Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The History of the Mazda 3: A Look Back Through Time

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

imageThe History of the Mazda 3: A Look Back Through Time

Edmunds' look back through the years at the Mazda 3 and its predecessors: a thorough history of the 3 and virtually every Mazda leading up to it.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jakedasnake66jakedasnake66 Member Posts: 1
    Miss my '03 Protege5. It's been almost 10 years and I still regret on trading it in for the worst car I ever owned, '04 Pontiac Grand Prix.

See them on the road today and I still think "Damn, that was one car that was done right!"
  • Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    The 2001 MP3 had split-spoke Racing Hart rims. Wonder where the rims came from in the pic IL posted.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    My wife's first real car after college was a used '95 Protege LX with about 33,000 miles on the odometer. We added 120,000 of our own in the next 7 years. We held on to the car that long because it continued to provide reliable, inexpensive transportation. While acceleration from the 1.5L engine was leisurely even with the 5 speed manual we liked the fact that the suspension was very tossable. Countless times I thought to myself, "This car is totally ready for another 50hp." We also liked the roomy interior that Mazda engineers managed to fit inside the compact exterior dimensions. We could carry 4 adults on short trips and 3 adults plus all our gear on week-long road trips. Consequently a Mazda 3 has been on our short list every time we've considered buying another inexpensive small car.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    My wife's first real car after college was a used '95 Protege LX with about 33,000 miles on the odometer. We added 120,000 of our own in the next 7 years. We held on to the car that long because it continued to provide reliable, inexpensive transportation. While acceleration from the 1.5L engine was leisurely even with the 5 speed manual we liked the fact that the suspension was very tossable. Countless times I thought to myself, "This car is totally ready for another 50hp." We also liked the roomy interior that Mazda engineers managed to fit inside the compact exterior dimensions. We could carry 4 adults on short trips and 3 adults plus all our gear on week-long road trips. Consequently a Mazda 3 has been on our short list every time we've considered buying another inexpensive small car.
  • Options
    hank - that pic was a non-NAM version and it had the same 17 inch rims as the EX and Protege5 from 2002 (2003 it changed again). The mirrors and side signals are another sign. The side turning lamps didn't come to the US until 2003 and they were clear lenses, not yellow.
  • Options
    hank - that pic was a non-NAM version and it had the same 17 inch rims as the EX and Protege5 from 2002 (2003 it changed again). The mirrors and side signals are another sign. The side turning lamps didn't come to the US until 2003 and they were clear lenses, not yellow.
  • Options
    tall10512tall10512 Member Posts: 2
    Love the last two generations of the Mazda3 and currently own a 2006 Mazda5 (based on the Mazda3 platform). The only thing that I wish Mazda would correct is the rear wheel well rusting that seems to plague all Mazda's within the first 5-7 years of the vehicles life. My Mazda5 is starting to rust in the arches now and it is effecting my decision on which vehicle to purchase next in the coming year. Do they have some poor supplier of sheetmetal? I want a Mazda6 or Mazda3 as my next vehicle but not if it will be rusting in 5-7 years again!