Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Kia Forte EX Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Kia

image2014 Kia Forte EX Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Kia Forte's suspension isn't as refined as those in some competitors.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    This is where if you can get lucky enough to find one on a rental lot it is great to be able to rent a car before you buy.
  • Options
    blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    FINALLY, a good remark on the unrefined suspension in Hyundai / Kias. Up here, finding smooth roads is more the issue. That's why I bought a Sentra in 2008 - the Renault chassis is good on lunar pavement.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    I test-drove the Forte5 SX hatch recently, and deliberately looked for the potholes (wasn't hard!) and tested this very thing, and was very pleasantly surprised by how I was UNABLE to elicit this behavior (unlike in my Hyundai Veloster), and how much better dampened this car is compared to my current ride. It also has clearly superior sound insulation.

I'll take the Forte5 over the noisy, rattle-box that the Mazda3 is.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    This can't-get-suspension-calibrations-right is a recurring theme with Hyundai/Kia. There is a lot right with these cars, but this problem is a real deal-killer for me.
  • Options
    tigerhelitigerheli Member Posts: 2
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/149372-kyb-rear-shocks-installed.html

Replacement shocks can make a HUGE difference, though - that is for an Elantra, but it's the same chassis and the same shocks will fit the Forte.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Agreed-- definitely test-drive a car on imperfect pavement. Every time I walk in to a dealership I think to myself, "Where's there a crummy road nearby that I can test this car on because I have to drive roads like it regularly?" (Un)fortunately in many parts of California that's not a hard question to answer.