Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds long-term update of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray with discussion of a gratuitous gauge.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tubybntztubybntz Member Posts: 11
    Nice
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    I agree with JJ.
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    I also find the gauge to be "too busy" with the way it shows the information.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Engine hours would be a more useful data point too.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    It is a nice bit of data but with it not being a common measurement on cars it may not be that useful. But when shopping one used Corvette against another you could at least tell if the low mileage car spent 4 hours a day idling along in traffic to go 20 miles or if they did like some people at work and spent their lunch hour in the car with it idling with the A/C on every day. At least when compared to other cars with the same readout it might be of some use. I see were the other stats about peak temperatures might be nice but this is at least a step in the useful direction.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    It's not like you're forced to display those...
  • Options
    evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    instead of peak rpm/temp/etc. average would give a second buyer a better understanding of how the car was driven. You can run through a few of the gears a few times on the street and hit the same peak rpm you could have compared to the car with 10k miles of which 9k are track miles, but the car that's been tracked will obviously have a higher average rpm, i might be much more cautious buying a used vette with a high average RPM versus one with a high peak RPM.
  • Options
    marmotkingmarmotking Member Posts: 42
    Every heavy truck and self-propelled farm implement (tractors, combines, swathers and the like) I've ever operated had an engine hour gauge. Even tractors from the '40's. I think it's a useful metric, even on a car, and as mentioned above you have the option to display something else other than hours.
  • Options
    houtexjimhoutexjim Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure all this data is recorded on the car's computer (probably most modern car computers). The only difference here is that you can display it on the dash. Now if it were permanently on all the time it would be annoying, but let's face it you had to go thru a bunch of menus to get that on the screen so if it bothers you, then don't do that.
  • Options
    spyderpaspyderpa Member Posts: 3
    @evodad I agree average is much more useful than peak, but in a sense they are giving us the average RPM by giving us the engine hours and total revs: 3642*10000 revs / 396.9 hours / 60 minutes per hour = 1529 RPM average.
  • Options
    kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Max RPM would be nice, but I think the KEY value would be an AVERAGE or MEDIAN value that would exclude idling. If you see a really high value for that, it might be a warning that the car has been tracked and/or raced and/or abused.
  • Options
    flunderflunder Member Posts: 9
    Wondering what that little bubble is to the right of the PARK ((P))