Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Sizing up the meager center console space in Edmunds.com's long-term 2013 Ford Focus ST road test.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fizzump04fizzump04 Member Posts: 6
    I miss the days when center consoles could hold some cd's.
  • ed124ced124c Member Posts: 0
    While car-hunting I always open the center console and my first thought is: Will it fit 6 CDs in it? Chalk that up to my being old, and the fact that I really don't like much of the new music. Which means I don't buy a lot of CDs any more. Now where did I put my Styx CD?
  • drredsidrredsi Member Posts: 1
    I have an ST2 and that's exactly where I store My CD's, so yes they do fit there.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I don't like to carry a lot of crap in my car. A carseat and blanket for the little one. A baseball cap, a small box of tissue, and some automotive cleaning wipes share the back seat. A water bottle in the door, spare change in a cupholder, fuel log & pen & sunglasses in the center console. Manual, registration, insurance, a couple charging cables, and a GPS in the glove box. Jumper cables in the trunk. iPass on the windshield, bluetooth on my sun visor. Anything in my pockets stays in my pockets. That's all, beyond what was there when I bought it.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Still, your photo piques my curiosity (curiocity, ed124c?). What is the maximum range you've seen on the ST, with its minuscule tank?
  • zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    sorry... but i chalk this up to "fat american syndrome"...
    how much crap do we really need to carry in our cars?
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I'll grant you that this isn't a huge compartment but Dan, how big are your pockets. This compartment looks big enough to fit as much as I can see reasonably carrying in your pockets...even with cargo pants.
  • ddougyyddougyy Member Posts: 7
    Try the MK6 GTI and then we'll talk. Slot that fits whatever music device you have connected to the MDI, and then a 2 inch wide X 1 inch deep X 4 inch long slot. Mostly because of the handbrake lever. Glovebox makes up for it though.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I am looking at what I have in my pockets...let's see...car key fob, house keys, chapstick, comb, wallet, earbuds for at work, phone...and I'm trying to think WHY I would want to remove any of that from my pockets and place it in the console. Car key? I have keyless. Phone? I have Bluetooth. Wallet? I don't use drive-throughs and I have EZ-Pass for tolls. I'm stumped. I have a MK6 GTI too, and other than the slots in the little rubber coin-holder thingy that I use to hold SD cards for my music, I don't think I've ever put anything in the console.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I'm still trying to get my head around this pocket emptying business. There are certain things like keys that NEVER leave my person.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    That center console looks reasonably sized to me. It seems like there should be enough room for wallet, cellphone, and sunglasses if you stand them up on their narrow ends, next to each other. People who need a significantly bigger console you should buy a bigger car. The width of a compact doesn't leave much room for a center console. I'd rather not see automakers carve out space from the seats to allow a wider storage box-- I like supportive and comfortable side bolsters.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    I find the center console in my ST3 reasonably sized. However, I do miss not having a separate place to put coinage. Instead my ST3 came with this stupid removable coin tray that fits in the center console but has to be removed to get at anything beneath it.
  • superenchiladasuperenchilada Member Posts: 7
    You guys are missing both the rubber inserts for the bottoms of your cup holders. and the rubber tray that is supposed to be in your center console. It makes it a two level affair.

Your dealer did not put them in as part of the dealer prep. Go back and get them!
  • stunthuntstunthunt Member Posts: 5
    The ST3 has center console storage space about 3x that of the ST2. It also has overhead eyeglass storage, and space beneath the drivers seat for possible storage (the ST3 doesn't have that because of the manual seat adjustment mechanism). This is important because the car is definitely lacking in storage space!