Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sitting Tight: A Car Seat Overview

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in General

imageSitting Tight: A Car Seat Overview

Convertible seats will take a child from infancy through the toddler years. | March 18, 2010 | General Motors Corporation

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    avg_consumeravg_consumer Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone or the author site the study alluded to in the article.

"A study by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) showed that children under 13 are up to 36-percent less likely to die if they are seated in the rear seat."

I would like to read the study.
    First off I don't believe it.
    Did they compare a child without a seatbelt in the front seat against a child with a seatbelt in the back?

Secondly my car does not have a passenger air bag. Was the study done with older model cars?

Is there a concluding reason why the back seat is so much more safe than the front seat?

Are children in the back seat actually hitting the seat infront of them? In other words is the shoulder harness ineffective?

Did they include side impact collisions? Rear collisions?

On the surface this study sounds astounding but there is a fair amount of information missing. I can imaging squeezing statistics out like if you have one eye closed, standing on one leg when the moon is full.

I would like to know how they came up with 36% and come up with suggestions to the car companies to reduce that number.