Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a Long-Term Test of the 2013 Tesla Model S and takes it on a road trip.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    pqlyur1pqlyur1 Member Posts: 14
    I may have missed it in an earlier post, but does running the heat in an all electric vehicle cause a drastic drop in range?
  • Options
    dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    The heat, yes. The heated seats, no. So don't run the heater at full blast and drive 85mph and you'll have 200+ miles of range.
  • Options
    paco3791paco3791 Member Posts: 4
    I am generally interested in how you feel about the pacing of the trip. Do the stops seem like they are too long? or are do they feel like a welcome break in the long drive? I would also be interested in your overall energy consumption during the trip. reset one of the trip meters before you go and post what you get as you go along. Also interested to know what kind of power you get out of the SC's along the way. some should be upgraded to 120kw from the original 90 so it would be interesting to know how the two different types compare and if you notice any difference in actual charge time between the two types.
  • Options
    jjacquotjjacquot Member Posts: 16
    Spoken as if these folks wouldn't otherwise feel free to voice it here.
  • Options
    bobc116bobc116 Member Posts: 0
    I'd appreciate hearing about your experience at the charging stations along the route.
  • Options
    jvonbokeljvonbokel Member Posts: 14
    FWIW, when I drove my Model S from St Louis to Appleton, Wisconsin, I was partially expecting the supercharging stops to be a minor disruption, but acceptable for the fact that it was free energy. I was surprised at how quickly the time went by at each stop, and it wound up creating a nice pace to the trip. Also, each stop was a perfect time to switch drivers.

In one instance (at Rockford) we chatted with a curious onlooker for a bit in the parking lot, and by the time we went to the bathroom and sat down at a restaurant, I checked my phone and discovered we already had the range we needed, so we decided to hop back in the car and just hit a drive-thru on our way out of town instead of sitting down for a meal.