Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Our 2013 Tesla Model S has had a few software issues, and this is our latest one.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    The ipone may not have cost 100,000 but in proportion to what would be a basic phone it is far more expensive than a Model S. And the iPhone is touted as being perfect by most. --- And for crying out loud, the satellites don't send you the maps. All the satellites do is send out a time code that is read by the GPS and it can tell by how long it took for the time code to get to you from the specific satellite how far away from each satellite you are. With that data from multiple satellites it can then tell where you are. --- any actual map data would have to come through regular cell towers or be stored in the system.
  • Options
    sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    What computer or smartphone doesn't need a re-start now and then? Seems like nearly every electronic device with a processor nowadays needs to be restarted occasionally. Not great but routine.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @sharpend: A car is not a smartphone. I'm pretty sure this is beating a dead horse at this point, but it's unacceptable when basic functions in a car can be rendered inaccessible because the main user interface decides to die on you. If this is to be cons
  • Options
    330i_zhp330i_zhp Member Posts: 55
    @duck87 - I don't disagree that basic functions (such as those most cars use buttons/switches for) shouldn't need a reboot of any kind just b/c they are part of a new interface. That said, these interfaces are still relatively new. I, for one, am ok wit
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Even with these constant reboots, your Model S has still had a LOT fewer issues than mine. In fact, I'd gladly take a freeze-prone infotainment system over the multiple build-quality issues my car had to start. Of course, I guess my issues were one and done while yours appears to be a continuing annoyance.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The NSA have removed those places from the map as you have no need to know of their existence. Now go back to your home and send some raunchy emails to amuse their staff.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    And this is why I'm still very skeptical of driverless cars. I've never crashed my car, but with electronics it isn't a question of if they'll crash, but when. And the answer to that is "frequently".
  • Options
    mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    So, what is the threshold of acceptability for glitches then? Unacceptable in a $100K car. Acceptable in a $700 phone. Perhaps somewhere in the $5000 range?
    The problem with physical buttons/switches: when they break (and they do), you're done. It's a trip to the dealer and bill for you. With a touch screen, you may have to do it more often, but all it costs you is the breath it takes to sigh in exasperation and 30 seconds of your time. Given the choice, I'll take the latter any day.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @mayhemm: On the flip side of what you're saying, a simple button is easy and cheap to diagnose, and then fix (Heck, I can do it myself). Get it fixed, and it'll stay that way for ten more years. This touchscreen on the other hand, continuously develops p
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    I have to agree with quad on that one. First, I've never had a button "break" (only lighting, and that's on a 15 year car... and yes, I'm including the absolute beater RX-7 I had once).

As for the question: The threshold for acceptability in glitches for a CAR should be ZERO. It could even be considered life threatening if you're trying to get AC when it's nearly 105 deg outside and you can't get it to work because your touchscreen is broken (or it's -20 and you need some heat). Or if you crash because it took you several seconds to look away from the phone diddling with the screen. Honestly, I'm not even sure how this is a valid argument.