Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

Comments

• Options
    mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    Sneaking in before fordson1: "but 90% of AMerica can't take a road trip in one!" "if it's so great, why does it have so many fewer miles than the CX-5?" "expensive" "what about apartment dwellers?"

Did I miss any? :)
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    What impresses me about the Tesla is that its different. Sure there's some other electric cars out there, but here you've got a really fast, large luxury sedan over a huge flat battery and four electric motors. Nobody is (successfully) making an electric car like this one for the moment. I appreciate them breaking the mold. Also, the build quality impresses me. I'm not actually saying that the build quality is good (although mechanical quality does seem good, even if interior may be slightly lacking), but its a spectacular first attempt at making a car from the ground up. Other things like the aforementioned door handles are just fluff, so that shouldn't impress. Even things like the suspension set-up, which is definitely important, isn't per-say impressive because I'd venture to say the ride is just as good, or maybe even better, in an A8 or S-Class. So there you go, the novelty and effort impress me.
  • Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    And, in a rare alignment of automotive critiques, Consumer Reports gave this car their highest rating ever: a test score of 99. I would stretch the budget to buy this car.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    the offer of a ride would get me to leave the cheese store too. although I can't say I ever hung out around any kind of store, there's something very humorous about reading that Mark hangs out at a cheese store.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Why, no, mfennell, I think you hit them all. (fordson1 hits "post," goes on with life; mfennell gets another can of Red Bull from fridge, resumes watching all Tesla S posts for more fordson1 comments).
  • Options
    Also, yeah - the "hanging around the cheese store" line got me, too. Mark, did you know that lots of artisanal cheese-makers age their products in caves? Caves usually have bats in them - there's a mental image for you. My work here is done.
  • Options
    stoneymonsterstoneymonster Member Posts: 28
    @quadricycle- It's only got one electric motor, between the rear wheels.
  • Options
    mtakahashi_mtakahashi_ Member Posts: 12
    fordson1: That's mean...just mean...but I'm glad you're paying attention! BTW, the Cheese Store is run by total car nuts just like us. The owner has a VERY eclectic collection (including a Ferrari 330GT with a small-block chevy in it).
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Mr. Takahashi, I had this idea yesterday and was planning on exploiting it greedily, but given your apparent interest in the subject, I will let you have it!

Open a cheese shop that specializes in different varieties of Swiss cheese only. Call it, "Hole Foods".

(And, boom goes the dynamite.)
  • Options
    wheelmccoy_wheelmccoy_ Member Posts: 10
    >> The owner has a VERY eclectic collection (including a Ferrari 330GT with a small-block chevy in it).

I read "including a Ferrari 330GT with a small block of cheese in it."

That does it, time to log off!
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @stoneymonster: Yes, you're right. I knew that so I'm not sure what lead me to type that... Perhaps I'm getting senile a little early.
  • Options
    To be honest, I love good cheese enough that even without the cars, I don't mind spending time in a place like that.