Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2015 in Mazda
image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

In my view, the 2014 Mazda CX-5 and Honda CR-V are pretty evenly matched. But the driving position in the CX-5 might tip my decision in favor of the Mazda.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    How does the driving position compare to the Mazda3? For that matter, is the CX5 simply a lifted Mazda3 (or the Mazda3 a slammed CX5)? Or is there more to it than that?
  • Options
    shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    You'd think that, given that all these Edmunds writers are supposed to be auto enthusiasts, the fact that the CR-V can't be had with a MANUAL transmission would be enough reason alone to not choose one over a CX5.
  • Options
    dougal1098dougal1098 Member Posts: 8
    The CX-5 cabin is set for the driver. The seat, controls and shifters are all designed around the driver. In the CR-V, I found this not to be the case. In addition, and this is going to sound terrible, but the interior of the CR-V feels like it is designed for a 60 year old women. I personally felt that the Honda drove like it was meant for a 60 year old women as well. And yes, I traded in my CR-V for the Mazda.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Beyond that initial comparison review between the Honda and Mazda, this is one of the few times where any of the editors clearly stated why they'd get the Honda even though the Mazda is supposed to be for the enthusiast driver (or for those who think they are enthusiast drivers... this is a cute-ute after all). So thanks for the additional insight. Are there any other dealbreakers/makers between the two?
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    7driver - I think the CX-5 actually shares its platform with the Mazda 6, not the 3 even though its footprint is closer to the 3. Making it more confusing is that it's sometimes described as driving like a tall 3.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    "...I think it's quieter at highway speeds." ... Possibly the first time a Honda has ended up on the positive end of such a comparison. :P
  • Options
    trarmstrong86trarmstrong86 Member Posts: 46
    Plus, the Mazda looks better.
  • Options
    charmander7charmander7 Member Posts: 1

The CX-5 cabin is set for the driver. The seat, controls and shifters are all designed around the driver. In the CR-V, I found this not to be the case. In addition, and this is going to sound terrible, but the interior of the CR-V feels like it is designed for a 60 year old women. I personally felt that the Honda drove like it was meant for a 60 year old women as well. And yes, I traded in my CR-V for the Mazda.

Thanks for the post. I am a 60 yr old women and am trying to decide between the two cars. I'll take a closer look at the Honda. LOL
  • Options
    izzy223izzy223 Member Posts: 3
    I just traded my Honda CRV for a CX5 and yes slightly because I saw many senior citizen women driving them, lol. I needed my cool factor back. But, I digress. I am searching for comments on the comfort of the driver cloth seating. So far I think I've finding them somewhat uncomfortable and I'm shorter, 5' 5" .
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We have lots of Consumer Reviews you can skim through, including some sorted by "shorter" drivers (although you are too tall to make our cut). Maybe you'll get some ideas there - someone is using some sort of wedge device.