Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Dodge

image2013 Dodge Dart SXT Rallye Long-Term Road Test

The satellite radio in our 2012 Dodge Dart went silent more than eight times this morning during a one-hour drive.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    This time of year and also in September the Sun lines up with the geostationary satellites. This can cause problems with the links. Most satellites for sat radio are in different orbits BUT they may be using the geostationary birds as relays.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    @agentorange: Your theory cannot be right. Geostationary satellites are stationary at 23000 miles above a certain point on the earth, which means they move in concert with the earth. So the sun is not 'lined up' with a geostationary satellite and the ea
  • subiefanil83_subiefanil83_ Member Posts: 3
    It could come down which Sat system(XM, Sirius) equipment is being used. Bot my friend and I have Sat Radio in our cars. Mine is an XM system and his is a Sirius system. There is a fairly long bridge we sometimes travel under. He almost always has a signal drop out going under it, but I never have.
  • mitchbogmitchbog Member Posts: 1
    If you have been driving the same vehicle down the same route it could have been a broadcast not a vehicle issue. Sirius can have outages from time to time. They do not use geo synchronous satellites so pending on where you were and time of day you could have had no sat coverage. If you could provide more detail (Time and location) It is possible to check.
  • dby2012dby2012 Member Posts: 19
    Sirius also uses terrestrial signals in large cities. Those are used so you can get signals in parking garages and cities with large buildings that may block the satellite signlas. The terrestrial signals go down quite a bit in my area from time to time (NE Ohio). It sounds exactly what is happening with the Edmund's post. The terrestrial signal is down and the radio is struggling to get the satellite signal.