Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

We've cleared 5,000 miles in Edmunds' long-term 2014 Mazda CX-5.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    they could have met in the middle and gone with 18s. Also check out the price for new tires for that in 19"
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I agree. 19s are overkill on many cars.
  • Options
    uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    Well I for one like the 19's. I drove the touring before the GT and didn't find much difference in ride or noise. Coming from a Rav. 4 sport with 18's the CX5 GT ..better ride...less road noise and a lot better looking. Fashion be dammed I love the look. The 17's look tiny on CX5.
  • Options
    seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    This whole obsession with looks has gone too far, in my opinion. Tires have a job to do, and many times the lower profile tires simply can't fulfill their role in the complete system of tire/wheel/suspension in an effective way. Unless the vehicle is a carefully tuned sports car, low profile tires are an expensive joke, prone to road hazard damage, rough riding, very expensive to replace, shorter treadlife, and kind of senseless given the other parameters of the vehicle and its suspension and steering. There were some very sweet-handling cars, with good ride and responsive steering, years ago before the ultra low profile trend. These days steering is mostly indifferent, and the supposed benefits are really misplaced.
  • Options
    cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    These tires aren't even low profile. They're 55 series tires! The same goes for the 2014 MZ6 - they have 45 series tires which are low pro, but the sidewall height is no shorter than it was on the 2013 Mazda6 with 18 inch wheels and the ride is great and crashes LESS over hard bumps than a 2013 Altima with 16" steelies! I rented one and was appalled at how badly the suspension crashed, the MZ6 is obviously firmer but way more composed.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I actually find a nice fat sidewall to be more visually appealing than rubber bands on huge clunky wheels.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    And even with the large-diameter wheel and tire combo of 19s with 55-series tires, that is a huge dead-cat space between the tires and the wheel lips on the fenders. They could put 22s with 60-series tires on it and it wouldn't fill that space.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I have a CX-9 and, even thought I wanted fog lights and turn indicators on the side mirrors, I chose the Touring that doesn't have those features, in order to avoid the 20" wheels that come on the Grand Touring. They ride bit harsher than the 18" wheels on the Sport and Touring models with no real benefit.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Isn't it better to just take the 20s and sell them and buy 18s instead of doing without the fogs and turn signal indicators you wanted? They're just wheels and tires - they come right off.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    thinking the same thing fordson1.

i am sure the dealership would have been more than happy to swap some wheels off a lesser model.