Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Detroit Losing Ground to Imports, New Consumer Survey Finds

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageDetroit Losing Ground to Imports, New Consumer Survey Finds

After a number of years of improving quality, U.S. automobile manufacturers are once again losing ground to the imports, according to a new report by the American Customer Satisfaction Index.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    Since when is this news?
  • Options
    engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    "Lincoln, last year's winner, stopped being measured because of low market share." This is not good news. I would like to see Lincoln succeed and start gaining market share. They were well liked and respected when I was growing up. I don't mind Lincolns that share parts and platforms with Fords, but their cars need to be strong, handsome and compelling with competitive performance, quality and attention to detail. There is more in common between Audi and Volkswagen models than many people realize and yet Audi has earned respect, market share and the status of a premium luxury brand. Lincoln should be able to do the same. I hope they do.
  • Options
    unionbusterunionbuster Member Posts: 42
    Perception is reality.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I had the thought that the upswing in sales might be related to the decline in quality perception, but not for the reason given in the article. Until the past few years domestic cars were really bought, aside from fleets, by loyalists willing to overlook the quality problems. The quality has gone up, no doubt, but now they're also being looked at by consumers used to 90s and early 2000s era Toyota and Honda quality. They won't be as easy going as the domestic brand loyalists.
  • Options
    joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    Funny that so many of the US name plates import many of their cars and trucks from Mexico and Canada and more of the Import brands are building their products here.
    If its okay for Eord, GM and Chrysler to sell imported vehicles then it is okay if I buy an import brand made here. or just buy an import.
    US car companies have not been loyal to their customers this problem has existed for decades and just when they act like they are going to change, back to the same ol' thing