Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Two speedometers in our long-term 2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I hate the gauges on the Dart. This feature shouldn't be hard to get right, but Dodge chose the Tron route rather than the Volvo route (just look at the gauges on an S60). They're so bad, it would be enough to make me not buy the car.
  • Options
    juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    Porsche has a similarly problematic speedo. The usable 0-85 speed range is smushed down at the bottom left. I know having a speedo go to 180 looks cool, but most of us will never take it past 100. Not having a digital dial on a Cayenne in a city would make it impossible to read the speed.
  • Options
    nukedetroitnukedetroit Member Posts: 108
    Many, many, many reasons not to buy a Dart, gslippy. The speedo is merely one of the most readily apparent.
  • Options
    hank39hank39 Member Posts: 144
    I don't get why certain recent cars (eg. FR-S, BRZ) have two speedometers. I would opt to look at the digital one before the dial as a personal preference and use the space from the dial for some other helpful info. This one from the Dart is horrendous.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    @nukedetroit - I know; I've test-driven two of them (1.4-M, 2.0-A), plus followed this blog. I wanted to like this car, but it's all kinds of letdown. The automatic transmission is nice, but it's made by Hyundai.
  • Options
    awddreaminawddreamin Member Posts: 7
    Dodge gauges in general are hard to read. I love having 2 speedos. I used to configure the 350z to show MPH in digital format on the programmable digital gauge atop the dash. Much easier to read than the analog speedo on the right side of the gauge cluster.
  • Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    I used to hate the secondary digital speedometer. I think it reminded me of the 80s when the digital was the only speedometer in many cars. Now I have to say it's the one I use most of the time, and my VWs have fairly legible gauges. Just too quick and easy a reference, particularly in traffic.
  • Options
    cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54
    I generally like the Dart but not a fan of the gauges.
  • Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    Also as you get older and need reading glasses, for some people a much bigger, digital gauge can be nice and easier to read with a quick glance without then. Its software and you can always change the display to show other data, so why not put it in the car? Although they can be a little more polarizing, what I'd like to see is more vehicle offered with option head up displays for the digital readout and bigger, conventional analog gauges rather than trying to cram a big multi-function LCD screen in the dash at the expense of the speedo and tach.