Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Focus ST Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2013 Ford Focus ST Long-Term Road Test

Our Long-Term Road Test of the 2013 Ford Focus ST is complete after one year and 20,000 miles.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I don't think 23mpg avg is bad at all for a 252 hp sporty car. Especially compared to my 2013 Miata/MX5 CS. With only 170-ish hp I'm averaging 24 mpg.

Nice review.
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Putting this Focus ST in the same vein as the Integra Type R in regards to FWD handling is a heckuva compliment. I love the look and the paint color/interior. May have to look into getting one!
  • engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11
    Quaife America makes a Helical LSD for the Focus ST (http://quaifeamerica.com/qdf41z). It would have been a nice addition to a great little performance car and an improvement over the brake based differential.
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    Is it possible that you could add something to the summary that states Edmunds purchased an "ST2" trim level, as I can't recall it being mentioned during any of the coverage on this car. If someone went to purchase or research the ST there are three trim levels, the base ST1 with non-Recaro seats, the ST2 with cloth/partial leather Recaro seats, and the ST3 with heated leather Recaro seats and HIDs as the primary options (which I recall one writer complaining about not being available). That's what the dealers and Ford calls the three different equipment group packages here in the US market and it's very odd it was ignored during the entire time the car was in the long-term fleet.
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    Regarding the Integra Type R and Mazdaspeed 3, reviewing the testing/evaluation notes on the '08+ Cobalt SS Turbo as well as driving it back-to-back to the Focus ST will reveal a car with much better steering feel (completely lacking feedback in the ST), brakes that can handle more than a single road course lap without fade, a more refined ride quality, quicker in acceleration, and much better real-world fuel economy. From a driving dynamics standpoint it's probably the best balanced front driver that's been sold in the US market in recent years, although for someone wanting to buy new there aren't many great choices currently available and the ST (Focus and Fiesta) are probably the best hot hatch/front drive compacts if you're looking for a driver's car. It'll be nice to see what changes and upgrades Ford has in store for the 2015 models when the Focus gets refreshed.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    What's with the question marks all through the text? Some kind of formatting issue.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135
    wow seems like quit the depreciation hit - I would seriously consider getting one of these for $20K. Too bad the wife wants something automatic :(
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Isn't high first-year depreciation common on sport models like these? The savvy buyers who want them assume-- often rightly so-- that they've been driven hard.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I hate having to post a comment before being able to read the other ones. And the wrap up is loaded with '?' can you fix that? I was surprised at the depreciation until I realized you loaded this car up with a lot of options, and how much do people want to pay for a used compact? I enjoyed this long term test, it proved the car reliable, cheap to operate, and a ton of fun. If I were 23 again, I would give this car a try.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    I guess “thirsty” is a relative term. My 2008 VW Rabbit with the 2.5 5cyl and manual transmission would be lucky to get 23 average. It’s closer to 20. And it’s nowhere near as much fun as the Focus seems to be.
  • rickibobbirickibobbi Member Posts: 21
    ?
    I really like this car, but the high initial cost and depreciation is kind of off putting. I got a new 2012 MS3 for 21k, it's worth about 19-20k now. They are very comparable cars so I'm not sure why the big discrepancy. I get around the same gas mileage, have been at 30 mpg on long trips. I've put some suspension mods in for the track, nothing extreme, car is a super fun and CHEAP!
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Over 4 months and 9,000 miles of ownership I am averaging 31.2 mpg (worst 26.9, best 34.7). I don't necesarily drive conservatively, but my daily route is very conducive of high mpg. When the weather warms up again (high of -11F of Monday) I expect my mpg to range from 33-40... if I can resist driving like a hooligan. :)
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I like how the rear wiper comes on automatically when I put it in reverse and the windshield wipers are already on. I like how easy it was to swap wheels/tires, despite the TPMS. I like how comfortable the base seats are, and how the steering wheel feels near perfect in my hands. I like how there was zero learning curve for the controls (if you opt for a base model without the silly touchscreen). I like how, in a collision, it automatically turns on the emergency flashers and dials 911. I've always been kind of a no-frills guy, so this is absolutely the best "base model" vehicle I've ever owned.
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    n
  • gofortheneckgofortheneck Member Posts: 42
    Who the heck cares?
    ?
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    What was most interesting to me about this particular long term test was that the staff's impressions of the car were initially extremely good, but by the end of the test many started complaining about the seats and preferred the GTI. The depreciation wasn't completely unexpected (discounts and traditional Ford Focus levels of depreciation), but you guys definitely paid too much initially for the car.
  • evodadevodad Member Posts: 135