Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Chevrolet SS Full Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Chevrolet

image2014 Chevrolet SS Full Test

Edmunds' full test of the 2014 Chevrolet SS includes on-road driving impressions, specs, photos, instrumented test data and more.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• 1krider11krider1 Member Posts: 11
    The lack of a Camaro pricetag and a manual transmission makes the SS a COMPLETE FAILURE.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Okay, I actually really like the car. A couple of things really bothered me in the article though. "But so much is different. We've got an aluminum hood and trunk lid…” Wow, HUGE difference! I replaced a quarter of the siding on my house, so much about the house is different now. Please don't insult my intelligence. Next is a tout on a 5% increase in torsional rigidity, not irrelevant, but this will probably be imperceptible to anybody driving, so I'm not sure why the guy is making a point of choosing that over other information to tell us.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Stops, goes, turns! Great write up detailed all the things I wanted to know. I wish I could get one--I missed out on the G8 GT (the GXP was too expensive for me). Now this one is in the GXP category. Braking distance on this 2 ton car is incredible. What a great road trip car this would be!
  • ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    So, like the G8, this car is essentially DOA?

P.S. Please Chevy do something about that gold bowtie. Make it black or blue or gray...I see it and I still think "rental car." And it's your own fault for making pathetic cars for years.
  • boff_boff_ Member Posts: 51
    The USA is missing out on a few more notable things, like universal health care, metric, and the Chevrolet Orlando. These are all things that we Canadians are lucky to have, but we can't have the Chevrolet SS. Can a trade possibly be arranged???
  • 06sti06sti Member Posts: 17
    (sorry in advance for the political remarks below)

Your universal health care is great, boff -- until you get sick. You keep it and we'll keep the SS thanks ;)

I would trade our POTUS for your metric system though...
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    A bit dated to be sure. Not aggressive enough front end (should have gotten the nose from the new impala IMO), maybe a touch bland everywhere else on the exterior. But.. for 45K, is there a better, more capable new car out there? I really like it.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    The US health care system is great--until you can't afford the insurance or get rejected for pre-existing conditions, or get your [non-permissible content removed] bankrupted for having the nerve to come down with a serious illness. Ain't no system perfect ;) About that beautiful SS, though. Marvelous looking car inside and out and I want one. But is anyone really surprised that this won't do well in the American market? Sedans under $30K are golden. Anything over that had better be a CUV/SUV/pickup if it is going to sell volume. Or wearing a more prestigious badge so you can look good during your 3-year lease. There just isn't much demand or room in most budgets for a $44K family sedan that drinks fuel like an F150. Sedan shoppers with $44K are more likely to appreciate a BMW or Audi badge than a 4-door Corvette whose capabilities would be lost on them. That's a bummer, but probably reality. I don't see many Charger R/T Hemis at $33K, don't expect to see half as many SSs.
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    I really like it, a lot. But, that price is just about $10k too much. Seriously, they couldn't have trimmed it back maybe $5k just to keep it in the $30's? Hard to justify an SS when you can get a slightly used M5 for about the same price. And, I agree about that gold bowtie; black, black chrome, or some other subdued color would look much better. Not sure my wife could get over the stigma of the years and years of crappy GM products and seriously consider us getting one (it is half hers).

Regarding healthcare: When has it *EVER* been a good idea to have more government involvement in anything, and when has it *EVER* made anything better? Why not a pool of uninsurable people that insurance companies are required to insure based on the number of people in the pool and the number of regular customers they have? Let govt monitor the pool and make sure all of the companies are doing what they should, which is about the only thing that govt does remotely well.
  • joefrompajoefrompa Member Posts: 64
    Surprised the acceleration and gas mileage isn't better. 415hp out of a 6.2 liter and only a 13.2 quarter mile? My 13 year old M5 does a hair better with a 4.9 liter v8 putting out 394hp.

And the fuel economy - GM's v8's have always gotten very nice highway mileage but it's not happening here. Not sure why. And again, it matches my 13 year old BMW engine.

That all being said, I pray this vehicle makes it to the U.S. -
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    "A Promise Fulfilled" - Wasn't it GM manager Bob Lutz who stated that the Pontiac G8 was too good to be killed off? He stated that the G8 would return under a different name. Respect to GM for following through. The styling, price point and prestige (when compared to the imports) are debatable, but I think that this is a beautifully executed car. Import luxury sport sedans of similar power, performance, roominess and features are easily $10K more (if you are a "status worshiper", this car is not for you). My only other observation is this - Perhaps a lesser version of this car could be offered with the GM 5.3 liter V-8. This smaller engine might contribute to slightly better fuel economy, lower curb weight and a lower price point. The new LT1 V-8 (C7 Stingray) represents some of GM's latest and greatest and might drive the price of the SS significantly higher. Once again, great car.
  • vroom2vroom2 Member Posts: 3
    I just love the forum talk on this car. After wailing about how GM and Ford weren't bringing their old school RWD sedans over from Australia they immediately criticize them when they do.

As for 1krider1, so GM gives you a full size LS3 powered RWD sedan with a Cadillac quality interior for half the price of the German makers and you complain about the price? That type of quality and performance has never been the price of a college car like the Camaro and never will - no matter what badge it wears.
    As joefrompa said, I am a bit surprised at the low gas mileage figures; my LS1 '99 C5 with a 6 spd got ~30 mpg on the highway, and most of the newer GM engines (LS-based) usually get decent numbers comparatively speaking.

Oh, and glad they upped the interior quality lately, that has always been one of my main GM issues but these new ones look pretty good.
  • grc82_grc82_ Member Posts: 5
    As one of the few guys on this fourm that owns and drives a G8 GT every day for the last 4 years I can't imagine why anyone would drop 45-50K on one of these cars. I love my car but there are better cars out there for 50 large, especially if you are willing to buy something with 10-15K miles on it thats hardly used (which is how I bought the G8). Just to throw out a few ideas the ATS-V will be better and likely come in at ~50K, and I would guess that even the redisgned Genesis with AWD and the 5.0L V8 would be a better overall car than this with the drivetain advatange and additional features like the lexicon stereo, and additional warranty that chevy doesn't offer. I love my G8, plan to drive it for many more years but its not a worth that kind of money even with the updated interior and 6.2L engine. I will also keep my Canadian health care for all of you jokers that want to trade the SS for it. My dad had bypass surgery and a hip replacement in the last two years and didn't pay a penny.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Interesting that "this doesn't feel like a sedan tuned for American roads". Australian interior weather and roads are similar to SW America, so Calif, Texas, etc. should be OK for SS. Perhaps Edmunds should buy SS for a long term test and see how it fares on road trips to NW, USA etc?
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    This would be a good candidate for a collector's car in a few decades.
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    GM didn't use the LT1 engine or 8 spd because it wasn't cost effective? Seriously! GM you should have let the bean counters determine a limited model release, because this car is good, but could have been great.
  • 4wpeelin4wpeelin Member Posts: 4
    Canada's health care is so great, the Canadian Prime Minister had a cardiac operation in the United States. Hmmm........
  • coolb944coolb944 Member Posts: 0
    I really like this car, and was impressed with it when I sat in one at the LA Auto Show. The only thing I would change, is to make some of that equipment it comes with standard as optional.

I personally would buy this car, and just not option it with the lane departure warning, park assist, etc. I don't want that stuff. It adds complexity and cost to the vehicle, when I'm perfectly happy just being a vigilant driver and parallel parking myself.
    LOL, and trust me, your dad paid, or you did, or your neighbor, or whoever, but *someone* paid. Ain't nothin' free in this world, not even ObamaCare; or should that be, ESPECIALLY ObamaCare.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    Wow, Chevy has a lot of cars. I don't really see a mandate for this one. Did anybody buy it as a Pontiac? The media loves RWD sports cars, but how many do buyers really want? I'm sure its nice, but hey, I liked the last GTO which was a flop.
    In Canada we accept that everyone pays taxes that support the health care system for everyone. It's not perfect but works well most of the time for most people. As for Canadians getting operations in the US this happens from time to time when beds or specialty surgeries aren't availble due to demand or some other factor. That being said we have longer life expectancy, a fraction of the infant mortality, and more healty living years on average than the US so no rationally thinking Canadian would ever trade our system for yours. This is also true for health care outcomes in pretty much every european country.
    Sorry, but your facts are off grc82. Great that you like your socialized HC, good for you. America is different, and I would never want your system. Oh, and most of those european countries are bordering on bankruptcy.

To wit:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes/2011/12/19/the-ugly-realities-of-socialized-medicine-are-not-going-away-3/
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    The problem with the SS is that the Impala looks much better.
    Performance isn't enough.

All the German sedans look better. The Chrysler/Dodge twins look better.
  • stonehammerstonehammer Member Posts: 5
    its like deja vu all over again
    markinnaples - America is different. They pay 3X more for all healthcare related services and have lower life expectancy and worse healthcare outcomes than any other G8 nation. That's a fact, but I am sure you will find some tea bagger magainze that will dispute it. Your comment on european bankruptcy is also funny considering the USA is printing trillions of dollars every year and most of the debt is owned by the Chinese.
  • joe_scubajoe_scuba Member Posts: 2
    This is another effort by GM to bring an Aussie car to the US and sell it and an American Icon, Remember the GTO, and the G8 even the Camaro is made in Canada.
    How about GM builds an American (US) Icon in the USA what a novel comcept
  • maxx18maxx18 Member Posts: 7
    The gas guzzler tax is the perplexing part of this car. Not only is GM not offering a decontented version of the car, but they are saddling consumers with the cost of not using the more modern DI LS motor available in other GM models. Why?

I'm sorry, but no matter how good the car is, this thing looks like a loser out of the gate. Good thing they have fleet sales!
  • insidelinerinsideliner Member Posts: 0
    @06sti

Except Canadians, don't have to wait until they get reall sick to see a doctor.
    @preventivemedicine
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Wait a couple of years and buy a used one CHEAP!
  • scottnsc2scottnsc2 Member Posts: 29
    Recently sat in one of these at the auto show. The windows were down and each time the door was opened or closed the window rattled badly inside the door. Doesn't bode well for initial build quality. I'll take my CTS in red, thanks.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    There are a ton of outlets for political outlets. I hope this one doesn't become polluted with it. Killing Inside Line put this thing on the ropes. I can't think of a more effective way to kill it.

This is a nice car with unfortunately a very mundane design. An ATS-V is a better car, but it's so much smaller it's hard to see how that comparison makes much sense. All kind of strange comparisons can be made with used vehicles, what other NEW car in the same category is a better buy?
  • aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    I've read a thousand times that the reason I can't buy car x, y, z is because it's too expensive to jump through the hoops of bringing a car to market when it'll only sell a couple thousand units.

Now GM comes along with this in exactly one niche trim that'll sell all of 2,000 cars a year.

Where's the profit in such a low volume? When 3000-5000% higher volume is no further away than more affordable trim levels.

I realize they'd rather sell an Impala instead but what they're actually selling is another Charger.
  • ralphhightowerralphhightower Member Posts: 11
    And UTEs! Bring back the El Camino! I love that model. My third car as a teen was a 66. Later, I bought a 78 and a 65.
  • thekingofvtecthekingofvtec Member Posts: 6
    I just want to slap the guy that keeps thinking its okay to put those ugly [non-permissible content removed] corporate steering wheels on EVERY car. Create a wheel special to this car, like most automakers do when they make something new and different!
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I like the pace and space of this car, but the front end looks like it was designed by two committees, neither of which would give way. "Uninspired" would be the polite description.
  • gtrguy2012_gtrguy2012_ Member Posts: 11
    Please tell me where I can get a used F10 M5 for 50K. Please tell me. Also this car is a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. It just came out and already the design looks dated. Slower than a camaro while weighing more and no manual? My S4 would destroy this thing in every category.
    grc, this is my last political post, as I see from your tea bagger comment that you're not interested in respectable discourse. I didn't realize that Forbes was a "tea bagger" resource, huh.

You were right about the life exp: Canada is 82, and the US is 79. I wonder how many young soldiers dying trying to keep democracy safe in the world drag that age down? I'll have to research. Also, the Canadian taxes are an issue as well, from the "tea bagger" bastion, CBS News: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/canadas-favorite-tax-haven-the-usa/

Anyway, we have more than enough Canadians in FL, so feel free to stay there and enjoy your gubmint cheese, oops, healthcare.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @thekingofvtec: The Camaro had a bespoke steering wheel and it was awful. It was dumped for the standard Chevy wheel, and it was much improved. Once you have a design that is ergonomic, there is no need to literally reinvent the wheel for every new car.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    Looks like a Malibu, not super fast, pass.
    LOL, and trust me, your dad paid, or you did, or your neighbor, or whoever, but *someone* paid. Ain't nothin' free in this world, not even ObamaCare; or should that be, ESPECIALLY ObamaCare.

It has been ROmneycare in my state for years. You remember Mittens rights? That draft dodging dbag that was the best the retardlicunts had to offer!
    Recently sat in one of these at the auto show. The windows were down and each time the door was opened or closed the window rattled badly inside the door. Doesn't bode well for initial build quality. I'll take my CTS in red, thanks.

++++++++++++++++

Great plan, don't buy an Sbox GM, get a different Sbox GM!
  • kingfish4kingfish4 Member Posts: 3
    As the owner of a G8GT, there are certain aspects of the car that I like, such as the upgraded seats and dash, and there are certain aspects I hate, such as blind spot warning, which causes my radar detector to go off, and the front end styling. I don't, however, see the $18K price difference over my G8GT that they are asking for this car.
    I saw my first one at a dealer a couple of days ago. I was surprised that it looked "smaller" than I expected. I imagined it would look more porky but it looks great--except for the cheap black plastic on the lower rear bumper. I saw a black one at another dealer, and that looked better--probably the best color.
  • jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    OMG stop talking about health care. There should be ONE place on the web to escape that topic!
    @kingfish4 the SS is closer to the G8 GXP than the G8 GT, and with more content. Forged wheels are probably pretty expensive (just one difference other than motor). But I agree that the G8 GT trim was a relative bargain, and the Sport option was a good
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    This is Chevrolet's best sedan ever. I'm amused at the sniping people used to cloth-seated Camaros and Cruze's do at it.

Space, comfort, content, power, handling, steering feel, safety, what exactly do you think you need a manual for with 415hp in real world driving? You think this thing bogs down in any gear on your daily grocery run or commute?

If they sell 3,000 a year, that means they'd sell 300 manuals. It's not even a rounding error.
  • chugcatsts01chugcatsts01 Member Posts: 4
    G M is selling record numbers of cars, this is another example. You will never convince the import buyers because they are brainwashed on imports. I live in a small waterfront condominium and two of the residents are from Germany. They sold their BMW [I helped them because the language barrier] and they were happy to see it go. Dealership labor prices was their major complaint. $2k for a brake job, the second in 60,000 miles. The are happy with their 2009 CTS that they bought at the local Cadillac dealership here in Port Richey, FL.
  • dcnbluesdcnblues Member Posts: 1
    A manual stick would make this near-perfect. Not a fan of auto transmissions, even ones with paddle shifting. I'm told by the Chevy sales reps I've talked to that a manual might be offered on the 2015 model. Maybe. We'll see.

As for the "Camaro" price point... hey, if it can spank an M5 on a country backroad (not just a light-to-light straight line, which is what Top Gear thinks we 'Muricans all regard as 'racing'), $45K is a steal. I may just get one to show up my BMW-addicted coworker, who dropped nearly twice that on his car.