Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long-Term Test of the 2014 Mazda CX-5 and comments on its driving character.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I don't know why people keep saying that Mazda's are superior in driving dynamics. Is their marketing that effective? Sure, that philosophy holds when you're sitting in a Mazdaspeed3 (or Mazdaspeed anything), the new Mazda 6, and obviously the RX-8 and MX-5... but I had the misfortune of renting a base Mazda 3 for a week and in terms of driving dynamics it was truly a piece of crap. I had no idea what the front tires were doing most of the time through the dead steering, brake feel was only so-so, the throttle response is lazy, and it had the worst automatic transmission outside of a Corolla. The Mazda 5 is pretty similar.

With so many people claiming the CX-5 is a cut above in terms of driving dynamics I have to believe that there's something to it, but not every car in Mazda's lineup is a gem.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    duck87, I think the point is about how Mazdas perform relative to cars in their segment. No, the Mazda3 you rented doesn't belong in the same conversation as the Mazdaspeed3, RX-8 or Miata. But when you're talking about the compact class and the base models typically found on rental lots, I wonder which car would be more dynamically satisfying than the Mazda3. The Mazda5 doesn't really have any competition but it is more dynamically satisfying than the departed Kia Rondo. I drive a CX-9 and when I bought it (2009) I tried just about every other 3 row crossover. Pilot, Highlander, Acadia, Enclave, Tribeca. They all had their strengths and I love the diversity in this class as there truly is something for everyone. The CX-9 was by far the most engaging drive or all of them. It was not even close. It gave up a bit in terms of features and ride quality and it's no standout when it comes to efficiency. But it was the most entertaining drive in a fairly boring segment. So that's the point of this post. I think Mazda does a nice drive of understanding each segment and delivery the most fun driver in each.
  • uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    duck87, The first Mazda I ever drove was Mazda 3 rental. Based on my driving experience with that car . I now own a 2007 MX5 GT and 2014 CX5 GT AWD. I traded my 2010 Rav 4 V6 for the CX5 and don't miss the Toyota at all . This is the first time since 1972 I have not owned a Toyota. If you like to drive FUN cars MAZDA ROCKS!
  • vtx1vtx1 Member Posts: 2
    I love my 2014 CX5 Touring AWD as well. It actually drives a lot better than many sedans out there with mushy handling and dynamics. The 6-speed tranny is a true gem. Perfect ratios and very responsive. I wish I had little more power when I'm carrying passengers in the backseat, but that's a rarity. I'm consistently getting 26-27 mpg.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Yeah yeah, I knew I would get a lot of hate for what I wrote, but I won't apologize for the piece of crap I had to drive. And for the record, base model to base model, I thought the Ford Focus had way better handling, especially over bumps, than the Mazda 3. As for the CX-5, I don't know what kind of sedans you drive but there's no way it's better than a Fusion or Accord.