Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mercedes-Benz

image2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test

The 2005 Mercedes CL65 AMG may have a monster engine, but its brakes are equally prodigious.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    You really have to. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 are on really good sale at Tire Rack. I think they would suit this car really well. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 that you have on the CL65 now are supposed to be the next level in all season performance, though. So you may not see a huge improvement.
  • Options
    iloveyogapantsiloveyogapants Member Posts: 20
    Well, the brakes should be good considering the rotors are $900 each!!!! OWWWIIEEE!!!
  • Options
    dmosdmos Member Posts: 8
    What you've established is not that the tires are "ho hum" all seasons, but instead very respectable in their performance compared to summer only ones. Good brakes make repeatable performances like this possible by absorbing and venting heat, good tires allow you to clamp down and minimize ABS cycling to get a good stop number. I'd be interested to see if you could do any better with summers before the end of this test.
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Well, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that a $180,000 (when new) AMG has good brakes. In fact, if it didn't THAT would be the surprise.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    "unremarkable all-season tires". Someone might want to read the comments on the February 27th article, or read Tirerack.com reviews.
    Honestly, switching to a good summer tire might eek out a little more performance from this car, but I don't think we'll see a significant difference. I also agree with dmos.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Summer tires might help you gain a few feet. But as I commented in the performance article, those are some mahoosive rotors, the same size as wheels on mid 2000s compact cars....
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    If you're talking about brake jump-in, or ability to modulate, ability to rotate under trail-braking, etc. those are measures of brake performance as well as tire performance. But if you are talking about just flat braking distance, on a car this heavy that does not have a remarkably large tire footprint for its weight, that is a measure of about 80% tire adhesion and 20% ABS performance. "No matter the vehicle segment, the all-season average is usually between 120 and 125 feet. Although I can't be certain (our digital database of track numbers only goes back so far), there's a very good chance this is the best all-season stopping distance we've ever recorded." But...they're totally unremarkable tires. And rock-hard. Edmunds almost never fails to buy unremarkable replacement tires for its cars, but now for once you DO have some really good replacement tires tires on one of your cars...and you can't wait to get rid of them.