Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long Term Test of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette and comments on its rev-matched downshifts.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    330i_zhp330i_zhp Member Posts: 55
    That's disappointing to read. Hopefully something a simple software update can address down the road.
  • Options
    nukedetroitnukedetroit Member Posts: 108
    Fail. Like all of GM. Didn't we kill this company already?
  • Options
    scottyscooterscottyscooter Member Posts: 8
    At least its a "free" feature that comes standard on all manual Corvettes. Still, its disappointing that Nissan set the standard with the 370z and GM failed to produce an equally effective system.

Hopefully the system can be improved in the future with a software flash, as stated by 330i_zhp.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Any chance the laggy behaviour is due to emissions controls?
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    More importantly, are the pedals properly placed for heel toe shifting?
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    How hard is it to get used to trusting the system? I think for a while I would still instinctively blip the throttle myself on downshifts, just out of habit. Just thinking about downshifting without a rev match just seems weird to me.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Irony, yes. Don't need to for leisurely driving. Maybe they have a software update that can fix that
  • Options
    vlad_x35vlad_x35 Member Posts: 2
    The rev-matching feature is better suited for amateurs to manuals driving the car casually, or for traffic.

If you wanna drive fast or track the car and think of yourself as a pro, you either man up and learn to heel-toe, or you get the automatic. End of story.

The C7 destroyed the performance car market. The Z06 will s**t all over it, and the ZR1 will flush it down the toilet.
    Stop blasting the car for the tiniest of details, like your stupid '10 things to modify list'.
  • Options
    c5thunderc5thunder Member Posts: 0
    I think its an engine design trait. My experience has been that GM small blocks don't rev as freely as OHC motors. There simply isn't enough time to rev up from when the shifter indicates which gear you want. It could also be bc a V6 has less cylinders to rev up.
  • Options
    "Stop blasting the car for the tiniest of details". Then why are you reading long term evaluations of vehicles, isn't that the point of these tests? Are you saying that a potential owner looking to drop $60K on a car doesn't have the right to know of, or observe the tiniest of details?
  • Options
    vlad_x35vlad_x35 Member Posts: 2
    @ duck87

'Are you saying that a potential owner looking to drop $60K on a car doesn't have the right to know of, or observe the tiniest of details?'
    Because things such as the Corvette having 4 exhausts is too much, or that the engine Start button is
  • Options
    goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    If you set the car to Track Mode, will it still take the same amount of time to rev-match or will it be faster?
  • Options
    mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    So, can we assume you CAN make downshifts as fast as you like by heel-toeing the old fashioned way?
  • Options
    @vlad_x35: I'm glad that you're the ultimate, go-to authority on what Corvette owners should and should not know.
  • Options
    majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    Sorry vlad but Nissan apparently nailed this system with the 370Z so why couldn't Chevy? Seems like more than just a tiny detail to me. Just because the car is amazing doesn't mean we shouldn't expect features to work properly.