Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Some people tell you to keep driving when your low-fuel light comes on. This definitely applies to our Long-Term 2013 Ford Focus ST.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    My Mustang's light comes on @ 50 miles to empty (MTE). The MTE calculation appears to be based on a windowed average MPG, so the light will come on with 3+ gallons left when I've been autocrossing recently, but < 2 when I've been on the highway. Was your recent mileage poor for any reason?
  • usa1fan_usa1fan_ Member Posts: 19
    This is a common complaint with the new Escapes too. We supposedly have 15+ gallon tanks, but most have the low fuel indication appear somewhere after between 10 and 11 gallons have been spent.
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    If the fuel tank officially hold 12.5 gallons how much does it hold if you fill the tank including the filler tube to the point that fuel becomes visible at the filler tube opening?
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    maybe the float is not correct or there is a tsb to have this reset? i would call the dealer.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Is there no DTE readout?
  • flybigrcflybigrc Member Posts: 8
    That's odd? My Focus ST's low fuel light come on on may way home from work, I drove about 15 more miles and put in 10.625 gallons.

I have been getting right at 27 MPG using 87 octane with about 80% highway with the cruise control set to 72 mph.
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    The light in my Outback usually pops on when there's between 4-5 gallons left. It's quite annoying.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I don't pay much attention to the low fuel light in my ST3 since I figure it's overly conservative. However, the "miles to empty" readout seems to be inconsistent. One time I stopped to fill up when it told me only around 10 miles left until empty, but the tank only took ~10.5 gal. Another time, when I let it go to 0 miles to empty it took slightly over 12 gal. It seems that the "miles to empty" is inconsistent, but I need to watch it more closely before complaining to the dealer.
  • wyattfwyattf Member Posts: 11
    The fuel light is definitely conservative, but yours (edmunds.com) seems excessively so. I usually get the light when I've used 9.5-10.5 gallons (I average 23.5-25mpg generally), which is still conservative, but that's a good thing for both me and the car. Fuel starvation might be a risk while hooning the ST around on a low tank, and I certainly don't want another rant from my wife for running out of fuel again. :/