Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cars We Wish Automakers Would Build

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

Comments

• windsor5windsor5 Member Posts: 4
    must build Model R =D. if battery technology didn't suck /shakes fist. I blame the invention on the process that gave us cheap gas =P imagine battery technology today if we didn't go the way of gas engines so long ago.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Methinks Jonathan had more than just sugar on his morning cereal. ;) I'd settle for a low-pressure turbo variant of the 1.8 Sonic to give it about 180bhp without excessive lag. The Honda CRZ-Y would still be nose heavy and not handle. I like the mid-engined Versa and the Super MX-5 coupe ideas.
  • softrose4you_softrose4you_ Member Posts: 14
    I would like to see Lexus build the GS-F.
  • ansibeansibe Member Posts: 7
    Some good ones here. I like the cayman, Tesla, and the miata.
  • disadisa Member Posts: 3
    The only one on this list that would get me excited is the Cayman GT3RS.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Jonathan Elfalan like Photoshop! But most of these ideas are way over the top and not likely to happen, see Super Raptor with 25 inches of travel (!) via "electronically adjustable magnetorheological shocks" (!) on 37's for example. On the other hand, one of the easiest to actually achieve, the Cayman GT3RS, while probably never be cleared for production though. I also liked the Model R, the lines just seemed to work well. It was pretty amusing that he was trying to goad manufacturers into listening to his ideas too.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I'm a 997S owner that would buy a Cayman GT3 (or RS) in a heartbeat. But I don't think that would ever see the light of day.

On the other hand, I completely agree that Mazda has been foolish for nearly two decades by not offering a hardtop version of the Miata here in the States. That would make an EXCELLENT little sports car.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I agree on the Miata Coupe. We don't get enough good convertible weather where I am and I'd like a bit more room than the Miata has. It is nice to have even a parcel shelf to toss a jacket on and feel a bit less claustrophobic.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    As the owner of the proto-Miata Coupe, a '72 MGB-GT, I can say with absolute certainty that a Miata GT would be a fantastic car and a strong seller for Mazda. My car is fun, looks great, and is very practical. Just make sure it doesn't get hit with the 'weird stick' that inflicted the awkward looking BMW Z3/Z4 coupes on us.
  • oochulshinoochulshin Member Posts: 1
    I wish Mazda would bring back the rotary, but I guess that won't be happening unless they make a breakthough or something in rotary engine technology.
  • ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    An interesting article for sure ........but a little "overboard" on most suggestions......YES-and agree big time on Miata Coupe but with new Mazda 6 189 hp. 2.5 and yes make it as good looking as the illustration. It surely would be more economical as the new 6 is rated at 38mpg on the highway. I owned a 90 and a 95 and keep hoping a coupe is in the cards for the next version. Never understood why Mazda keeps hesitating to do so. Sonic with a 1.8 Turbo sounds about right or throw in the bigger engine from the Cruze and make an SS, A Honda CRZ with a 1.6 Turbo or 2.0 from the prior Civic Si would be enough (197hp). No one suggested but a Fiat 500 ABARTH with the 180hp and auto box offered already in Europe . How about a 2 door Toyota Yaris hatch /coupe with a bigger 1.8 or 2.0. What about a Mazdaspeed 2 (2 door hatch) with a 2.0 or Mazdaspeed 3 4 door sedan. a VW POLO or UP (not here yet) with GTI configuration. A Ford Fiesta ST 2 door hatch or Focus ST 2 door hatch . The possibilities are endless but many US offerings are bland and seem aimed at George and Shirley Boring
  • motolustmotolust Member Posts: 1
    Hey Jonathan, kudos on a cool article with some good ideas. However I happen to think a couple of these are actually truly great ideas (relative to my car interests of course)! Firstly the Cayman GT3 RS, or even a GT3 version would be an obvious home run! I know it's not exactly a new idea, but a somewhat reasonably priced mid-engined sports car from Porsche with close to supercar specs (that hasn't been intentionally hamstrung), something like a baby GT3 with better inherent balance even. it's cool if the 911 GT3 is still a bit faster because it will also cost a bit more, but at least give us that choice!

The second great idea is the Tesla R, Musk is a visionary who is already developing a racing program, why not apply some of that R&D investment into a hardcore sports model for the road, his wealthy clientele will eat that up! Plus, like you said - he's not a wuss...hmm maybe Porsche could use some of that, what would you call it, maybe wussiness to the negative power. ;-)

Now all you have to do is have Dan convince Elon and the Porsche board...good luck! Sincerely.
  • daredevil1142daredevil1142 Member Posts: 1
    I'd love to see the V6 Nissan Versa. With the Note coming out it looks like they're actually taking steps in this direction...
  • huybuihuybui Member Posts: 0
    i want a proper Z, a Twin Turbo like the old Z32. wide and low exotic body for the modern times. forget bargain sports car, go for twin world beaters once again like the old days. this Z should be on the level of the GT-R as it once was.