Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Software release v5.8 was recently pushed out all 2013 Tesla Model S sedans, and it brings with it many very useful improvements.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    I guess you delayed posting this update since 5.8 came out a few weeks ago. They just released 5.8.4 to address the issue of bad wiring creating an overheating issue.
  • Options
    dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    They accidentally posted four stories in a row one night last month. They quickly retracted all but one of them and then over the course of the next couple of weeks released them when they felt like it. I imagine they have 4 to 6 stories on hand at all times. I think I installed 5.8 over a month ago and these features have been discussed in great detail on the forums for quite some time.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @dunning15: I'm guessing that was the time you magically knew about the Tesla sidewall bubble ahead of time. I won't lie, I cracked an eyebrow at that one.
  • Options
    dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    ;)
  • Options
    kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    This is why having a software upgradable system is so cool. As time goes by, the software will continue to get improved and new features will get released.

It can be dangerous, though, if sufficient testing isn't applied to every release. Nothing like having a critical bug that could affect your daily drive.
  • Options
    ajbbbajbbb Member Posts: 2
    I wonder about "feature creep" in the Tesla. How do you maintain the simplicity of the interface while adding features? Do you delete features in several years when few users actually use them? The only analogue I can think of is the fairly rapid change from tape decks to 1/8" audio inputs to usb inputs, though all of these required physical changes to the audio interface. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    There's a little delay in posting. It's not same day, but it isn't anything like 4 weeks, either. For my part, I accepted the update as soon as it showed up on the screen, but wrote it up a week later in light of the holidays. Anyway, none of this changes the fact that it's unique.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    I love this system, in theory. But it's not all cake and roses in update land. Features can be REMOVED as well as added, either for thematic reasons (removal of "projected range" display on the instrument panel) or, more disturbingly, in response to public pressure (removal of suspension settings in response to battery fires, charge current reduction in response to garage fire, etc). Expect a few Edmunds articles on the latter two, once they discover the changes.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Most of these will mean little to most people. But some of them will mean a lot to some people. And that's what's fantastic about this type of update. It's relatively cheap to make these adjustments and you get to satisfy a lot of customers whose concerns would never had been addressed if a full recall was required.

It will be interesting however to see how this plays out over time. The auto industry is built on the notion of obsolescence. From minor tweaks to special editions to enhanced powertrains, the marketing departments at every automaker are expert in making the customer feel like their existing car has just been bested by the one that was just released. How will Tesla manage as it matures? The could perpetually update the software so that older cars can do everything that newer ones can. Or they can take an approach like Apple where updates are frequently available but at some point, older models no longer benefit updates (other than ones related to security or stability).