Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds long-term update of the 2014 Mazda CX-5 includes installation of the Mazda Accessories trailer hitch.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    uthikeruthiker Member Posts: 18
    Hey all...I'm sure this is a great hitch but....I just installed a Curt class 2 hitch on my 2014 cx5 GT AWD....in a little over an hour by myself....and NO cutting required and it looks great. Check it out Curt hitch 12080. Less than $130 at the big A on line. PS LOVE the CX5
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Oh goody, now you can hang bikes all over the back obscuring your tail lights and turn signals.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Again I'm telling you guys now that it's irresponsible to install a trailer hitch without wiring. As for installing the hitch in about two hours that is a bit above average from what I have seen of amateur hitch installs go especially on a crossover which usually have more complex hitch installs.
  • Options
    benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    Will be interesting to see if the added weight of that hunk of metal will have any impact on fuel economy.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I installed a hitch on my Forester for exactly the same reason. Then hauled my bike from Chicago to NYC to do the 5 Boroughs Bike Ride.

For my MG however I have to use a roof rack because I would have to have a receiver hitch custom made. Since I don't have a garage though, no risk of crunching my bike.
  • Options
    wheelmccoy_wheelmccoy_ Member Posts: 10
    For cyclists with a roof rack, you can put something big in your spot in the garage. When you return, you'll think "WTF... oh yeah."

But since you have to lift the bike over your head, a roof rack it more suited to a low vehicle -- I am thinking of a wagon. For the CX-5, a tow hitch makes sense. Hope to see it in action.
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    @benson2175 That hitch probably weighs about 35-45 lbs at most and will NOT effect the fuel economy of the vehicle this is true of virtually any vehicle class a Microcar (Smartcar, Fiat 500, etc) at the point there are too many factors to reliably calcula
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I would still love to see how the CX-5 does towing a small kart trailer.