Miata's door on one of those. Ultimately my fault, but still annoying.

If smrtypants44 is correct then that isn't just a European thing. I'm sure AAA and all the other roadside assistance o
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    A filler on the driver's side is superior why? Because it saves you 3 feet of walking? Well, I guess laziness is the American way.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Are you referring to British European or Continental European?
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I don't see the problem with the fuel filler door being on the passenger side. It takes what, 3 additional seconds to walk around the car?
  • ed124ced124c Member Posts: 0
    Another good reason for the filler door to be on the right: Getting sideswiped by an oncoming car. I like the other reasons above, especially the one about adding gas on the side of the road.
  • bobinsepabobinsepa Member Posts: 12
    The Japanese drive on the left therefore they put the gas filler on the left and route the exhaust system to the right. All of that would be expensive to change. Lots of people drive Japanese cars.
    Remember the curbside gas pumps common in small towns years ago. Can you imagine having to stand in the middle of street traffic with a stretched hose full of gas. Right side makes sense in USA.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @bobinsepa "Remember the curbside gas pumps common in small towns years ago." These are not that uncommon in Europe, hence the fuel filler is on the right.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    @ greenpony "Are you referring to British European or Continental European?" As an ex-pat I can tell you there is no British European. If that damned tunnel to France ever collapses I would be the first to say never build another.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @agentorange: I lived in England for seven years, and had forgotten. They did get so uppity when the Euro was proposed. I guess they're glad that they knocked it down right about now.
  • ttopjohnttopjohn Member Posts: 25
    What's european about it? Yeah, it's on the passenger side on my BMW, and on the driver's side on my 4th gen F-body, but my 2006 SRX has it on the passenger side as well. Come to think of it, I'm almost certain that the recently discontinued and certainly not european DTS had it on the passenger side too.

The only disticntly "American" location for the fuel filler that comes to mind is behind the license plate like on your Grand National. But perhaps some european cars of old have it there too.
  • al2travelal2travel Member Posts: 13
    I prefer passenger side fuel filler, always less wait, if any, at Costco fuel station!