Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

It felt like the Dart was running out of gas. There was no response to my throttle inputs and the car was losing speed.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    Hooray for Dodge/Fiat quality!

Never. Again.
  • nukedetroitnukedetroit Member Posts: 108
    What have I been saying all this time? This. Car. Is. [non-permissible content removed]!
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    This reminds me. I just love the idea of electric only steering (not the electronic assist but the only electric kind)
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    oh, and seriously, with all the fancy screens in cars anymore why, oh why is it that they still use only obscure dash lights to tell you things. How about accompanying the dash light with a nice readout on the multifunction display saying "throttle malfunction" --- and no error codes stored in the car after that? I'd take it to the dealer rather than work after it pulled that one.
  • bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24
    "our sensors had done broke as they say in NASCAR."

thats funny? hope it gets stuck wide open throttle next time.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Yikes! There have been countless innovations in every area of the auto industry. Safety has enjoyed a huge increase in just the last 20 years, with ABS/Airbags/Traction Control/chassis design you name it.
    But, some things needn't be made complicated to make them better.
    There are plenty of vehicles on the road that use the drive-by-wire systems and with great success. (My Honda uses it.)
    The old cable systems did the heavy lifting for a long time. I bet the cat behind the wheel was wishing for some old tech about the time he reached the parking lot.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    scary. instead of the CEL they must have anticipated this happening often enough to have its own light
    I disagreed with @nukedetroit in a previous post--now I want to take it back and agree with him. It may or not be first year jitters but this car falls apart frequently. Freaking Italian Auto Turd (FIAT)
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    @nukedetroit: What I wonder is why, since you made up your mind about every car from an entire region, past, present, and future, at the moment you registered your screen name, do you waste your time reading about things you don't like? You learn nothing
  • pezzy669pezzy669 Member Posts: 4
    Wow I wanted to like Dodge/Chrysler when they began their entire product revamp/refresh. The Dart has fallen flat on its face and their lineup quality has not seemed to improve much.

Seems to be they are back to their innovative and stylish 90's days. You know the mid-late 90's Chrysler. Innovative features, stylish package which you may be lucky to break 100k miles without major engine, transmission and/or suspension work.

Experience - '96 Grand Voyager (family car) and '99 Neon.
  • nukedetroitnukedetroit Member Posts: 108
    So, what, stovt? You can only attack me, since the car is completely indefensible? Have a tissue.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The only place I would be driving it would be the dealership to get the codes read. I can just about put up with an ignition off reset for the ICE or a Bluetooth system, but for the motor, hell no.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    I have dealt with broken throttle cables before and its down right terrifying in Kansas City afternoon traffic. (Imagine near LA levels of traffic all going 55-70 mph)

At least with a cable might be able to fix it yourself with a pair of pliers or a multi-tool. Get this to the dealer ASAP!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    If this was my vehicle I'd be visiting a dealer before my car killed me.
  • camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    Wish unionbuster was here to comment.
    ahh, this is more like the old days on Insideline. At least the blog is generating traffic
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I love my 09 Sedona, but it just suffered this same fate (but no dedicated TPS light). The out-of-warranty repair cost $800+, which included replacement of the throttle body & position sensor, and reflash of the ECU. But my van is otherwise quite reliable. :)

This tale should settle any doubts about the Dart - yuk.
  • carlitobenitocarlitobenito Member Posts: 1
    Has the recall been performed? There is a recall for this particular issue.