Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Ford Mustang Revealed in Latest Spy Photos

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2015 Ford Mustang Revealed in Latest Spy Photos

The latest spy photos reveal a largely uncamouflaged front end and deliver the most complete look yet at the redesigned 2015 Ford Mustang.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I don't think that front end is missing any essential "Mustangness". The shape is a nice blend of the current Mustang grill and the new corporate "Aston" grill. Eliminate the obvious running horse and show me the same photo and I would have said Mustang without hesitation.
  • Options
    lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    It will be nice to see the finished product, and some track specs.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I agree lions, I can't remember when I was as excited about the intro of a new car.
  • Options
    themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Appears to be the Fusion coupe
  • Options
    jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    My Impressions free-style:

- front end is properly sporty! Very European. BMW M5 esque on the lower half, and obviously the Aston Martin trapezoid grill, with an American bad-az meaness. Nice!!!

- Loosing 400lbs, and smaller exterior dimensions as SPOT on target for what pretty much all cars need these days, Especially sports cars. I hope this car continues to move away from being a purely muscle car to more hybrid sports/muscle.

- I hope Ford addresses Mustang seats which have always been as supportive as carpeted plywood.

- I hope that they tighten up the Mustang's steering feel. For this, I'd prefer the added weight with a proper Hydraulic system as apposed to a lighter electronic assist.

- Wonder how they reduced weight by 400lbs while adding the rumored independent rear suspension? Ford has said all along that such a move would necessarily add weight at the same price point. Oh no!..don't tell me the Mustang will cost more now :( They are approaching BMW 335 numbers in terms of price. Maybe that is justified given that they may have already surpassed the 335 in terms of driving dynamics and performance. But a part of being a Mustang is being a car for the blue collar man.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I can't take any of the pictures seriously. With the instrumentation gear all I can see is a lame attempt at recreating the stunt car from "Back to the Future".
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Tires look pretty wide.
  • Options
    boff_boff_ Member Posts: 51
    Sorry Edmunds, but I think your "400 lbs. lighter, 6.5 in narrower" scoop is going to turn out to be holy horseshit. The form factor of this car looks very similar to the current car. Although it would be nice for the Mustang to be lighter than a Fusion and narrower than a BRZ, it ain't gonna happen. The fact is that the current car weighs a shade less than the M3, and makes a pretty good account of itself despite it's old tech underpinnings. The IRS will give the engineers a better chance to dial in the ride and handling. I'll bet the car turns out to be running a heavily revised version of the existing platform.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Right, boff, I'm definitely not seeing the smallness in the shots with the yellow Mustang. That said, Ford Corporate has committed to fuel economy improvements through weight reduction, so the buying public should still expect a lighter Mustang. 400 lb lighter might be a stretch, but 100 lb isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm just struggling to see the size reduction with that comparative model there.
  • Options
    future15ownerfuture15owner Member Posts: 7
    The car does look smaller, and weight will be reduced using some of the techniques used on their other vehicles, and tech Ford aquired from Volvo: boron steel, and custom rolled unibody pieces that taper and thicken along the length or height of the part -- not just stamped from a traditional piece of sheet metal. There should be a significant weight savings across the lineup, however the quoted 400lbs savings will probably be only for the 2.3L, whose turbo that will be bolted directly to the manifold (first ever of this kind). So Ford will have a car whose base model should come in under 24k (v6), that gets well into the 30s for at least V6 and I4 models highway mpg, and I bet all of them will quarter under 14 seconds, hold a full g on the skidpad, slolom around 70, and have good figure 8 times too. The V8 should be quartering down in the 12's, since the current car is good for 13 flat, and weighing less the V6 should be squarely in the 13's -- some tests I've seen have the current car at 14.1, and some as low as 13.9.
  • Options
  • Options
    boff -- great thread -- I especially like the pictures detailing the plate width as a scale reference. I wonder if someone can look at the latest, given that the mule in them seem to have a combination of boss/cobra 19" wheels. Maybe it's just me, but the wider track and shorter wheelbase combined with the tighter-looking nose just makes the car look a bit smaller to me -- I like the proportions I'm seeing. I think the weight savings will be coming from stealing a little from here and there -- do a little poking around on boron steel and some of the techniques they've employed in other cars (taken from Volvo) -- these methods are not used on the current mustang. I can't speak as to how much weight would be saved -- but even if they used the methods used in the current focus, fusion, and fiesta to create a cosmetically identical vehicle to the '14 Mustang some weight savings would be realized. I will look for a link for you -- I read about it the other day...
  • Options
  • Options
    That's some interesting tech. Very often we see that companies will save several hundred pounds relative to the componentry of the previous model, only to give it back in added equipment, safety gear or sound deadening. All this being said, were Ford to succeed in realizing these weight savings, I'd be the first in line to trade in my '13 GT. :)
  • Options
    I'm not sure if I'd trade in a '13 GT -- whatever the 15 is like, your '13 is still a hot car. As for Ford making it's goal, I hope they are able to do it -- the survival of the Mustang really depends on it. I think it would really be something for the V8 to be down 400 pounds, with more to be taken out of it in various ways (a lighter wheel/tire set, different driveshaft, exhaust, etc.). One can dream... I'm forty, and drive a '99 civic that's served me very well -- I'm just trying to keep it going until I can see what the next Mustang looks like, and test drive it -- if for whatever reason I don't like it, I'm back to the drawing board. I reckon the smartest thing to do is wait until the '17s are out and buy a low-mile '16... but I doubt I can hold out that long!
  • Options
    joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    If thats the new Mustang I think Fords got problems.
    First it's to small, second it looks like a Focus front end.
    The Camaro has kicked the Stang in the butt because of Style, it is a little larger and wider giving it a nice stance.
    Seems like Ford is doing to the Mustang what it did to Lincoln cheapen it up, too much.
  • Options
    joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    It's the Mustang II all over again.
  • Options
    22respeedwagon22respeedwagon Member Posts: 0
    If it looks exactly like this, I'll buy two.
  • Options
    Studying the proportions of the car has revealed that the wheelbase is a little shorter, and the track is wider than the current car. Also, the new car will be being built using the same weight savings techniques as in the current Fusion, Fiesta, and Focus. And the car is expected to get power bumps across the line -- more power, less weight, and IRS = better performance, to include fuel economy. And it's not based on the Pinto. When I look at the Evos and Fusion, I see cars made by the company that builds the Mustang. There's a lot of Mustang in this Mustang -- look back through the years -- there has just about always been a corporate language that the Mustang tied in with -- why should it be any different now?
  • Options
    lithdoclithdoc Member Posts: 1
    Looks like they purposefully made little effort to cover the front, as the back was all tucked away
  • Options
    rb336rb336 Member Posts: 1
    You all need to take a closer look - the front clip is a fake. It is especially apparent in the nearly side-view pic
  • Options
    corollamikecorollamike Member Posts: 29
    Is going to look like a Fusion Coupe, if you ask me--kinda like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is to the Genesis Sedan.