Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

10 Ways the 2014 Porsche Cayman Is Better Than the 911

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Porsche
image10 Ways the 2014 Porsche Cayman Is Better Than the 911

Porsche limits the 2014 Cayman's performance to maintain model-line protocol. Edmunds lists 10 ways the 2014 Porsche Cayman is better than the 911.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    A Cayman GT3RS would destroy most 911s.

Too bad Porsche will never make a car that would make them great instead of merely 'good enough.'
  • Options
    yooshinyooshin Member Posts: 2
    Interesting read and some good points. Now back to shopping for my CPOed 997..
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    The 911's tendencies for bass-ackwards into ditch oversteer doesn't come down to where its engine is located, rather it's because earlier 911s had pretty primitive suspensions. It wasn't until they moved to the multi-link rear that they were able to tame the car. The 911's weight distribution is also an advantage in braking and acceleration.

The 911's CoG is slightly lower than that of the Cayman (last time I checked), but the Cayman's polar moment of inertia is significantly tighter. That means the 911 tends towards stability while the Cayman is more tossable.

I'd wager that up until you get to the tightest corners, the 911 can still hang with, and be superior to the Cayman. That's why it's successful on most race tracks. Once you get to autoX levels or canyon levels of narrow and windy, the Cayman has an advantage.
  • Options
    protardprotard Member Posts: 2
    It's all about how much they improved the Cayman's looks. It was kind of a lump before, a half-effort. Now it's genuinely desirable for more than just its excellent driving dynamics.

I would be tempted to replace my 911 (which sees regular track duty) with a new Cayman, were it not for the fact that you can't put a couple of small kids in the back of a Cayman like you can a 911.
  • Options
    widerisbetterwiderisbetter Member Posts: 3
    Mostly agree the 981 is the better platform, although I would be wary of claiming an equal power/grip cayman would trump the 911 in every category, the 911 has the weight dist. advantage in standing start and slow corner exit acceleration situations assuming equal gearing, and it may have more stable braking behaviour in some situations. It's never an all out win for any car in every single test of speed, there are always compromises to be made with every vehicle choice , but I think it can be said the Cayman is probably the best choice most of the time.
  • Options
    widerisbetterwiderisbetter Member Posts: 3
    Mostly agree the 981 is the better platform, although I would be wary of claiming an equal power/grip cayman would trump the 911 in every category, the 911 has the weight dist. advantage in standing start and slow corner exit acceleration situations assuming equal gearing, and it may have more stable braking behaviour in some situations. It's never an all out win for any car in every single test of speed, there are always compromises to be made with every vehicle choice , but I think it can be said the Cayman is probably the best choice most of the time.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Is the 911 really more attractive to women?
  • Options
    drerx8drerx8 Member Posts: 3
    I love the Cayman and there is no denying its abilities and the points in this article are well made...however...a big portion of the purchase is that which can't be measured on a test track. The prestige of a 911 is worth a big portion of admission cost. I plan on shopping for a used 991 hopefully ...my R230 SL is nice...but 911 is waiting.
  • Options
    autoboy1autoboy1 Member Posts: 2
    The 911 has more room in it for very tall people and small kids can fit in the back seat for short trips. This was enough for me to buy the 911, but I got mine used where the price difference is much smaller.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    911 owner here who LOVES both the old Cayman and the new Cayman (in as much as I can love the new car without driving it). I can't really disagree with much in this article EXCEPT for the comment about the useless rear seats. There are a lot of us 911 owners that need those small seats to fit our young kids. Those seats make the purchase of such a great, every day sports car a reality for many of us.
  • Options
    logicalthoughtlogicalthought Member Posts: 1
    >> Is anything the Porsche 911 offers worth $20K-$35K more? Only if you're in it for the women.<<

...in which case the extra $20-$35K is just a starting point!
  • Options
    markstudymarkstudy Member Posts: 2
    I like your 10 points... and I especially identify with your line- They bought the Cayman because they wanted a Cayman. Personally, I didn't care if it said Honda or Porsche on the back I just love the mid-engine design. I THINK YOU CONCLUSION IS FUNNY... because 95% of the public can't tell a 911 from a Cayman. And while filling up at the gas station, even car guys have trouble (I got mine without the badge on the back, looks cleaner an easier to detail). I'd say its safe to guess 99% of women can't tell a 911 from a 987 Cayman. LOL (PS I think that's why they changed the look of the 987 which looked too much like a 911, to the new 981 which gives Porsche a little more separation between the two models)
  • Options
    carmageddoncarmageddon Member Posts: 11
    I've owned five 911's and one Boxster S. Let's say your criterion is something the author of this article leaves off his list: which car is more fun to drive. Since this is the only reason I drive Porsches, you can tell by my buying habits which model I think leads in the driver happiness category. While the mid engined cars are objectively "better", the rear biased cars are measurably more entertaining. And my "scary" '81 SC is far more fun than my 997.

Caymans are Porsche sports cars so by definition fantastic; they're just not going to provide as many grins as their unbalanced predecessors.

Oh and by the way, about that "useless" back seat? I've used it in every 911 I've had both for for luggage and in a pinch, for (admittedly uncomfortable) passengers. When the missus tells you we're taking the family hauler on date night because we have to pick up junior on the way home, in a Boxster/Cayman you're out of luck. Think of the 911 as the family sports car.
  • Options
    pc123456pc123456 Member Posts: 9
    My question, which nobody seems to be asking, is why the 911 costs so much more than the cayman?

The engines are very similar, the interiors are not that much different, yeah, the 911 is a bit bigger, but manufacturing costs must be not too far away from each other.

Is it all just prestige mark-up for the 911?
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    The 911 just looks "right", even if it is technically the wrong design. The back seats are a useful and novel. It would come down to which is more fun to drive, which I think could not be answered by reading about them. I've occasionally read the word "anodyne" to describe the new Boxster and Cayman, but (bad as it sounds)maybe that's only in relation to how unflapple Porsches have become.
  • Options
    lovcars1lovcars1 Member Posts: 1
    Good, succinct article. The point was well made. The 911 is for prestige--more for that I have a nuclear weapon in my arsenal although I'll never use it (probably)
  • Options
    drjoe356drjoe356 Member Posts: 1
    Herr Ruf is currently addressing the power deficit in the Cayman by transplanting a slightly modified 3.8 engine into the Cayman for those feeling the "Need for Speed".
  • Options
    ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    I would really like to see the current 911 in a completely stripped out form and unlike typical Porsche ......for less money. My thought is a 3.0 liter, manual fabric seats, no sunroof, no back seats, no nav, PDK only (its faster), only red, white black, yellow colors, simple stereo, no rear wiper, fixed rear wing sort of like the 2.7RS of 72 or so.......but a complete stripper to help more people get into the car. The same idea could be applied to the Cayman but with a 2 liter flat four or VW /Audi 2.0 T inline four cylinder. I had a 2007 Boxster 2.7 for about 2 yrs. but would only be tempted again if they offered a more affordable entry.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    @Ks55, I totally agree with your wish and support a stripper model 911. Make it the quirky choice with rear seats for the blue-collar enthusiast stretching his budget, but optioned can become a luxury GT. And launch the Cayman into halo-hood.
  • Options
    kinga21kinga21 Member Posts: 1
    Say what you will about the Cayman's polar-moment-of-inertia advantage over the 911, but the fact remains tail force is where it's at in practical road course and GT driving. Just look at that big rear wing on a F1 car. It only opens/relaxes mid way on a long straight. Otherwise, it's tail-down force the rest of the way around the circuit (and that includes Monaco). This is what makes the 911 worth the extra money, truly effectively-balanced driving performance. Otherwise, Porsche would not build the 911, iconic looks, backseat and sunroof aside. They had it right in 1949, and haven't changed the core model's weight distribution layout since. The laws of physics never change.
  • Options
    joeb25joeb25 Member Posts: 1
    I love mine, it's a great car !!! The PDK is excellent too..
  • Options
    klop, jackklop, jack Member Posts: 0
    911 is one of the best performance cars in the word for a reason. Vic Elford in his book "Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook" explains it best. In short, 911 has best weight distribution for acceleration (even out of the corner) and best weight distribution for braking. On 911 tight low speed turns can be taken at higher speed than on a mid engine car. Finally, a light nose allows for a very quick turn in.

If you know how to control overseer (which you should if you buy sports cars to go fast, not to show off) 911 is actually safer than a mid engine car. A mid engine car will start loosing cornering traction evenly, which means that if it started to slide, it will continue sliding until enough energy is lost. This behavior is ok, if you have enough room to slide to the outside of the turn on a wide race track. But what if it happens on a tight mountain road? 911 in the same situation will start over-steering (i.e. it will actually start turning even tighter) which can be controlled by a driver of a reasonable skill level without using any more room on the road than was originally planned.

Also, while 911 is indeed more likely to start over-steering than a mid-engine car, 911 over-steer is more predictable. The same low polar moment that allow a mid engine car to feel so nimble, can potentially cause difficult to predict snap over-steer if you lift off too abruptly or drive over a patch of wet pavement.

Finally, my perception is that most people who buy 911 buy it for rear engine and the performance it offers, not for status, while those who by Cayman buy it because they wanted Porsche (for status) but could not afford 911 or were too scared that 911 would be too dangerous to drive. In other words, 911 is for performance, and Cayman is the one for women. ;)
  • Options
    tinydirttinydirt Member Posts: 1
    Go for the Cayman. Women don't give a damn what kind of car you drive.
  • Options
    cold_surfercold_surfer Member Posts: 1
    take the $$ you save and buy a Jeep or a Chevy Pickup with lift kit - if you want to pick up women..
  • Options
    lateapex1113lateapex1113 Member Posts: 1
    The majority of people talking about the Caymans superior platform can't be track drivers, or just haven't had enough seat time in a 911 for a fair comparison. I consider myself an experienced driver... many seasons in SCCA and NASA door to door racing in quite a few race cars.. I have owned a Boxster, Cayman, and 911 street / HPDE cars and I can tell you that for a fast driver, the 911's platform is the best hands down. The Cayman is fast and fun, but finicky, just like the Boxster. When you are on the limit and it decides to swap ends you'll get what I am saying. The 911 has big performance advantages, you just have to know how to use it. Lets cut to the chase though - The real reason you are bragging the Cayman is a better performer is because 1. It is what YOU own so therefore its better... OR 2. It seems like it might be faster on paper - You think gosh, F1 cars are mid engined so why WOULDN'T the Cayman be better than a 911- it has a low polar moment for christs sake!! OR 3. a mixture of 1 & 2. Look friends, you can't learn to drive on the internet, no more than you can truly learn what a cars advantages are on the track without driving them. DRIVE.
  • Options
    G8RPILOTG8RPILOT Member Posts: 1
    I traded up from a 2016 911 S to a 2016 Cayman S. It wasn’t a matter of money. I can afford to drive just about anything up to $200k.

While the 911 is superior in a straight line speed ... point to point ... the Cayman will give it hell in the twisties. This why I’m sticking with my 3.4 L Cay. With a few performance enhancements I can live with 3.7 seconds to 60 and a top speed of 175. I’ll rarely rap it up past 150.

But moreover I love the aesthetic appeal of the Cayman and the fact it’s a true 2 seat sports car with no rear jump seat.

And I don’t care what ANYONE says. The Cay handles much better than my 911 ever did. If you’ve ever driven both at a brisk pace through some switchbacks and tight chicanes you’d know exactly what I’m talking about. It’s really easy to swap ends in a 911. The Cayman is much more forgiving and nimble. If you’re preoccupied with straight line speed get a 911. If you prefer more technical driving and want a “drivers car”... seriously compare the Cayman. I think the vast majority of people will see the brilliance of the “gator”