Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 SLP Panther Camaro Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 SLP Panther Camaro Long-Term Road Test

On a weekend canyon run in our 2014 SLP Panther Camaro, I met Jay Leno when he parked behind me in his twin-turbo V12 Tank Car.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    in the company of the delorean and leno's tank car, the camaro seems so meh.
  • bryan__tbryan__t Member Posts: 23
    I saw Leno driving around in his Countach a few years ago. Even though the car has some of the stingiest side-windows imaginable, Leno's hair and chin were visible from miles away.
  • subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    For those who have Gran Turismo 5 or Gran Turismo 6, you can virtually drive Jay's Tank Car.
  • marmotkingmarmotking Member Posts: 42
    Apparently the 800 hp figure is pre-turbocharging and EFI. According to Wikipedia: "Recently, the engine has been upgraded with fuel injection and twin turbochargers from Gale Banks and his company, Gale Banks Engineering, estimated to produce 1,600 hp (1,200 kW) and 3,000 lbf·ft (4,100 N·m) of torque."

No citations in the article, but a video on Gale Banks Engineering site shows Jay Leno giving the power as 1600hp. Also Mr. Banks gives some details on the EFI install. Also on the same page is a video of the car on a dyno. All very interesting, but I doubt the drive tires would stand up to full application of power with more resistance than the weight of the car, so a tug-of-war is probably contraindicated.

Though the AV1790 is a Continental design, Banks' site says this particular example was built by Chrysler. So any pulling contest would boil down to Chevy vs. Mopar.
  • marmotkingmarmotking Member Posts: 42
    Incredible disappearing paragraph breaks...
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Awesome. Leno is at the top of my list of car-guys-I'd-like-to-talk-to.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Very cool to know about the Banks connection. My Father-in-law knows him and his shop is a few miles from where I live. He gave us a tour once. Very cool guy and very interesting projects. Wouldn't mind working there when I'm done with school.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Leno giving the SLP props is a big deal seeing he can have, and has, anything out there.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Great name-drop orgy, Scott Oldham-class.