Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Read daily updates on our long-term road test of the 2013 Ford Focus ST and follow along as our editors live with this car for a year.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    just tell him to get the mustang he wants. everyone always goes out to buy a car and then ends up purchasing a completely different car because they talk themselves out of it. 1 month to 1 year later they are completely in remorse and wish they got the car they really wanted.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    just tell him to get the mustang he wants. everyone always goes out to buy a car and then ends up purchasing a completely different car because they talk themselves out of it. 1 month to 1 year later they are completely in remorse and wish they got the car they really wanted.
  • opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    comment check.

you guys really f'd this up.
  • opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    comment check.

you guys really f'd this up.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Given the choice between a V8 Mustang and the Focus ST, I'd choose the Mustang every time. But a new V6 Mustang is more in line with the price of an ST, with more power and (subjectively) better looks, but less versatility and (probably?) poorer handling. So, if it was your $25,000, what would you choose and why?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I don't get this whole mindset that if you have a family, then every vehicle you own must be "practical" above all other concerns. I have a family, and I still drive a Miata that I love. We have our Taurus wagon for the practical stuff. I can see if you only have one car then sure, go for a hatch, but otherwise you don't have to act like life ends when you have a kid. It just gets more interesting.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I agree with stovt001 on that, but I also don't get why the car you get has to meet some kind of subjective coolness factor - this friend of yours is doubtful that the ST is as cool as a Mustang and that's giving him pause? Sounds like a young guy who is still overly sensitive to the opinions of the crowd.
  • ed124ced124c Member Posts: 0
    I want something a bit more docile than the V8 Mustang. I have driven my nephew's 2010 V8 Camaro. It is too scary. And at my age (70) I am looking for a car with power but without the scariness. It seems like Ford has taken the scariness out of the Focus ST by adding a lot of gizmos that keep the car on the road. That sounds good to me. On the other hand, I really like the looks of both the Camaro and Mustang. I suppose I could get used to being scared-- like on a rollercoaster.
  • nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    I've tested the Mustang GT and Focus ST on essentially the same roads, and I loved them both. Fun-wise, it's about raw V8 power and RWD dynamics vs. sport compact agility. Both are wonderful drives, but in my urban world (Philadelphia) the agility, practicality, better all-weather capability, and efficiency of the Focus ST would win for a purchase.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I don't know about the Mustang's "dynamics". It's capable of pretty good grip (on the right tires), but by the same token there's no getting around the fact that it's a HUGE car. There's nothing intimate when you're talking about driving feel with these cars, particularly as the Mustang has horrible steering feel and you start losing the rear end if there's a pothole in the middle of the turn.
  • superenchiladasuperenchilada Member Posts: 7
    My special order ST comes in the next couple weeks or so. It will have a bay seat in back.
  • superenchiladasuperenchilada Member Posts: 7
    Baby seat that is. :)
  • cubbybear1cubbybear1 Member Posts: 0
    Meh, I'd still get the Mustang.