Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Ford

image2013 Ford Focus ST Long Term Road Test

Read daily updates on our long-term road test of the 2013 Ford Focus ST and follow along as our editors live with this car for a year.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    The interior looks appealing, if dark, in these photos. I like the idea of this car. I love my 2005 G35 for rear drive and interesting dynamics, but the weak point is the steering which lacks feel at legal speeds. I wonder if I'd be happy with ST coming from a rear drive car?
  • Options
    nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    Jederino, with the industry-wide migration to electric steering assist, which usually means a huge loss in road feel, I'm not sure many new cars will offer better steering feel than your G35. Even the BMW 3 Series is afflicted with numb steering, but at least it's linear and precise. I've tested the Focus ST twice, and rented a regular Focus, and their EPS is among the best IMO. I actually prefer it to the 328i's steering. It does not offer lots of feedback, but unlike most EPS systems, it provides solid on center feel, which produces a satisfying "locked in" sensation. It is a little artificial, but effective nonetheless.
  • Options
    pjm75pjm75 Member Posts: 10
    Love the fact that it is a wolf in sheep's clothing, when I'm out on the highway. We've taken several trips from PA to KY and the car is a joy to drive. Getting up to speed on access ramps or around slow-pokes is so effortless. But the rural back roads is where this car will really shine at about 8/10's, it won't get floaty and lose it's composure. Great all-around vehicle.
  • Options
    jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    Nedmundo, that's good to know. I read about the new C7 switching to EPS, and the lead engineer was honest in saying it is a couple generations away from providing the same feedback as the best hydraulic systems. But, he also suggested in the C7 they could improve on what the 911 had. Brash words.