Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 Lexus LS 600h L Full Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Lexus

image2013 Lexus LS 600h L Full Test

We drive the revamped 2013 Lexus LS 600h L, a hybrid luxury sedan that attempts to blend the latest technology with a green pedigree.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    I'm sure the car is a true rolling palace. A vault of security and tranquility. And the interior is on par with anything on the road today, and the front end is a nice, and needed update. But dynamically it definitely needs a redesign, hopefully for 2015.

The weight has certainly gotten out of control. The GS450h weighs 1000 lbs less? And it get's 50% better fuel economy! Something tells me the two are connected.

The "More Lexus to Love" also isn't helping acceleration, not that this fortress would really let you feel anything that might disturb you in the first place. 0-60 in 6.4 is simply unacceptable in this class, even with Edmunds classically slow times.

Recommendations: 500 HP, which will require a tuning of the V8,m and better batteries, which I'm sure are coming next time around.

Drop the standard AWD. That will save around 250 lbs. Of course, you can make it an option.

Aluminum/Carbon Fibre. At these prices, more precious metals than steel should be used to get weight down. That should drop another 200 lbs alone by updating the suspension, hood, trunk, wheels, etc.

Get that power to weight closer to 9:1, and the 0-60 should drop to around 5 seconds, fuel economy will get to 25-30 MPG combined, and the car will be more balanced in all situations.

And it may actually be a sound value in performance, efficiency, and style, regardless of price. A good first attempt, but I'm sure the best is yet to come from Lexus when it comes to a true flagship at the top of the LS range.
  • Options
    rks838rks838 Member Posts: 6
    Slowest 440hp car in the world.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Some of you make me smile. Lexus may well have given it 440hp but I would bet they have torque managed the motor to give smooth take offs while sacrificing a few tenths on the 0-60. They have done this because their main buyers base does not give a rat's about 0-60, they just like to waft. As for Edmunds only getting 19 mpg, I cannot say I am surprised given their admitted impatience/enthusiasm.
  • Options
    shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    Great car, terrible value. Its buyers don't have to worry about the relative value though.
  • Options
    AJT123AJT123 Member Posts: 0
    I don't see spending $120k for this when you could get a sick regular LS for 80k, but man oh man I bet it "wafts" like no other. I read some article about this car where they said it approaches Rolls Royce waftability, actually because of the extra weight. The LS is already one SOLID car.
  • Options
    jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    This car is outfitted for car service duty- a VIP being driven from place to place, probably in town, and mostly in traffic. So flipping the keys to a hipster with a laptop and access to a drag strip doesn't speak to the car's mission. Hybrids shine in city driving, so it has potential for greater economy in town, and less emissions mean less smog. Makes a lot of sense within the narrow framework of its real market segment.