Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Buick Regal GS AWD: Track Tested

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Buick

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    1. So how do these numbers compare to the prior test? Are they better? Worse?

2. The engine setup has no impact on where the power is directed, that would be the drivetrain's job.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    So, with 259 hp and almost 300 lb-ft of torque, this Buick is somehow still as slow as a 200hp 184 lb-ft Lexus IS250. Not very impressive.
  • alsasalsas Member Posts: 7
    Numbers from the test of the previous Model would be good to post here for comparison sake.
  • ba27ba27 Member Posts: 7
    Wow - Where is all the power going??

My old 2004 Audi A6 2.7T S-line weighed the same as this Regal, was rated at about the same power (250) but LESS torque (258), ran a 5 speed auto vs. the Regal's 6 speed, and yet it was MUCH quicker and faster. (0-60 in 6.4, 1/4 in 14.8 @ 96).

Methinks GM is fibbing about the power this engine makes...
  • ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    Here's a few cars according to Edmunds that will put the 2014 Buick GS AWD to pasture:
    2014 Volkswagen Jetta SE (God that would be embarrassing)
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT
    2013 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
    2014 Volkswagen Beetle GSR
    2013 Ford Focus ST (God that would be embarrassing)
    2013 Acura ILX
    2012 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL
    2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Lariat SuperCab
    2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE (God that would be embarrassing)
    2010 Mazda MX-5 Miata (God that would be embarrassing)
    2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R (God that would be embarrassing)
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    @ne_blackshirts: God only thinks your list that proves you have too much time on my hands is embarrassing.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    test
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Yes, Karen@Edmunds, we can comment here. No, Karen@Edmunds, we still can't comment on the long term posts...for like 4 days now. Fix it.
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    Embarassing acceleration for a performance oriented model costing nearly $40K. A run of the mill Accord Sport 6MT or '14 Mazda 3 2.5 will go door to door and those are just ordinary people movers.

A lot of style, but short on the substance here.
  • ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    @patinthecity: sorry you must be a Buick GS owner. Don't worry my Great Grandmother just bought a new Buick GS and she shares the same stop light blues.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    So ya didn't answer your own question- does AWD make up for less power? By the way, your "sense" that the power is being "managed" on takeoff? Its called turbo lag.
  • cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30
    wow doesn't your average V6 accord or camry smoke this turd? and get better gas mileage? for 10k less?
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    no video?
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    the AWD combined with the auto tranny makes this a boat ancor i would much rather get the FWD manual and be faster and nimbler
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    The numbers and stats are abismal, and yet I still lust after this car. I've never driven this thing, but I've seen it around town and sat in it at the car shows, and it outsexies just about everything on the road, including the Maseratis.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    40 grand and not very good styling. As a bonus you get to see a 22k Honda Accord sport pull away from you at stoplights.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    The numbers and stats are abismal, and yet I still lust after this car. I've never driven this thing, but I've seen it around town and sat in it at the car shows, and it outsexies just about everything on the road, including the Maseratis.
    ++++++++++++

Wow, opinions sure vary. I find this car very awkward looking, small and narrow. It looks like the Saturn Aura, which is pretty much is.
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    I, too find this car attractive, though it doesn't outsexy much. It's a good, solid interior; at least the one I sat it and drove its first model year here. I understand their made in NA now, so I'm sure something will suffer. As for the price, typical GM. It's been a turd company for 30+ years, took the tax payer's bail out, and overcharges for a 4-cylinder Opel. 40k for an Opel? If I ever buy a GM product, it may be this, but I doubt it. I refuse to float rip-off companies.
  • john1168john1168 Member Posts: 10
    There is ssooooo much I don't understand with this car. I wanted to buy it. REALLY I did! It looks great inside and out! It's got a great new engine and a decent transmission. It has 295 lb/ft of torque!!! It has a fantastic all wheel drive system. I do realize it's 200 lbs heavier than the fwd version but it has more traction to better use the big torque of this engine and it's ssooo much slower!!! WTF???If I did mods to this engine to give it 70 more hp and tq, then it would JUST go as quick as the accords, sonata turbos, etc etc. So, what does Buick do? I get the impression that if this Regal GS lost 200 pounds, kept the Haldex AWD, had an engine that had 300 hp AND tq and had an 8 or 9 speed auto with good final gearing then it MIGHT go 0 - 60 in..... 6 seconds??? I just don't get it! This car has a lot of great stuff in it but all of it combined? Although it handles and drives very well, it just doesn't go quickly..... I'm sorry but for a car, a NICE car, that costs $45k... I expected more...
    Car and Driver got the AWD GS to go 0 - 60 in 6.2. Sounds good but I wonder what they did to get it to go that fast. I wonder if the Edmunds track has one to two thousands feet of elevation and high temperatures to deal with???
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    I noticed the same thing - 0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds for the GS AWD by Car and Driver. This number seems more reasonable. Readers have commented periodically that Edmunds test acceleration numbers are typically slower than those of other sites and magazines. Also, I have read comments here that the Regal GS is too expensive. I think that it is as expensive as you choose to make it. Buick is a premium brand and the Regal GS is not competing with Accords and Camrys. It is intended to compete against cars like the Acura TL and Audi A4. The smaller Verano squares off against the ILX and A3. If you can resist the options and packages and keep the price under or close to 40 K, this is a competitive car. A TL SH-AWD or A4 with generous options and packages is not cheap.
  • gmcbobgmcbob Member Posts: 27
    I think for this kind of money and I was shopping GM I'd go with the ATS or the new Chevy SS.

I will say though, in defense of this car posting a relatively slow 0-60 time would be that I always notice Edmunds tests seem to have slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile results for a lot of cars compared to other auto rags.

This 2014 Regal was just tested over at C&D and they turned a much quicker result (full second quicker 0-60). See here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-buick-regal-turbo-awd-gs-awd-test-review
    Does anyone at Edmunds read these comments? I have a question. Car and Driver said that they tested two Regal GS' because the first one had big time engine failure. Something to do with the bearings. When Edmunds did their road test, did they test the car that had the engine failure? Edmunds said that they thought the engine power was being held back in the beginning of their runs and I'm wondering if that was a first symptom of engine failure. I've read in the past that sometimes car reviewers test the same car. That's why I ask.
  • macduachmacduach Member Posts: 2
    Not sure why ne.blackshits 12/11/13 said that the 014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT 2013 among others would put the GS 'out to pasture'. On what basis? Amount of manure that could be carried out to the south 40?
  • macduachmacduach Member Posts: 2
    Not sure why ne.blackshits 12/11/13 said that the 014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT 2013 among others would put the GS 'out to pasture'. On what basis? Amount of manure that could be carried out to the south 40?
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    Motor Trend had a 6.2 sec run to 60 for this car.