Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda

image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Our Mazda CX-5 is quite handy if you have a long commute thanks to its ability to read text messages.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "If you're stationary, it will display the message on the main screen. Of course, at that point you could just look at your phone so I'm not sure how much of a help it really is." Don't try this in Nevada. If the motor is running and you are on a road, do not handle your phone, even at a light. I'm OK with this as no text message is that urgent.
  • Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I have this in my F-150 but the iPhone does not work with it, another reason to get rid of the iPhone.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I get that we're trying to make texts accessible without someone looking into their lap and getting into a head on collision, but the only worthwhile concept out there is being able to live without looking at your phone for twenty minutes. At least were I live, the issue seems to be getting worse. I see a staggering number of people looking at their crotches while doing some guesswork with the steering wheel, each and every day, regardless of age. Texts are only going to tell you one thing, something you could have gone your entire life without knowing. If its actually important, you'll get a call, and it'll probably be bad news anyway. Bah, I'm on a rant with no discernible end. Put the phone down guys!
  • Options
    ed124ced124c Member Posts: 0
    I don't think I understand how a cop can stop someone-- especially on the highway at 70+ mph. I think the only way the cop could have a case would be if he was along side the perps car, watching the perp holding up his phone and tap, tap, tapping away. And that is most unlikely. No, the answer is to block out texting in any cars that don't have the text converted to voice. Same with just an ordinary cell phone-- the law would make it impossible to have a moving car receive cell calls directly into the cell phone. I am sure this could be done.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    " instead of worrying about a ticket" ---- hmmm, interesting when even the driving enthusiasts site the fear of a ticket rather than the fact that it probably isn't a good idea to be reading something you are holding while driving --- like the person that after a long night of drinking decides not to drive home because of fear of getting a ticket rather than fear of injuring or killing someone by doing it. ---- If only I were so important that every attempt by someone out there to contact me were urgent to where seconds count. What if I don't get their message and reply in time???? The rocket may crash into Mars if I don't respond right now with the correct trajectory numbers!!!!!! Oh wait, its just work telling me there's a meeting at 9:00.
  • Options
    diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    Actually, in British Columbia if you are caught looking at your phone - even when stopped at a stoplight - you can get fined $150! The only way you're legally allowed to do that is if you pull over to the side of the road.

A few people I know have been ticketed, so this option would be good because apparently phones and the multi-function displays on modern cars are very different in terms of how they operate, according to the police....
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    +1 zimtheinvader. Way to miss the point, Edmunds.
  • Options
    m3winsagainm3winsagain Member Posts: 1
    Just curious, but does the cx5 come with a 6 cd disk changer in the grand touring trim
  • Options
    DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    Our Sienna's system will prompt you if you want the text read to you; then you can voice reply and it will send that as a text for you. That's the way to go when it comes to texting while driving.
  • Options
    yetiwagon_yetiwagon_ Member Posts: 4
    Joshua might sound kind of quaint. The computer voice in my '14 Forester sounds like the sex slave auctioneer at the end of 'Taken.' I keep expecting Liam Neeson to put a gun to my head when I use it. Seriously creepy.
  • Options
    netjunkynetjunky Member Posts: 3
    I have the 2014 CX5 as well. I like the concept of the feature but hate that it take a long time to load the message which disables whatever you are streaming from your phone. Also it lags/delays on the bluetooth streaming. My other comparison is the Toyota Prius with the HDD Navigation system that works more fluid and a lot faster about these quirks.