Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Long-Term Road Test

The Z51 package on the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette has a ton of features, but is it worth $4,000 and potentially getting the car later?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    iloveyogapantsiloveyogapants Member Posts: 20
    Despite the wait and $4K I would go for it. If I didn't get it, I'd always wish I had, so therefore its totally worth it for me.

It all depends on his preference. Personally, I love fully loaded vehicles. I'm not one of those guys who would ever have a M3 with halogen headlights... LOL
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    "He's just a regular guy who wants a good-looking sports car with a "big American V8..." " I would bet this describes 98% of Corvette buyers, including me (if I had the income to afford a $50k car). So no, he should not wait the 5 weeks and spend the extra $4k.
  • Options
    yogapants: I don't get your logic. I mean I understand getting tech stuff, but I don't understand spending big money for performance updates that you will never use. Those bigger brakes, pointless, you will never exceed the capacity of the stock brakes. Same thing with the cooling upgrade and the dry sump. You will never spend hours with the engine running near peak RPM's or pulling heavy G's that cause the oil to shift in the pan. The only thing that the performance package offers that I would actually want on my car are the adjustable shocks. It's really stupid that GM forces you to get the performance package to get those, they should be a stand-alone option.
  • Options
    nuievenuieve Member Posts: 43
    I don't go to tracks, nor do I drive on the streets like I'm on a trackj, so I see zero value in any of the items included in the package. I'm sure the car will be 100% as fast and enjoyable stock the way most of us would drive it.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    This is an interesting posting. How many ppl end up buying these weekend-racer options that will never, ever be utilized or even close to it, just to say they have it when they go to the local cruise or tell their buddies about it? Many, I suspect.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    It's a high-performance sports car. I would get it with the package. I would not buy a luxury car without the main luxury package, at least; I would not buy a pickup truck without a towing package, I would not get a minivan without the rear entertainment and HVAC package, etc.
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    When I was a kid with pictures of Corvettes (among other sports cars) all over my bedroom walls, I always thought every bit of performance enhancing kit would be the way I'd want my car. If I were going to autocross it or take it to track days, I would still feel that way. All the stuff you get with the package is a good deal, but for me would be useless. Call it maturity, but if I take an honest look at how I would drive the car in the real world I would get the base suspension. I haven't driven one, so I can't say for sure, but the base car's handling capabilities still probably exceed 95% of the cars on the road today - as well as the bravery threshold of those who buy them. If the base suspension made the car drive like a marshmallow, I would say avoid it. But I have a feeling it's probably still really good, and certainly much faster than most will be willing and able to take it.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I would autoX and/or track this car so there's no way I'd get it without the Z51. Even if I never intended to take it on a track; however, I'd still get it optioned exactly the way I wanted. No point in spending all that $ and not getting what you want.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I had pondered that question before, when I heard they raised the price due to the demand. It seems like a lot for the money, so yes, I would wait. I feel there is also potential added longevity benefits from all the extra cooling, and potential for accident prevention with better stopping.
  • Options
    nbrennan777nbrennan777 Member Posts: 2
    Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Time is not so much a factor - 5 weeks to wait for a car ain't the end of the world. But it seems Z51 is track-oriented, and at that point MRC is a must. That's $6K worth saving, IMO. I'd go "base".
  • Options
    @ Bankerdanny Opinions/preferences are a personal thing (just like logic). If I spent that much money on this type of car, I'd certainly pay and wait for the package. Even though I'd probably track the car, The $4K of enhancements would be worth it to
  • Options
    @ Bankerdanny Opinions/preferences are a personal thing (just like logic). If I spent that much money on this type of car, I'd certainly pay and wait for the package. Even though I'd probably track the car, The $4K of enhancements would be worth it to
  • Options
    kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Tough decision. A lot may have to be how long he plans on keeping it as resale value could be a consideration. Of course, once the Z06 comes out, high performance users could gravitate to that, so depending on the ride its possible that the Z51 could be less valuable. I don't think its a $4,000 question, I think its a $5,800 question as if you go with the Z51, you need to get the MSRC.

Could having it (or not) affect reliability? Do the coolers help with everyday driving? What about tires? How long will you get out of those SS ZP tires versus the stock ones? What about replacement cost?

I think the end result is about your personality. If you're the type who will regret it if there isn't a feature you have, then there's no choice - you MUST get it. If you're looking for the best value possible - avoid it.
  • Options
    Yoga: I get that. Personally I just don't see the point of spending money on options that won't make the car more enjoyable to use, even if the additional cost is of no consequence to you.

@Fordson: The Corvette is a high performance sports car in base form with capabilities far in excess of the average driver (and average Corvette buyer I would bet) to use, particularly on the street.
  • Options
    subytrojan_2subytrojan_2 Member Posts: 79
    I'm not so sure most of the staff is driving the car in Touring mode. I think even Sport mode is perfectly fine for LA streets. :)
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    sounds like he should get the base car, auto transmission and an ipod full of REO Speedwagon songs.
  • Options
    bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    GM just released two weeks ago that the Z51 package is doubleing in price starting april of this year. if your friend seriously wants the z51 he needs to be quick about ordering
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I'd buy this car for track days so I'd go for the Z51, but if you're not taking it to the track I definitely wouldn't get the Z51. Save money, enjoy it sooner, and enjoy a more comfortable ride and possibly better fuel economy.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    The problem I see is that the Z51 package is very reasonably priced for all the upgrade it offers.
  • Options
    ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    This isn't really like deciding to stretch for the EX Accord instead of the LX. This a car people buy because they can afford it, it's fast and they because they like nice things. If I were about to spend this kind of money on a passion/ hobby, I'd want the nicest one I can get. $4000 and 5 weeks is not that bad for all of the extras, even if you never need any of them. If not, you're not a real car guy and you're doing it wrong.