Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

The hug-me-tight Recaro seats on our 2013 Ford Focus ST are great. But why can't they be power seats?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• kiotaekiotae Member Posts: 0
    The ST3 package has power seats, so yes, it is an option.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You folks seem unclear on what options you got on this car, and on what you could have gotten. Jaquot thinks this is an ST-3 level car...it's an ST-2. If you had gotten an ST-3, which you guys clearly say in the car's introduction post you considered and then rejected, you would have a power driver's seat. This is just like your LT GTI...you decided against getting nav, then bitched about it not having nav.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I suppose they would argue because they add weight, but I suspect it's so they can stay below a certain price point.

Sadly memory power seats rarely show up at lower price points. It can't add that much extra cost to a car. As someone who shares a car with a person that is a full foot shorter than me, I know that both of us would happily pay a couple extra hundred for memory power seats over regular ones.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    You guys must be seeing something that I don't. I built an ST at the Ford site and power seats are not available on the ST, nor is there an ST3. There is an Equipment Group 202 beyond the ST2 level that adds nav, HID's and heated leather seats. But the seats are still manual.
    202A group adds a power driver's seat. I don't know why is doesn't say the seat is power on the Ford site, but go to some Focus ST fora and take a look. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/2882-st3-vs-st2-seat-questions.html
  • mlavoiemlavoie Member Posts: 8
    Well, I know my ST has a power driver's seat. But then again the options aren't the same here in Canada.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I would think power seats would make the situation worse. Most power seats move very very very slowly so going from one end of seat travel to the other would take forever. With simple manual seat adjustments one pull of the lever and one big movement of the seat forwards or back would be all it would take.
  • vizcarmbvizcarmb Member Posts: 13
    Yeah you are asking for to much, now quit whining
  • homer281homer281 Member Posts: 16
    As others have said, the full leather Recaros in the ST3 package are power and heated.

This is at least the second post regarding the ST with bad info on the cars specs/price/options.

I'll reluctantly volunteer to take the car for a week and write some awesome assessments.
  • homer281homer281 Member Posts: 16
    Memory seats are a good point though. For those of us who swap drivers often of different sizes they are nice, and seating position is oh so important in stick shift cars.

I would much rather have memory seats than start-stop and keyless access controls. It's too bad this hasn't filtered down to more cars the way some features have.
  • xianshepxianshep Member Posts: 5
    I hate power seats because I can adjust everything far quicker manually - so there you go; maybe you are asking too much. (Granted, power seats with MEMORY are pretty cool, but I've never seen that in a sub-$30K car...)
  • blue_genesblue_genes Member Posts: 1
    A powered driver seat is standard on the ST3 package. It does not show on a monroney label but it is there.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Yes, you are. If you owned the car instead being a member of a collective, you would set the seat once and forget about it. The principal competitors don't have power adjustment, and in my experience the multi-adjustable manual seats in my first two Mazdas were easier to get to a precise comfortable position than the power seat in my present one.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    You guys didn't get power seats... and then you [non-permissible content removed] about it not having power seats?

Probably the biggest knock against powered seats are that they are sometimes significantly heavier, and/or have added height/width that can be annoying to yourself and your backseat passengers.
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    So... How many ways are the holy Recaros adjustable in? BackForth, UpDown, Recline, Lumbar, Thigh, Head, Bolster?
    Which of those?
  • jpnpowerjpnpower Member Posts: 0
    Package ST2, ST3, 202, 202A, What The... what happened to REAL package names!? Who thought it was a brilliant idea to say "Lets give the costomers a Ford 202A package instead of a comfort package, just to screw them over!" Is it the new trend to use letter number soup for everything? This is driving me crazy!! What next, a BMW 335xivq with actually a 3L engine, and actually a 5 series, but with some numbers to make you feel good?
    jpnpower, what's the difference what they call it? My GTI has the Autobahn package - a "real package name." Does that tell you what's in it? My SVT Focus is more specific - it has the Cold Weather package. You might guess that gives it heated mirrors, and maybe even that it has heated seats, but I'll bet you wouldn't guess it has a factory-installed block heater - ? You just have to do the research, whatever they call the package. I'm shocked at the information left out by the carmakers' own sites, but I'm more shocked at what Edmunds doesn't know about cars - cars that they buy, even. I mean, this is the reason they exist, right?
  • pjm75pjm75 Member Posts: 10
    You get 6 way power all leather Recaro Seats with the ST3 model
  • superenchiladasuperenchilada Member Posts: 7
    The 202A full leather Recaro is a power seat on the drivers side.
  • mhongmhong Member Posts: 1
    I signed in just to point out this inaccuracy. You can absolutely option power seats in the ST, just not in the trim package you selected. You have the ST2 trim, the ST3 includes a power drivers seat, heated seats, ambient lighting, a full leather interior, HID headlamps, and a number of other options.
  • mlavoiemlavoie Member Posts: 8
    Well, when you check their posts, it seems they really should have gone with the ST3 package, they complained about the lack of HID lights and now the seats.

What else is missing guys? :P
    The MSRP difference between their car and a completely-fully-loaded one is around $1,500. For that they would have gotten power drivers seat, heated seats, ambient lighting, full leather, HID headlamps with cornering lamps, puddle lights, the roof console, couple other minor items. Worth it to me, maybe not to them...but don't pass on those items and then go on about how the car "should" have them. Or claim that the $2,400 option package you DID get actually cost over $4,800.
  • lukas_mlukas_m Member Posts: 3
    The ST3 package does indeed have a 6-way power seat for the driver. Passenger seat is still manual though. Ford's website doesn't make this clear though.

See http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/3364-power-seats.html for a discussion.
  • flybigrcflybigrc Member Posts: 8
    I will also confirm that my ST3 package came with a Full Leather Recaro Heated POWER Driver's Seat.
  • wyattfwyattf Member Posts: 11
    Uh... you do get a power RECARO driver's seat in the ST3 level of the Focus ST (which includes the full leather). That said, I'm not sure it would solve your concerns necessarily. The motors aren't exactly lightning quick, and that side bolster continues to be a challenge to get over no matter how far back/forward or up/down the seat is.
  • frankenbikefrankenbike Member Posts: 3
    Your information from Ford is incorrect. The ST3 trim has power, heated, leather seats. It's sitting in my driveway right now. The seats are not an option for ST2 trim, which is what you guys have.

It also has a different center console, cupholders and ebrake location.
  • alex00322alex00322 Member Posts: 1
    The ST3 has power driver seats.
  • jconwell821jconwell821 Member Posts: 2
    The driver's side seat is powered on the ST3 trim level. Whoever you talked to at Ford doesn't know this. How do I know? I own one and have it!